All-Star Why Does This Continue To Happen?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So my question for all the posters that are saying no way a youth age r5 flyer (who might not tumble in that routine...we have no idea) should be basing on a youth 2 team:
How would flyers who might not be able to fly after youth age learn how to base? You can't put that youth flyer on a level 4-5 team and expect her to know how to base. You have to start somewhere.

Also youth age is a kind of a unique situation In my opinion because often higher level youth cheerleaders only on senior and junior teams want to be with their peers and will take a spot on a lower level youth team to learn new position, be among friends, and to be a leader.

Now I'm not saying a team a team of level 5 youth age kids should drop to level 2 for a summit bid, but I'm not seeing how 1-2 would be a huge issue.

I see you said this is your last post, but you could give us the facts. Do you have level 4 and 5 athletes on your youth 2 team? if so, how many of each? Normally this is something that is frowned upon on most threads but here, it seems you're being defended because of gossip. btw 95% of this board is gossip! makes me laugh.

I disagree with the situation. BUT unless the parents of these athletes come forward, it is still gossip.

So my question for all the posters that are saying no way a youth age r5 flyer (who might not tumble in that routine...we have no idea) should be basing on a youth 2 team:
How would flyers who might not be able to fly after youth age learn how to base? You can't put that youth flyer on a level 4-5 team and expect her to know how to base. You have to start somewhere.

Also youth age is a kind of a unique situation In my opinion because often higher level youth cheerleaders only on senior and junior teams want to be with their peers and will take a spot on a lower level youth team to learn new position, be among friends, and to be a leader.

Now I'm not saying a team a team of level 5 youth age kids should drop to level 2 for a summit bid, but I'm not seeing how 1-2 would be a huge issue.

Classes or private lessons, if they are even necessary. A level 5 tumbler should have little problem learning to base. They have the core and arm strength and body control to pick it up easily. They have experience as a flyer at those levels they know the material, and know what the grips should be. It shouldn't be a big issue. I have watched kids in our gym make the transition, and go from flying to basing on level 4 with their team over the summer with little problem.

They certainly don't belong on youth 2. I have watched that situation build resentment in true level athletes and hurt a team. The level 5 kids come in, and they are point jumper, last pass, star dancer because they have more experience and higher level, more polished skills. Of course the coach is going to use that. It's expected, but that does t mean other kids don't recognize what's going on and resent it on some level. And that comes out in the way the kids interact. Neither the level 5 child or the level 2 should be put in that position. It's not fair to either of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have girls that cross from J2 to SR5 - they fly on both teams. They came into the gym only having level 2 (some level 3) tumbling but learned their fulls during the summer/fall..
I wouldn't say that everyone on a level 5 team is so great/advanced/mature that they should not cross to a level 2 team (esp if they are needed..)

We have girls that cross from J2 to SR5 - they fly on both teams. They came into the gym only having level 2 (some level 3) tumbling but learned their fulls during the summer/fall..
I wouldn't say that everyone on a level 5 team is so great/advanced/mature that they should not cross to a level 2 team (esp if they are needed..)

That is a totally different situation than a child who has been level 5 for a year or more, crossed down to a level 2. Those kids started the season with level 2 skills and were moved up as they gained skills. They were appropriately placed at the beginning of the season, not moved down middle of the season or later to shore up a team.

It amazes me that you have several who were able to jump from level 2 to 5 in a few months. I have seen that happen a very few times.

That is a totally different situation than a child who has been level 5 for a year or more, crossed down to a level 2. Those kids started the season with level 2 skills and were moved up as they gained skills. They were appropriately placed at the beginning of the season, not moved down middle of the season or later to shore up a team.

It amazes me that you have several who were able to jump from level 2 to 5 in a few months. I have seen that happen a very few times.

One of the girls doesn't do her full in the routine since she is still 50/50 with it. She can land it at practice though. She still doesn't have a consistent standing tuck either.. I think they actually competed level 1 last season. They were at a diff gym so I'm not sure.

Or
Not necessarily about the team being discussed, but just in general:

Sorry, but no level 5 athletes should be on a level 2 team, except in an emergency. There needs to be some kind of rule about crossovers. It has gotten out of hand.

also tossing in World team members for one comp to get the bid!

Back