All-Star Which Competitions Will Still Score And Rank Special Needs Teams This Season?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The issue I have with exhibition only is that it's treating these athletes like they're a very heartwarming halftime performance. They're athletes, not a judge's break in between divisions. If a coach wants his or her athletes to be scored, there should be that opportunity.

The issue I have with exhibition only is that it's treating these athletes like they're a very heartwarming halftime performance. They're athletes, not a judge's break in between divisions. If a coach wants his or her athletes to be scored, there should be that opportunity.

How can you consider them judges breaks when they are receiving comments? Every single competition I have judged this year with SN teams we had to give feedback ...-- granted they did max out on the score I believe?

I dont know if I was a coach -- the judges commenting and giving feedback would be more important than being scored.

Special olympics sponsored horse back riding for my daughter's special needs self contained preschool class when she was 3. My daughter started in the county special olympics spring games in kindergarten in their jr athlete division. Sadly, due to her medical issues, participating in their track program is no longer possible for her, but she did enjoy it while she could do it. You can not be on an offical competitive team until you are age 8. Special olympics is a great program, but they are restrictire on who qualifies. There are also many athletes with profound special needs who do not qualify for special olympics who thrive on special needs cheer teams. I am not going to apologize for being passionate about this topic. Special needs programs are one of the best parts of allstar cheer. Nowhere else do you see typical athletes care so much about those who are disabled. It does so much for athletes, their families, helpers, and the gyms as a whole. I know of quite a few helpers who have gone on to be special education teachers, nurses, and therapists because of their experiences working on a special needs team. In fact a former helper is interning at my kids' therapy center right now.

How can you consider them judges breaks when they are receiving comments? Every single competition I have judged this year with SN teams we had to give feedback ...-- granted they did max out on the score I believe?

I dont know if I was a coach -- the judges commenting and giving feedback would be more important than being scored.
Some of the competitons where they are exhibition, they are not getting comments.

Special olympics sponsored horse back riding for my daughter's special needs self contained preschool class when she was 3. My daughter started in the county special olympics spring games in kindergarten in their jr athlete division. Sadly, due to her medical issues, participating in their track program is no longer possible for her, but she did enjoy it while she could do it. You can not be on an offical competitive team until you are age 8. Special olympics is a great program, but they are restrictire on who qualifies. There are also many athletes with profound special needs who do not qualify for special olympics who thrive on special needs cheer teams. I am not going to apologize for being passionate about this topic. Special needs programs are one of the best parts of allstar cheer. Nowhere else do you see typical athletes care so much about those who are disabled. It does so much for athletes, their families, helpers, and the gyms as a whole. I know of quite a few helpers who have gone on to be special education teachers, nurses, and therapists because of their experiences working on a special needs team. In fact a former helper is interning at my kids' therapy center right now.
I don't have a special needs child, but it is something I feel passionate about. My daughter's dance studio has included special needs students for as long as we have been there. She has been involved with special needs dancers since she was 3. At her studio, special needs dancers are involved in mainstream classes. They typically participate with younger students than their chronological age, but are placed where the parents and studio director feel they fit best. We have several who have been at the studio 10, 15, or more years. They are amazing people, and the benefit to them as well as my daughter and the other typical kids is tremendous. They are learning that everyone is different and that is ok. They are learning that obstacles can be overcome with love and patience. They are learning that special needs kids are really just kids, and should be included. They are establishing real and lasting friendships. This is important, for these kids, and for all kids. Our kids need to be exposed to all types of kids. They need to learn how to be kind, accepting, and loving to everyone. They need to learn that differences are ok. Special needs programs like cheer and dance are in a unique position to allow this. I feel that they are important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So is there anybody who IS still scoring? It will make a difference in choreography since there are rules for competitive divisions, and my friend wants to know early so that their routine can be choreographed accordingly...or not.

So is there anybody who IS still scoring? It will make a difference in choreography since there are rules for competitive divisions, and my friend wants to know early so that their routine can be choreographed accordingly...or not.
The majority of the competitions in Atlanta that were not run by Cheersport or NCA were already exhibition.

I do wonder if they will be performing 1 day or 2 now that they are all exhibition. If they are only going for 1 day, will all the stp rules apply as far as minimum 3 days stays? That would be pricey for a lot of families and some teams may have second thoughts about participating if this is the case. I don't know. There are a lot of unanswered questions about this. It will be interesting to see what happens this year. Time will tell. We have never had to travel, so I do not know much about stp.

Sorry for such a long break, but lots of work stuff going on right now.

For NCA, I know the teams will only perform once and it will be Saturday morning in the Arena. I don't have those details on Cheersport right now.

I'm not aware of any EPs scoring, but I'm sure there has to be. If anyone finds out, please let me know.

There are lots of people working to change this situation and I hope it's just a one year issue.

As to SO cheer, there are states doing it and I had experience with it in Kentucky. No disrespect intended to SO, but I would rather have the athletes getting coached by all star cheer coaches. Also, the biggest reason all star cheer has been better over the years for special needs is that the cheer year is longer. The repetition is fantastic for these athletes.

For teams only wanting to exhibition when the EP scores the division, I'm not aware of any EP denying the request.

**I don't post often, but, when I do, I'm right.**

I just saw this posted online..

AlARBEA.jpg

Right, I think it's really neat! I love that they're giving them Worlds bids.
I will be the bad guy here. I fully support the Special Athlete division. It really is one of the highlights of every competition to me. If Worlds is just for Senior and International level 5 teams, then that is how it should stay. I feel the division is a much better fit at Summit than it is at Worlds.

I will be the bad guy here. I fully support the Special Athlete division. It really is one of the highlights of every competition to me. If Worlds is just for Senior and International level 5 teams, then that is how it should stay. I feel the division is a much better fit at Summit than it is at Worlds.

There have been special needs teams at Worlds for many years now, way before the Summit came along. I remember when Kentucky Elite's SN went to Worlds back in like 2006 or 2007. And the Summit is just Varsity, so other EP's wouldn't be able to give out bids.

There have been special needs teams at Worlds for many years now, way before the Summit came along. I remember when Kentucky Elite's SN went to Worlds back in like 2006 or 2007. And the Summit is just Varsity, so other EP's wouldn't be able to give out bids.
I know they have, but I feel it is unfair that they took away the Junior 5 division with the reasoning being "it is just for Senior and International level 5 teams" but still have the Special Athletes there. I realize mine is an unpopular opinion. You have a good point that Summit is just Varsity, but I still think it is a better fit for the division, and US Finals is an option as well.

Back