All-Star Worlds 2017 Day 3 Updates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's alright, I'm surprised no one noticed (at least no one pointed it out in this thread after they performed)... either that or I've just watched their routine too many times and can identify the changes immediately.

I think high-to-high full around tick-tocks score high? There's a "full turn" element on top of being high-to-high, even though it was lib to lib instead of stretch to stretch.

There is one, but it's empty because no one updated it...
2017 Worlds: Score/sheet And Rankings | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

I will try my best to post everything I can find on there, so check back tomorrow if you're in the U.S.
Aww my thread. Sad no one posted lol.

kassidy neary is literally the worst. How can you be a coach and continue to be disrepectful to other teams, esp knowing smoed has a lot of history of having bad sportsmanship why continue it as a coach
All I've seen is her complain about smoeds score, but haven't seen anything to crazy come from her.... Yet...

Dear Worlds Team Flyers,

Again.

You did not survive being on Youth 1 in the itchy turtleneck era to get to Worlds and pull your scale like you haven't stretched since Christmas break.

Please. Jesus be a stretching routine.

Shout out to Beatles/M5/Cheetahs and all the other teams with outstanding flexibility this weekend.
"the itchy turtleneck era" I'm dying :D I still have my first uniform. Itchiest thing on the planet

kassidy neary is literally the worst. How can you be a coach and continue to be disrepectful to other teams, esp knowing smoed has a lot of history of having bad sportsmanship why continue it as a coach
Looking at her twitter feed I really don't see anything bad unless it was deleted while I was asleep I'm not really up with the happenings on twitter.

It's alright, I'm surprised no one noticed (at least no one pointed it out in this thread after they performed)... either that or I've just watched their routine too many times and can identify the changes immediately.

I think high-to-high full around tick-tocks score high? There's a "full turn" element on top of being high-to-high, even though it was lib to lib instead of stretch to stretch.
QUOTE]

Are the low full around tic toc's harder score wise? or are high to high ?
I would think the low to high full around would be because they are spinning -- I have a hard time believing the coach would change something to be easier I dunno lol

I could be wrong !

I agree it's sad to see a team get a huge deduction for what was essentially a minor error. It's not as if Woodlands PLANNED an illegal skill, they simply made a small error after a slightly shaky stunt. Stunting is obviously extremely difficult, and when the difference between between a legal skill and an illegal skill is so minute, it's frustrating to see a team get heavily penalized for an illegality.

Even if you believe Generals deserved to lose, it's troubling that a small error can potentially have a colossal effect on a competition. Unless the majority of the team is doing the skill in an illegal way, it would be nice if the penalty was significantly smaller, not just at Worlds but at any competition, so that results can't potentially get skewed in a ridiculous way.

I didn't see the routine, so I don't have a particular opinion about that deduction, but small mistakes make the difference in results all of the time. A slightly wrong grip on a stunt, a slightly mis-timed opening from a double, a foot turned slightly too far to the side in a landing.... Small, irregular, unplanned mistakes you'd never expect affect nearly every result at every event. Fair or not, there is a huge amount of randomness to the sport. If you held Worlds again next week, I would expect at least the top 3 to change in at least 3/4 of the divisions. You would probably change at least 3 of the finalists in most senior divisions.

Last edited:
I agree it's sad to see a team get a huge deduction for what was essentially a minor error. It's not as if Woodlands PLANNED an illegal skill, they simply made a small error after a slightly shaky stunt. Stunting is obviously extremely difficult, and when the difference between between a legal skill and an illegal skill is so minute, it's frustrating to see a team get heavily penalized for an illegality.

Even if you believe Generals deserved to lose, it's troubling that a small error can potentially have a colossal effect on a competition. Unless the majority of the team is doing the skill in an illegal way, it would be nice if the penalty was significantly smaller, not just at Worlds but at any competition, so that results can't potentially get skewed in a ridiculous way.
It can be disheartening that one tiny mistake has the ability to make such a huge difference, but it happens in other sports too. Look at NFL football - one offensive pass interference call or illegal block on a catch in the end zone can completely change the outcome of the game. The player doesn't "intend" to do something illegal, but it results in a penalty anyway. The little things SHOULD matter.

I know I've already stated that Gens are my ride or die in SS but I do believe the deduction was appropriate. A mistake is a mistake and should be deducted - no matter how small or big. Cheer is also an activity where you are judged on technique and perfection of a set of skills so why not deduct if you aren't performing it properly? Even if it wasn't intentional, it's still a mistake.

Worlds is also the pinnacle event of cheer - these teams are the best of the best. I don't really have an issue with deductions being worth more at worlds. The stakes are higher so the effect of a small mistake is higher. I do have an issue with deduction vs warning not being consistant across comps/score sheets though. I hope in the future, as our sport grows and as we try to move toward a universal scoresheet, that we have some sort of warning vs deduction rubric so there is less of a grey area.

I'd like to see heavier deductions across the board to be honest. I don't think technique and level of perfection is emphasised on enough and teams can get away with technique-murder on the competition mat. I don't think sloppy, difficult skills should be rewarded above or even at the same level of clean, less difficult skills. I like that Worlds is more of a "hit-to-win" competition compared to other comps.

Last thing: I'd also like to see gyms take the time to educate their cheerleaders about the rules, deductions, and safety standards at the level they compete and even the level above or below them. In practice, call out a mistake and ask the athlete "this mistake was made, do you know why it would result in a legality deduction? Do you know what the point value of said deduction is?" Not to embarrass them but to make them aware of the what the consequences are for said mistake. A smart athlete will be able to identify a mistake, know why it is a mistake, and correct a mistake themselves or with little help from a coach. It would also better equip athletes to react to a mistake when it happens on the competition mat because of an unplanned event. Coed Elites "tuck basket" a few years ago at worlds comes to mind when the bracing stunt group wasn't there and the other group threw the flyer up anyways and she performed an unbraced inversion. If the flyer/bases know the brace can't be made for the skill to be performed in a legal way, adjust to avoid a deduction (assuming deduction would be given and not a warning). Either straight ride it or dont throw the flyer. The perfection score might drop a smidge or you might get a smaller "performance error" deduction instead of a safety violation/heavy legality. A cheer routine is designed with a strategy to max out the score sheet. Athletes should be trained to also be strategic in case of an unplanned event. Just my unwanted two cents :p

Yeah I don't mean they're small I guess I could've worded it better I just mean like it's nice to see some one other than The gyms that usually win/globe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the sentiment, but I think Worlds it pretty "spread out" overall. This year there were 12 divisions and 11 different programs won gold. Over the 14 years of Worlds, 76 different programs from 13? different countries have taken home medals. Even the traditional "big" divisions of Large Senior and Large Coed have seen each seen 4 different winners in the last 5 years.

I feel like University of Louisville winning the Level 6 divisions is a given if they just hit... oooops, I meant GymTyme.

I knew a girl that went to Louisville All Girl and was on Gymtyme and she told me once "GymTyme coaching is amazing and consistently turns out world champion teams because of it."
I was like... Girl. GT probably has bomb coaching, but their non Louisville teams haven't globed in a minute.... GT turns out world champion teams because of Louisville.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back