All-Star Worlds 2017 Day 3 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I still don't fully know how I feel about the tie in medium coed. I've never been a fan of ties, and I think had they given both a globe, you'd see a lot of "WOW so many scoring factors why couldn't they just break the tie?" around here. Although I do believe if you end up with the same score you probably deserve something. (Not to mention the fake gold they gave Bangkok a while back)

IDK. I'm going to have to think about it for a while.

What did every team who won worlds this year have in common?
( I don't know the answer it was a trivia question I can't figure out)
So they said the answer was that all the winners hit day 2. Not sure if true or not. But I can't think of one that didn't hit off the top of my head.

So they said the answer was that all the winners hit day 2. Not sure if true or not. But I can't think of one that didn't hit off the top of my head.
Not sure what their definition of "hit" is, but at least one winner had deductions.

Wow... go Australia!! I wish we even HAD bids of any sort in this part of the World. It's why you never see any Southeast Asian teams except for Thailand, and even then they can only afford to attend every two years or less.

IMO worlds should allow countries without bid events to video tryout. Like maybe send a routine video and if you get a certain minimum score when judged you get an at large.
It wouldn't be that hard and doesn't cost them a thing, but it would really increase international presence at worlds. Plus, they could give legality warns to the team's for stuff they need to change for USASF (since the Asian worlds allow more).

IMO worlds should allow countries without bid events to video tryout. Like maybe send a routine video and if you get a certain minimum score when judged you get an at large.
It wouldn't be that hard and doesn't cost them a thing, but it would really increase international presence at worlds. Plus, they could give legality warns to the team's for stuff they need to change for USASF (since the Asian worlds allow more).

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't done this. From a business standpoint it makes sense to charge teams some absurdly high fee (that's still cheaper than an actual competition fee) to submit a video and they can make money with minimal effort. Plus, they get more worlds teams which also translates to more $$$

Yes, like what they used to do with junior teams. They've done it before so it really shouldn't be that difficult to implement a similar process again.

I know I've already stated that Gens are my ride or die in SS but I do believe the deduction was appropriate. A mistake is a mistake and should be deducted - no matter how small or big. Cheer is also an activity where you are judged on technique and perfection of a set of skills so why not deduct if you aren't performing it properly? Even if it wasn't intentional, it's still a mistake.

I wasn't saying don't deduct at all. I, like everyone else, want to see mistakes receive deductions. It just seems a little extreme to apply a massive deduction for something that really wasn't a big error.

I do have an issue with deduction vs warning not being consistant across comps/score sheets though. I hope in the future, as our sport grows and as we try to move toward a universal scoresheet, that we have some sort of warning vs deduction rubric so there is less of a grey area

I do agree there. This has been going on forever-- the same skill is called legal at one competition and illegal at another. You may get no deduction at all (or just a warning) for the skill one week, and a massive deduction the next week. There is also a substantial difference between an entire team doing a skill that is flat-out illegal vs one stunt group having a performance error on a legal skill. A performance error shouldn't get as large of a deduction.

It would also better equip athletes to react to a mistake when it happens on the competition mat because of an unplanned event. Coed Elites "tuck basket" a few years ago at worlds comes to mind when the bracing stunt group wasn't there and the other group threw the flyer up anyways and she performed an unbraced inversion. If the flyer/bases know the brace can't be made for the skill to be performed in a legal way, adjust to avoid a deduction (assuming deduction would be given and not a warning). Either straight ride it or dont throw the flyer. The perfection score might drop a smidge or you might get a smaller "performance error" deduction instead of a safety violation/heavy legality.

I agree that the athletes should be educated enough to know that throwing any sort of "tuck basket" is going to be called illegal. But in this case, we're talking about a smaller performance error, where the flyer and backspot likely didn't have the best grip for the inversion due to the stunt being a little off. And in that split second, it wouldn't have been possible to stop the inversion, nor would it have been safe for half the stunt group to decide not the throw the inversion while the other half continued on without knowing anything was wrong. Ultimately, you want the athletes to be safe, not bailing in the middle of stunts because they're paranoid over a skill getting called illegal.

I watched this same stunt in a video from NCA and the backspot held on plenty long enough... I don't think this is an instance of the girl being careless or uneducated about the legality rules. It was just a mistake-- worthy of a deduction, just maybe not a huge one. I feel similarly about the legality deduction SSX got-- their error was even less egregious than Gen's.

