All-Star Why Are Tryouts Tumbling Only?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At the gym Im currently at, stunting will be assesed and changes will be made according :)

I think you could stick my 16-year-old on a Tiny 1 team and she'd be happy - she's so excited about this gym she can't stand it. I don't think she cares WHAT team she's on as long as we go there - she knows she'd be on a higher level at a smaller gym, but she has her mind made up. LOL - her tryout outfit (complete right down to socks, shoes, bow) has been sitting on top of the dresser since we got the packet.:)

I think you could stick my 16-year-old on a Tiny 1 team and she'd be happy - she's so excited about this gym she can't stand it. I don't think she cares WHAT team she's on as long as we go there - she knows she'd be on a higher level at a smaller gym, but she has her mind made up. LOL - her tryout outfit (complete right down to socks, shoes, bow) has been sitting on top of the dresser since we got the packet.:)

Dont forget you get a Famous Tryout T-Shirt too just for trying out :)

Dont forget you get a Famous Tryout T-Shirt too just for trying out :)

Woot! They both have uniforms for school, but my older one likes to rebel a little - bet I know what she's wearing over her uniform on Friday! :D (But they'll make her take it right off - the main gang in her neighborhood is Latin Kings and their colors are black and gold/yellow :eek:...so she won't be allowed to wear any of her stuff at school. She's so funny - that's her biggest worry: how will she sport all her Famous gear when she can't wear those colors??? I think everyone within a 5 mile radius of us knows she cheers so I think she'll be safe. ;))

The gym I cheer @ now is pretty evenly judged on tumbling, dance jumps and stunting...
But the tumbling thing in general is frustrating because I'm not a sorry tumbler by any means...BHS, standing tuck, BHS to tuck, jumps 2 hs...whatever...but I inquired to a different gym about requirements and they straight out told me "if you dont have this this and this, you might as well not waste your time"...i was so turned off by that! Especially because I'm a beast back as well and can werk the hell out of a dance...oh well, their loss...

The gym I cheer @ now is pretty evenly judged on tumbling, dance jumps and stunting...
But the tumbling thing in general is frustrating because I'm not a sorry tumbler by any means...BHS, standing tuck, BHS to tuck, jumps 2 hs...whatever...but I inquired to a different gym about requirements and they straight out told me "if you dont have this this and this, you might as well not waste your time"...i was so turned off by that! Especially because I'm a beast back as well and can werk the hell out of a dance...oh well, their loss...

Great Attitude! Their loss

I would love this! My daughter is not an amazing tumbler (basic level 2/3 skills - and she's still perfecting those, so definitely won't be moving on to higher tumbling soon or anything) but every other area she's really good at. Her jumps and dancing are awesome. She's a base or a backspot, which she's very good at.

Fortunately she's not overly concerned with what level team they put her on. She's happy on any level - she did a coed 3 this year and LOVED it; and last year she did a Senior 2 and a 4.2 - also loved those.

Her (and my) biggest concern is that she only has 2 seasons until she ages out. Then she'll HAVE to have some skills so she can do an Open team, and I think those are only Levels 5 and 6, correct? So if she doesn't get the tumbling, does that mean she'll have to stop cheering?:(

oh my gosh! I have the SAME EXACT concern about the age thing. I have like level 1/2 skills, and only have about 3 years left (including this season) to cheer, so every year I am going to try to bump up a level, so hopefully when I am a senior I can do level 5 worlds team.
With the whole tryout thing, at my gym our tryout is based on everything (cheer,dance,jumps,and tumbling) but not really stunting. My gym is also in IL :) Good luck to your daughter at tryouts!!

I believe tryouts are for the kids that are new to the gym. I think our coaches already have an idea where they want kids that have been in the gym. At our tryouts there is a standing tumbling section (whatever your best is), a jump section (jumps and jumps to tuck), and then a running tumbling section. On another day you can sign up for the stunt clinic to show off your flying skills. My daughter is stressing over what tumble pass to throw and the funny thing is- the coaches have been watching her grow all season. :)

I believe tryouts are for the kids that are new to the gym. I think our coaches already have an idea where they want kids that have been in the gym. At our tryouts there is a standing tumbling section (whatever your best is), a jump section (jumps and jumps to tuck), and then a running tumbling section. On another day you can sign up for the stunt clinic to show off your flying skills.

They do stunting in the tryout as well - at least for flyers they do, not sure about bases.

Her (and my) biggest concern is that she only has 2 seasons until she ages out. Then she'll HAVE to have some skills so she can do an Open team, and I think those are only Levels 5 and 6, correct? So if she doesn't get the tumbling, does that mean she'll have to stop cheering?:(
Your CP can always move overseas where we're not so flashy at tumbling but we're great stunters!  But seriously, there's a few universities around my part of the world with level 2/3/4.2 and IOC5 teams. We're good scholars and nice kids. Promise.

I don't think it is. A good gym will conduct a tryout based on Stunting, Jumps, Standing and Tumbling. I know several Gyms that use tryouts to level an athlete under USASF Guidelines as well. A team is going to put an athlete where they need the skill in most cases. If the need a strong back spot or base they make an exception to some other skill in order to fill the position in need..

I agree, you will see some level 5 teams that have an amazing amount of running tumbling and there stunts will be fantastic but they will not have full team toe backs. Its a balance, if your girl/boy is a great base but doesn't tumble some teams will still take that base, backspot or flyer.

This year we are having age 11 and down come in Tuesday for 2 hours we go over the jump sequence they will be showing for about 30 minutes then we form stunt groups based on who is there do a few different stunts ALL of the staff goes around and observes and takes notes on each athlete then they tumble and staff also observes and takes notes. We do the same thing on Wednesday for 12 and up athletes. then on thursday is the final assments where the athletes will go in room 2 in groups of 5 and show the jump sequence one standing tumbling skill and one running skill. Since we observe stunts on the other days there is no need to show that in the official assment :)

Back