All-Star Worlds 2015 Shirts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

205308543955281c3b3e2a9.jpg

Team Ireland Official

It's just the way the ink is applied to the shirt.

Screen Printing uses screens to push ink through screens directly to, in this case a T-Shirt, underneath the screen.. Here's a random video that shows someone screen printing a t-shirt.

Screen printing is traditional and fastest. And it's usually the cheapest. You have to separate the color layers because you can only print one color at a time. That's why in the video, the person had 4 screens. And if you aren't using CMYK (the four colors commonly used in printing) you have to mix your own colors by hand. Like with a paint stick and bucket and everything. Screen printing is better for darker colored mediums because more paint goes onto whatever is below so the picture is more vivid. Then you have to set the paint with heat.

Digital printing uses a digital ink printer, not like ours at home, that prints the image right to the tshirt. These aren't used as often but are becoming more popular. Instead of a person having to mix colors by hand, the printer does it for you so you get a huge range of colors. And the ink printer can handle fine details a lot better than screen printing. In screen printing, you are pushing paint through itty bitty holes so you don't always get super fine detail. It's a slower process because you can only print one shirt at a time per printer.

There are a ton of differences and each has it's pros and cons but that is the basic run down. And I could be 100% wrong, Rays could be using screens to print, atleast the electric shirt, it's possible, but that shirt has so much detail and so much color that it would be hella annoying to screen print that.

ETA: Also, screens, much like sandpaper, have different ranges of "fine-ness". The higher the count of holes, the finer the detail. But normally, t-shirts get printed with lower count mesh/screens because of the amount of ink that needs to get pushed through, since the fabric is more absorbant (higher the count=the less ink that gets pushed through the screen=the finer the detail/more control you have over your design.)

Last edited:
Right..... Is cheer athletics even doing worlds shirts, I know the NCA ones weren't released except for panthers. Stingrays hasn't really done anything either.
CA released the program shirt, not sure about team shirts though. There's been like 5 or 6 Rays shirts posted in this thread, too!

It's just the way the ink is applied to the shirt.

Screen Printing uses screens to push ink through screens directly to, in this case a T-Shirt, underneath the screen.. Here's a random video that shows someone screen printing a t-shirt.

Screen printing is traditional and fastest. And it's usually the cheapest. You have to separate the color layers because you can only print one color at a time. That's why in the video, the person had 4 screens. And if you aren't using CMYK (the four colors commonly used in printing) you have to mix your own colors by hand. Like with a paint stick and bucket and everything. Screen printing is better for darker colored mediums because more paint goes onto whatever is below so the picture is more vivid. Then you have to set the paint with heat.

Digital printing uses a digital ink printer, not like ours at home, that prints the image right to the tshirt. These aren't used as often but are becoming more popular. Instead of a person having to mix colors by hand, the printer does it for you so you get a huge range of colors. And the ink printer can handle fine details a lot better than screen printing. In screen printing, you are pushing paint through itty bitty holes so you don't always get super fine detail. It's a slower process because you can only print one shirt at a time per printer.

There are a ton of differences and each has it's pros and cons but that is the basic run down. And I could be 100% wrong, Rays could be using screens to print, atleast the electric shirt, it's possible, but that shirt has so much detail and so much color that it would be hella annoying to screen print that.

ETA: Also, screens, much like sandpaper, have different ranges of "fine-ness". The higher the count of holes, the finer the detail. But normally, t-shirts get printed with lower count mesh/screens because of the amount of ink that needs to get pushed through, since the fabric is more absorbant (higher the count=the less ink that gets pushed through the screen=the finer the detail/more control you have over your design.)

This might be a dumb question, but are screen printed shirts always done manually? Or is there a machine that can do it for you?

P.S. I really love how the colours on that shirt in the video just pop out, it's so vibrant.

I highly doubt they are screen printing these shirts. I'm guessing they are digitally printing them. Screen printing these looks nearly impossible.

I've been in the printing business for over 20 years and can tell you they can be printed. Like I do with all the designs I have ever done I put a disclaimer saying that the image is a representation and the finished product may look slightly different. I would not recommend digitally printing a shirt unless it is a light shirt with a dark print. If the opposite is true then the shirt has to be pre treated to accept a white base before the other colors can go down and then you must cure/set the inks using a heat press. It can be a time consuming and therefore expensive process to do larger quantities digitally.

They will probably use what is called spot process to print them. You basically assign different spot colors and print them like you would four color process to achieve specific color results based on the artists rendering. In the hands of experienced printers who understand how colors interact with one another the results can be quite impressive.

This might be a dumb question, but are screen printed shirts always done manually? Or is there a machine that can do it for you?

P.S. I really love how the colours on that shirt in the video just pop out, it's so vibrant.
Yes and yes. It depends on the quantity of shirts to be printed. We would do smaller runs both in quantity and ink colors on our manual and use our automatic press for longer runs both in quantity and colors. The advantage to an "auto" press is you get faster print speeds and more consistent results. For example if you print 200 shirts by hand your arms and wrists grow tired and your consistency changes as you get more tired. With an auto you simply load and unload the shirts and the press does the printing and it doesn't get tired so your consistency is better and the end result is typically of a higher quality.

Last edited:
Yes and yes. It depends on the quantity of shirts to be printed. We would do smaller runs both in quantity and ink colors on our manual and use our automatic press for longer runs both in quantity and colors. The advantage to an "auto" press is you get faster print speeds and more consistent results. For example if you print 200 shirts by hand your arms and wrists grow tired and your consistency changes as you get more tired. With an auto you simply load and unload the shirts and the press does the printing and it doesn't get tired so your consistency is better and the end result is typically of a higher quality.
That's what I thought as well, I can't imagine doing what they did in the video for 100 shirts or more...... it would be exhausting.

Thank you for your insight on this matter, it's much appreciated.

Back