Why People Think Cheerleading Is Not A Sport.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I truely think some people dont belive cheerleading(competitively) is a sport because cheer has such a bad steriotype. they just think we cheer on a team and yell for them, jump around and dance. But Cheer is SO much more than that, its a beautiful sport that takes so much mental and physical strength to even do it. and if those people actually tried it, they would change their minds. CHEERLEADING IS A SPORT!!!

people @ my school say that marching band is a sport MARCHING BAND. that is not a sport yet they say allstar and competition teams arent. we work ten times harder, practice more than 6 hours a week, lift people up our around our size and dont kill them, yet we still get injured just like football, baseball, soccer, swimming, lacross, and all those other sports yet most of them were padding also. we wear bras, underwear, uniforms, and bows. that does not give much protection!

I think one of the reasons people don't consider cheer as a sport is because you don't really "score goals" and that's kind of what makes a sport a sport. Cheerleaders are awarded points based off of judgement but soccer plays get a point just by scoring a goal. Other than that cheerleading is EXTREMELY difficult and definitely one of the hardest sports I've done. ( I do consider it a sport, I was just saying why some people might not)

Until they've walked in the shoes of a cheerleader, I don't think they should have an opinion. Conditioning, jumping, stunting, tumbling, dance, coordination will wear 'em out in a minute. What are you talking about ... cheerleading is not a sport ... are you sure about that:)

i used to play soccer on the highest level for my age and got bored so i started competitive cheer!!! on my first routine i was never that exhausted in my life...
when your tired in running you can easily pick your feet up one at a time and keep going
when your tired in a routine its not so easy to pull out all the strength, power, and technique to stay on your feet and keep your flyer in the air, all with a smile :)

if they tell you it isn't a sport...tell them why is it on ESPN. I'm sure they'll have a hard time fighting back :p

Cheerleading is so much harder and takes so much more physical effort than any other sports ive tried.. people just dont really know what competetive cheerleading is, they just think of pompoms and "Give me a B" cheers at least here in Sweden and its so annoying

because no one knows what we really do and know one knows how hard it really is when you get on higher levels... you have to practice for about 5 months or more to perfect a 2 minute and 30 second routine

there is also different types of cheerleading and i think cheering along side at football games is not really consider cheerleading unless you compete and that is why i love all star cheerleading because all you do is compete and you dont have to learn cheers and that is one of the reason why i think people think cheerleading is not a sport

I would like to see anyone who says cheerleading isnt a sport come and try the routine .. or just try lasting through a practice . Its not all that easy . The cheesy movies dont help our rep. even though my team and I have seen many others act cheesy just like the movies !
But I get how some people might see it as the judges "Pick" who wins based on how they thought did better .. but we have standards to live up to .. like if a level 5 team just does straight up heel stretch and hits but another team does tick tock heel stretch and hit, obviously the team with the higher difficulty is going to win cause they met the standards... and judges are kind of like refs cause when a penalty is called the refs are the ones who determine it so they choose if they call it and make the other team possibly lose or dont call it and make the other team win .. but if a team makes a goal then they met the standards and get the point and obviously win .!

once i show anyone who doesnt think its a sport, my teams routine or a tumbling video..they change their minds or respect us more

idk why but i found this and feel like it explains things to a T

CHEERLEADING IS NOT A SPORT?…… keeep reading ! I'm talking All-star competitive cheerleading...

Here’s to the people who say cheerleading isn’t a sport. That cheerleaders aren’t athletes. We practice just as much as you do. Every day of the week, 2+ hours. We condition. We run. We do ab workouts and pushups and planks. No, we don’t lift weights, we lift our athletes-and we hold them 10-15 feet in...... the air until our arms shake. Until our legs quiver. Don’t doub...t the flyers either. We have more muscle than you seem to think. The amount of balance, leg muscle, and core tightness it takes to stay in the air is unbelievable to someone who has never done it before. We run full speed at nothing, then flip in the air, twist, and land on our feet. We jump. We jump high-without a trampoline. Concentrating on pointed toes, extended legs, tight arms, jump height, facials, and smiling… Ever based a basket toss? You get blood blisters on your hands. Softball sized bruises start to appear like magic. As for the flyers, if you’re not tight, expect to have your back jammed into your bases knee. Don’t forget about the backspots. We are the lifeguards of cheerleading. We save lives everyday. We get concussions, hit, and rammed into the ground. Without us, your flyers would be injured. Sprained ankles, broken fingers, and pulled muscles don’t slow us down. You practice like it doesn’t hurt. Now you have 3 minutes on a paneled mat. You have 700+ people in the stands every time you go on that floor. 4 judges. 3 minutes of horrendous physical activity and we make it look easy. Perfection doesnt exist, but here we go reaching for it anyways. You hit or you miss. Toes weren’t pointed? Deduction. Didn’t stick your tumbling? Deduction. Stunt didn’t hit? Deduction. You all think we’re the prissy girls/boys who always have to have perfect hair and makeup. You’re wrong. At practice, we have messy buns and running makeup. Competitions? Sweats until we absolutely have to get ready. Do you think that cheer uniform is comfortable? It’s not… Sure the hair and make up us fun and gets us in the mood to perform, but ultimately it’s to unite us as a team. To be uniform and have the same look. Think we don’t eat & are obsessed with being skinny? Good joke. We love food. Not all cheerleaders are mean girls/boys who think they rule the school. We have really good grades and don’t hang out with the “cool kids” and go parties every weekend. People see us as stereo types. Its wrong. Cheerleading is in the top 5 most dangerous sports in the world. Sport. Top 5 most dangerous and you still have the nerve to say its not a sport? You’ve got to be joking. Cheerleading is something you have to want and work for. You have to love it and have a passion for it. So you doubt us? Fine. We’ll prove you wrong. Say we’re not athletes? Okay. Come to a practice. Compete with us. You’ll think differently. Say what we do is easy? try it

Back