All-Star Which Competitions Will Still Score And Rank Special Needs Teams This Season?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I see your reasoning, I agree with your points. It makes me scratch my head a little that this thread was about SN teams not competing and only exhibitioning but it's ok if they only exhibition at worlds. Ehhh do you see what I'm getting at? Yes it's worlds and the whole cheer industry seems to revolve around this one competition and it's a great moment for them but at the end of the day, it's just another exhibition. After NCA, after Cheersport, after every single competition they can only exhibition at.

I would really like to see more opportunities for these teams to actually compete. Or at least have the option to if they wanted. I realize not all teams would want to or couldn't. If I was on a team like that, there's no doubt I'd be happy to at least have a resource where I could do things non-SN people do, but I'd get pretty annoyed after a while of being put on some pedestal while being held back and being specially congratulated for doing something that I did, despite my disability. Because it would put me in a situation where, once again, my disability would be my identity and it's publicly pointed out that I am different from my peers. And others are deciding what I can and can't do when they don't even know me. While I'm sure many SN people embrace their disability, they probably want environments where people can see them as "an athlete" rather than "an athlete with special needs."

I don't know, to me, the special needs teams not being able to compete sounds like EPs saying "oh we really love what you're able to do but we don't think you are able to actually compete." Is it ok to be aware of the limitations people have? Of course. Is it ok to limit what they can do because of said limitations? I would say no. Give them the opportunity to decide for themselves. If they want to compete, awesome! If they don't want to compete, it's just as equally awesome.

I'll get of my soapbox now.
Very well said.

My daughter (Down syndrome) is starting her 11th year on her Special Needs team. It has been the best thing in the world and is her absolute passion.

The ability to compete in the same competitions as her peers is what has made it so special for her. We love Special Olympics, but it is again a Special Needs focused competition, not just a regular competition. I know I have posted this ad nauseum in different areas, but we were about two years into cheer and I believe either at Cheersport or NCA when she turned to me and said "Mom, this is the first time I feel normal." That sums it up for me.

That said, I do see it from the EP's perspective. How do you judge teams fairly and equally when the teams have so many differences in ability and the number of helpers needed? Levels, just like levels of ability on the neuro-typical side seems to be the answer. I am hoping that this will just be a year where scoring can be worked out and we will see a return to a judged category.

Back