It can be disheartening that one tiny mistake has the ability to make such a huge difference, but it happens in other sports too. Look at NFL football - one offensive pass interference call or illegal block on a catch in the end zone can completely change the outcome of the game. The player doesn't "intend" to do something illegal, but it results in a penalty anyway. The little things SHOULD matter.

I agree that little things matter. My only issue is with little things getting massive deductions. In football, pass interference calls are so common-- it's a typical big error for a football player. But these are rare instances in cheerleading where legal skills get called illegal and get huge deductions (only at some competitions) as soon as there's a small error.

___

I understand everyone's viewpoints, I'm just surprised people seem okay with legal skills getting massive illegality deductions when they don't go perfectly. If it's a matter of safety, I saw far more dangerous stunting at Worlds than the inversion in Generals' stunt. Maybe a stunt that collapses to the ground should be considered illegal too lol.

Last edited:
Why didn't the girl in the back backspot? Also...was she on the floor just sitting and somehow fell?

Hi, The girl that got injured tried to tape her knee and work through the pain so we could go again but after collapsing on the warm up floor again we had no choice but to use one of our coaches from our gym that our owner very wisely added to our roster as an alternate without her knowledge lol. She just came to worlds to spectate and was waiting in the front for us to go when she got the call to go to warm ups and she was going on with us the second time. She doesn't know the routine and was in jean shorts and flip flops. The girl that got hurt based in the first pyramid, was the main base for the center stunt in the elite, was in the pyramid that included many different transitions, and based that basket ( I'm originally the back spot). After we realized the hurt girl was not going to be able to return to the floor we had about 6 minutes to re work the parts she was in. The alternate learned the prep in the first pyramid, we had a tumbler that has never done the elite stunt try it a few times, me and another boy did the first part of the pyramid as 2 people instead of 3, and I stepped in to base the basket so she could back spot. we pointed at her where to go and had to talk to her because we never had the opportunity to do a full mark through for everyone involved in a change to practice in a routine. She did great and we all tried to tell her where to go next but she totally forgot about baskets after the pyramid was done until she saw us dipping and she was too late to make it to us (plus she is clumsy and tipped over when she tried to get up). Under the circumstances I think she did a great job. I couldn't even imagine not knowing I was an alternate then getting that call and taking the worlds floor during finals, I can only imagine what was going on in her head!
We are very appreciative to all the support and love we got going out the second time. It was especially heart warming to see OO5 on the front of the floor for us, they are genuinely a class act. We are thankful that we got through that second routine safely and it was just a good feeling getting off the floor and for the most part not letting it show what happened in the back because its safe to say we were all freaking out and emotional before we went on again. It was an honor to compete against such amazing teams all season the talent in the division is unreal!

Hi, The girl that got injured tried to tape her knee and work through the pain so we could go again but after collapsing on the warm up floor again we had no choice but to use one of our coaches from our gym that our owner very wisely added to our roster as an alternate without her knowledge lol. She just came to worlds to spectate and was waiting in the front for us to go when she got the call to go to warm ups and she was going on with us the second time. She doesn't know the routine and was in jean shorts and flip flops. The girl that got hurt based in the first pyramid, was the main base for the center stunt in the elite, was in the pyramid that included many different transitions, and based that basket ( I'm originally the back spot). After we realized the hurt girl was not going to be able to return to the floor we had about 6 minutes to re work the parts she was in. The alternate learned the prep in the first pyramid, we had a tumbler that has never done the elite stunt try it a few times, me and another boy did the first part of the pyramid as 2 people instead of 3, and I stepped in to base the basket so she could back spot. we pointed at her where to go and had to talk to her because we never had the opportunity to do a full mark through for everyone involved in a change to practice in a routine. She did great and we all tried to tell her where to go next but she totally forgot about baskets after the pyramid was done until she saw us dipping and she was too late to make it to us (plus she is clumsy and tipped over when she tried to get up). Under the circumstances I think she did a great job. I couldn't even imagine not knowing I was an alternate then getting that call and taking the worlds floor during finals, I can only imagine what was going on in her head!
We are very appreciative to all the support and love we got going out the second time. It was especially heart warming to see OO5 on the front of the floor for us, they are genuinely a class act. We are thankful that we got through that second routine safely and it was just a good feeling getting off the floor and for the most part not letting it show what happened in the back because its safe to say we were all freaking out and emotional before we went on again. It was an honor to compete against such amazing teams all season the talent in the division is unreal!
It's awesome that your coaches were able do those changes in short amount of time. And it paid off. Congratulations on your gold.

Back