All-Star Why Are People So Rude?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's a newspaper, write a letter to the editor. Tell them what you just told us, that they didn't provide any logical explanation for why cheerleading was not a sport (non-objective scoring, too unorganized etc. etcc) rather biased opinions you found rude and offensive to yourself and the other members of your student body. aggie1983 is 100% correct. If this were an article where say, someone gave their opinion on teen moms and said they were nothing but sluts who were poor role models, or an article claiming that all wrestlers were gay, lax players pot heads, theatre kids freaks, it would not fly. This shouldn't either. It's one thing to state an opinion in a respectful and well thought out manner, it's quite another to be obnoxious

I'm gonna be blunt here.
I have an idea for all cheerleaders. Get over it. There are always going to be people you won't convince that cheerleading is a sport, no matter how hard you try. A large percentage of the world will always view cheerleading as what it started out being, and the trashy and disgusting behaviour displayed by a good portion of the allstar cheerleading world is not going to change that fact. I'm sorry, but I'm seriously so sick of people coming on here every week and bringing up something new about someone not thinking cheer is a sport. It isn't. Accept that. They may be wrong as to WHY it isn't, but the fact of the matter is CHEER IS NOT A SPORT. Also (and thankfully no one has said it in this thread) cheerleaders seriously need to stop using injuries as a justification for something being a sport. I have been injured walking up the stairs at school, I guess that means going to class is a sport and everyone should recognize it as such and all thoughts about it are wrong.

I'm gonna be blunt here.
I have an idea for all cheerleaders. Get over it. There are always going to be people you won't convince that cheerleading is a sport, no matter how hard you try. A large percentage of the world will always view cheerleading as what it started out being, and the trashy and disgusting behaviour displayed by a good portion of the allstar cheerleading world is not going to change that fact. I'm sorry, but I'm seriously so sick of people coming on here every week and bringing up something new about someone not thinking cheer is a sport. It isn't. Accept that. They may be wrong as to WHY it isn't, but the fact of the matter is CHEER IS NOT A SPORT. Also (and thankfully no one has said it in this thread) cheerleaders seriously need to stop using injuries as a justification for something being a sport. I have been injured walking up the stairs at school, I guess that means going to class is a sport and everyone should recognize it as such and all thoughts about it are wrong.

You can look at any other post like this and you will see me saying that we just need to show them and not really try to fight it because they won't change their minds by just arguing. I'm upset because this is my school newspaper, something printed, published, and sent out to the entire student body, and I'm pretty sure my school has the 3rd largest student body population in the state of North Carolina. I don't care when people don't think it's a sport with valid reasons, what I do care about is them doing what could be considered a personal bashing. That's is where the line is crossed. I do get fed up with the "my friend said cheer isn't a sport" threads too, but I find this to be a completely different issue.

Another thing about this - would the school let an editorial go that slammed any other activity that students are involved in? What about students' precious self-esteem? How about an editorial about how football needs to be banned because of the number of concussions many players receive and how players have been paralyzed from injuries while playing. And if cheerleaders are too skinny and are bad role models, how about talking about how overweight many football players are and let's not forget how football players are just big dumb jocks who can't put two sentences together coherently. (no, I am not seriously arguing these points, but what's good for the goose.....)

Oh they wouldn't bash the precious football team. Even though we only won 2 games the entire season. I support my football team wholeheartedly, but they get special treatment. Like new jerseys when the ones they have are just fine, but we've had the same ripping at the seams uniforms for 11 years.

I'm gonna be blunt here.

1. I am rather stunned that someone who actually knows allstar would say "CHEER IS NOT A SPORT" so I have no idea how to respond to that.
2. I'm afraid you missed the bigger point. Yes, there will probably always be those who in their ignorance say that allstar cheerleading is not a sport. However, this is a school newspaper. An official publication of the school allowed an exceedingly biased viewpoint to be aired that did not support it's position with facts. With all the politically correct garbage that is espoused in schools today, how is it that cheerleading is the exception in that those who participate can be trashed. I am confident a school newspaper has adult advisors. And they thought it was okay to criticize an entire group of athletes? That was the main point (I believe), not "here we go again, cheerleader bashing."

I agree with chyeeaaa69

I really think we should focus on convincing people that all star cheerleaders are ATHLETES. That isn't dependent on the sport issue. If we hammer that over and over, at some point the sport argument will be self evident.

I agree with chyeeaaa69

I really think we should focus on convincing people that all star cheerleaders are ATHLETES. That isn't dependent on the sport issue. If we hammer that over and over, at some point the sport argument will be self evident.

Oh, they're ATHLETES, thats for sure. Funny how the HS boys always want to armwrestle my daughter... And there are those that don't/won't because they don't want to be embarrased.

If it were easy, everyone could do it. It's not and many of these kids spend their entire young years trying to do it. It IS a sport with competitions just like any other sport. Its just not "promoted" in a way that will transform the image of cheer to be like the mainstream sports.

It's unfortunate that comments like those in the "editorial" are made by people that don't have a clue about ALLSTAR cheer and certainly don't know the difference between a round off and a one and a half up to (insert position here).

1. I am rather stunned that someone who actually knows allstar would say "CHEER IS NOT A SPORT" so I have no idea how to respond to that.
2. I'm afraid you missed the bigger point. Yes, there will probably always be those who in their ignorance say that allstar cheerleading is not a sport. However, this is a school newspaper. An official publication of the school allowed an exceedingly biased viewpoint to be aired that did not support it's position with facts. With all the politically correct garbage that is espoused in schools today, how is it that cheerleading is the exception in that those who participate can be trashed. I am confident a school newspaper has adult advisors. And they thought it was okay to criticize an entire group of athletes? That was the main point (I believe), not "here we go again, cheerleader bashing."

Because cheerleading ISN'T a sport. I never said that I don't believe it shouldn't be considered a sport, with a few kinks worked out with scoring and different things, I do think cheer should be considered a sport, but right now, correct me if I'm wrong, allstar cheerleading is not recognized by any major organization as a sport.
Also my post was more generic. I do think this was taken too far in a school newspaper, this thread just got my generic rant about people who constantly complain about cheer not being a sport.

I've heard many people say rude things about cheerleading and I've learned to just stop trying to argue about it, most or every people who say mean things about it are because they don't know all we do and all the hard work it takes or maybe just angry cause they didn't make the squad or something.. So I would just say to ignore those comments and be proud to be a cheerleader. :)

I agree with chyeeaaa69

Or... Everyone could focus on conducting themselves like a class act at our Activity/Sport/Hobby/Passion instead of drawing negative attention because of craziness. Doing this will help the outside world respect cheerleading a little more.

If it were easy, everyone could do it.

This exact phrase is what I say to my girls all the time. If it were easy everyone would do it. Anything worth doing is going to have some struggle.

I agree with Jeff. It's currently not recognized as a sport. It's more like snowboarding when it was evolving and gaining popularity--an extreme hobby. I think all star will eventually become an official sport but only after we get more organized.

Back