Why Are So Many Open Level 6 Teams So Bad?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not all, but alot of them are just not as good as you would think they should be.

Because they only practice once a week and a lot of the athletes are in college or out of college. When you're not in the gym stunting and tumbling multiple times a week you get out of shape. And then when you only practice once a week and are trying to get a bunch of adults with hectic work schedules into the gym at the same time (usually Sundays) you tend to end up with people missing practices.

most L6 teams should and could be appropriately placed into L4 open if such a level existed but unfortunately usasf decided at some point that athletes over the age of 17 should have a certain skill set and put everyone into one category.

most L6 teams should and could be appropriately placed into L4 open if such a level existed but unfortunately usasf decided at some point that athletes over the age of 17 should have a certain skill set and put everyone into one category.
Open 4 does exist :)

i agree. in some instance, its the inability to get in enough practice time, or that the team is unsuccessful with rostering and maintaining athletes throughout the season. such a shame...could be an awesome division to watch

Most of them are poorly put together and lack the talent to compete at level 5 so they throw one tuck basket in and call it Level 6.

I agree with UKHybrid . a lot of them arent put together well at ALLLLL. What I think isn't considered in this level is tumbling. Ive seen lvl 6 teams with fulls and doubles as running tumbling passes, and I've seen teams with handspring tucks as running passes. I feel like lvl 6 is supposed to be a step above lvl 5, and many teams are just going lvl 6 to be able to say they're lvl 6.

I think its the age issue. There aren't enough girls that want to compete over the age of 17 to put together a strong team. Also there are a lot of girls that don't have the high level skills but are too old to complete in any other level.

OMG i definitely agree. @ comp., i sometimes stay after i compete w/ my team to watch lvl. 5 and 6, and to be honest, lvl. 6 almost always disappoints. There was even one lvl. 6 whose best tumbling pass was back tuck! i think the only teams that should compete at this level are college teams. :georgia::georgia::georgia:

There are times when athletes on Level 6 teams come from different programs. Some are college cheerleaders but some athletes that just want to get back into shape. Every so often you might have a good program. GT and Louisville for example are out of the same gym. But when you have teams that come from surrounding areas they don't have the luxury of practicing together with their stunt groups or tumble all the time. hopefully gyms will work with local colleges and try to develop better open L6 teams. maybe if the athletes work in the gym, they could score practice time, cheaper choreography, and in return the team competes under the gym name. The only real issue is that College cheer is non spring floor so though its nice to learn skills on the spring, teams should be aware that you might have a full on spring floor but may not be about to throw it on hard floor.

it is true that many level 6 teams don't have the luxury of practicing together all the time... that has an effect on pyramids and baskets and the overall cleanliness of a routine... it has nothing to do with a guys ability to toss a stunt or a team having no fulls... level 6 is a way to get away from the competition of level 5... take a look at the level 5 partner stunt rules and you will notice that there is plenty of room for difficulty that I doubt very many teams could ever max out except for uk or louisville

it is true that many level 6 teams don't have the luxury of practicing together all the time... that has an effect on pyramids and baskets and the overall cleanliness of a routine... it has nothing to do with a guys ability to toss a stunt or a team having no fulls... level 6 is a way to get away from the competition of level 5... take a look at the level 5 partner stunt rules and you will notice that there is plenty of room for difficulty that I doubt very many teams could ever max out except for uk or louisville

It absolutely does - when you don't have practice 4 or 5 days a week like most college teams do you have less time to work on and perfect the basics. We struggle sometimes with a basic 2-2-1 because a lot of our boys have never learned the proper way to toss shoulders. Even tumbling, most level 6 athletes don't have the luxury of parents paying for privates or coming in for tumbling classes.

I do agree with you that level 6 is a good way to get away from the competition of level 5.

Back