All-Star Woodward 2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Has anyone ever applied for a scholarship to Woodward? Are they really hard to get?
Cp received one the only year he went. Was really the only way we could have afforded that trip. The gym owners wrote a wonderful letter of recommendation on his behalf as did he.

**You're 12 and promoting a college recruiting camp. So tell us how your recruiting experience was?**

Cp received one the only year he went. Was really the only way we could have afforded that trip. The gym owners wrote a wonderful letter of recommendation on his behalf as did he.

**You're 12 and promoting a college recruiting camp. So tell us how your recruiting experience was?**

Thanks! I'm going to apply. My CP wants to go so bad and right now it's financially not possible for us. She did get a wonderful recommendation from her previous coach. Hopefully that'll help. Please keep your fingers crossed

We know kids who have gotten about half off. They're pretty generous if you submit everything that's required.

I hope so. She really wants to go but we've had some life changing events the last couple of months. I'd love for her to get the experience. Keeping my fingers crossed

I know you all ready made your decision and with the way the TAP program has evolved I totally agree with that decision. I just wanted to say that I think it is fine for your child to miss school for whatever reason you want. You all ready stated that she is a good student and I am sure you are not worried about her making up the work. I know that every kid is different, but their childhood is so short and there is more to life than sitting in a classroom. I also think attendance policies are stupid when they are lorded over kids who are successful in school but miss school for things such as athletic competitions. The attendance policies were put in place to catch those kids that need extra support in many different ways, not to punish kids that excel both in and out of the classroom. I know we have debated this before so I apologize for bringing it back up.

*stepping off my soapbox - sorry*
This. I was just informed (2 weeks AFTER my school got out) that I did not receive credits for my semester 2 of sophomore year (this past january-June).

really. you're gonna tell me this NOW? why not while I was at school??
Anyway, my school has one of the strictest attendance policies around. You can't have more than 12 excused absences per semester. I think my grand total for the 2 semesters was 22 days (that may seem like a lot but considering 2 travel cheer competitions, sick with stomach virus, sick with strep throat, and various sicknesses throughout the year, it really isn't a lot).

They took away my credits for 22 excused absences but a girl I know literally missed 60 days and she still has credit.
Sorry for my little rant. I have to go to my district office this week and appeal for credits, aka beg for my credits back. yay.

Because getting all 6 of my grades from D's to solid B's or higher isn't enough to get credits!!! :mad:
Rant Over!!! :)

This. I was just informed (2 weeks AFTER my school got out) that I did not receive credits for my semester 2 of sophomore year (this past january-June).

really. you're gonna tell me this NOW? why not while I was at school??
Anyway, my school has one of the strictest attendance policies around. You can't have more than 12 excused absences per semester. I think my grand total for the 2 semesters was 22 days (that may seem like a lot but considering 2 travel cheer competitions, sick with stomach virus, sick with strep throat, and various sicknesses throughout the year, it really isn't a lot).

They took away my credits for 22 excused absences but a girl I know literally missed 60 days and she still has credit.
Sorry for my little rant. I have to go to my district office this week and appeal for credits, aka beg for my credits back. yay.

Because getting all 6 of my grades from D's to solid B's or higher isn't enough to get credits!!! :mad:
Rant Over!!! :)

We only got 7 per semester when I was in high school unless you were hospitalized then they bent how many you could get. I think it was my junior year they switched it to 10 total for the year, you got to choose when you wanted to use them. But if you used them all up fall semester you didn't get any for spring semester. It was terrible. I'm glad I never had any competitions that I had to get out of school more than a couple hours early for cause I wouldn't have been able to. My senior year we almost went to cheersport which would have meant like four absences and there was no way I could do that.

It's interesting to me to see folks posting about their kids missing so much school for cheer.

Sidenote: I think it was @quitthedrama or @notimeforthat who posted about their kids cheering on World champion and/or medaling teams and missing less than 5-7 total days?

Last edited:
It's interesting to me to see folks posting about their kids missing so much school for cheer.

Sidenote: I think it was @quitthedrama or @notimeforthat who posted about their kids cheering on Worlds medaling teams and missing less than 5-7 total days?

My daughter missed 5 or 6 days. She is in The Honors Program and missing that many did take a toll.
Even though my daughter may persue acro and tumbling in college we aren't banking on it. One injury could strike it off the list forever. School comes first period!

Every time I see someone post about school absence policies in the US I cringe. I could NEVER imagine a school doing that up here in Canada. As long as you get a passing grade, you get the credit; in my opinion this is the way it should be. In my junior year I missed 74 school days (hospitalized with a kidney infection in first semester, tore my acl and had the surgery in second semester...not to mention the cheer absences), but I still had an A average. You do have to attend school, by law, until you are 18, but I believe it's a minimum of 50% of the school days that you must be present.

I cannot imagine missing 12 days of school each semester. [emoji33]

Unless we were deathly ill or contagious my brother and I were sent to school. And traveling for comps was left for after school hours unless absolutely unavoidable. I think I only missed 12 days all throughout high school.

Some of you live crazy lives, my friends :p

I again, would like to apologize for derailing this thread. I knew I should have kept my opinion to myself. Funny thing is, is that I was really nice about how I stated my opinion, considering what I would really like to say about school absences, but this is not that thread. Again - sorry!

I again, would like to apologize for derailing this thread. I knew I should have kept my opinion to myself. Funny thing is, is that I was really nice about how I stated my opinion, considering what I would really like to say about school absences, but this is not that thread. Again - sorry!
You're fine.

**Big shout out to the Boarder that tagged me in the "Cute Puppy" pictures on the other FB. You are the best**

Back