All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Am I reading correctly that BOTTOM AGE FOR YOUTH is 8 now unless Levels 1-3?
I can't find the screenshots now, but I truly hope they're not letting anyone younger than 8 compete level 4 or 5. I'm 100% cool with that. It forces slow and proper progression because let's be real here, a child who isn't working bridges until 5 shouldn't be throwing layouts at 8.

The only REAL difference I can see in what I'm looking at is that they are changing what ages can be on what level of teams once they get to 4- 6.

If your kid is 1-3, I do not see very much different this year, with exception of Senior age changes across the board.

As of now it's still up.

EDIT (Ashley): The document is copyrighted by USASF, we can't allow it to be shared on the board, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prep is a bit weird. Levels 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 & 3.2. But no pure level 2. That's like making prep harder for level 2 tumblers.

See I'm reacting to this because it might affect my Suzy. :p

If we don't do "elite" instead.

LAST post because it is a practice night and I am literally sitting in my car glancing over this.

I will tell you that I do not understand FUNdamentals or Novice at all.

What I am reading in NOVICE:

*no tosses.
*no cradles
*tumbling not scored.
*you're being rated but not scored against other teams.
Tiny novice: no tumbling at all period not even rolls.

Then Fundamentals:

*Coaches choose the routine from a group of them?
*must be exhibition.

QUESTIONS:

1. UM. Aren't these the same concept?

2. Can't the same kids who would do this (ex: kids who are new) just BE ON PREP 1.1 or 1.2 THAT YOU JUST CREATED?

3. Can't they also be on Regular Tiny and Youth or Mini 1? (which depending on the gym is not practicing that much more?)

4. Who is really going to want to pay what I assume is going to be on par with what you'd pay for a local traveling Prep team or half year team, to do this? You're probably going to be paying half year or prep Mini 1 $$$ for your kids to do, well, not that.

Last edited:
These charges don’t directly affect my child, but I’m not sure how these things will be a positive change for this sport. Fundamental and novice seem more like cheer “classes” which many gyms currently offer. Prep already exists, and I don’t see any distinction between requirements for full year “prep” teams va half year “prep” teams. The sport is experiencing a high level of burnout, both from athletes and from a financial perspective. I don’t see how any of these changes help with that

I like the idea of Fundamentals. I'll reserve total judgment for when the routines and such are released in the summer. Right now, there's zero cheer curriculum for how to learn to cheer. Its just assumed that coaches will do the right thing and teach the right progressions with next to no resources. This, at minimum, will provide some resources on progression (I think)

I like the idea of Fundamentals. I'll reserve total judgment for when the routines and such are released in the summer. Right now, there's zero cheer curriculum for how to learn to cheer. Its just assumed that coaches will do the right thing and teach the right progressions with next to no resources. This, at minimum, will provide some resources on progression (I think)
These same coaches are going to be teaching these classes, so I'm not sure you will see any difference. And I agree with some other posters - very few are going to want to spend money on what the division has to offer. Gym owners are better off doing what gymnastics centers do and having cheer classes that don't involve any competition at all except for a parent show off 1-2 times per year.

These same coaches are going to be teaching these classes, so I'm not sure you will see any difference. And I agree with some other posters - very few are going to want to spend money on what the division has to offer. Gym owners are better off doing what gymnastics centers do and having cheer classes that don't involve any competition at all except for a parent show off 1-2 times per year.

Yes and no.

For parents who know nothing about cheer at all, being told that there is a curriculum etc. may be helpful. Thats why I say I won't really judge this until it's all released and available. I won't judge something until all the information is there.

We're all looking at this as insiders or parents with kids actively in the sport. I think to an outsider this could be attractive, depending how it shakes out.

Gym owners are better off doing what gymnastics centers do and having cheer classes that don't involve any competition at all except for a parent show off 1-2 times per year.
To me that pretty much sounds like what Fundamentals is, marketing aside. And I think it is a good idea for programs who don't already offer something similar and now will be given a curriculum to follow.

Re: who would pay...I could see many people trying it out as something fun, social and physical for their children to do. The program costs are the lowest part of my all star payments! It is the competition fees, uniforms and travel that get us...

My old self was hoping for the top age of senior to be pushed to 19 :p but these changes are honestly good in my opinion.
I really like the restrictions on international 1-4 divisions, much tighter age ranges, hopefully preventing teams from double dipping from intl/d1 summit next year. BUT with intl divisions being based on dec 31st age, its kind of confusing. Why can't all of the ages be based on the same timeline? Why some Aug 31st, why some Dec 31st? Weird to me.
I also don't fully understand Novice/Fundamentals/Prep like whats the difference between all of them..

im way out of the loop, but i find it odd how you can go from a youth level team straight to a senior team, due to the age bracket. Has it always been like that? I get that people would riot if they changed the bottom age for senior to 14, but i feel like the age ranges would impact the junior levels greatly.

im way out of the loop, but i find it odd how you can go from a youth level team straight to a senior team, due to the age bracket. Has it always been like that? I get that people would riot if they changed the bottom age for senior to 14, but i feel like the age ranges would impact the junior levels greatly.
Yes, it's been like that for a long time with youth and senior overlapping. Senior was 10-18 for the past several years with youth up to 11 and before that there was no bottom age for seniors.

Back