All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just curious what about the proposed changes disappoint you? Genuinely curious...as a parent I can only see positive things from this change. I suppose it might make it harder for smaller gyms to field a World’s team...but that’s the only drawback I can see.
Because my kid will be 12 in March, and wants to be on a worlds team next season (and has the skills, she has been on restricted for 2 years) this will not only stop her for the 2018-19 season but also 2019-20 season if the rumors are true. So she will be "punished", for lack of a better term, for being 12 and having the skills to be on a worlds team. I might add that she has given herself goals throughout the years to give herself as many years on a worlds team as she could (her goals, she accomplished them). If a 5 year old can be on a team with a 14 year old then a 12 year old with an 18 year old shouldn't cause such a ruckus. She started at 6. She is in love with this sport and works extremely hard. She fits right in with a senior team in both skill and maturity. To say this would be a slap in the face to her is an understatement. In gymnastics are athletes kept down levels based on their age or is their level based on skill, as it should be? (Like really, I don't know the answer to this).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My daughter is a great base. Her cheer age is 12. She is working her double. It probably isn’t feasible at this point to base a 12-13 year old girl. So the only way she will get on a worlds team is probably when she’s older/stronger like 15-16 and the flyers are comparably smaller than she is.
Also I have lot of friends who’s daughters fly and are like 9-11 years old and amazing- both in tumbling and stunting. My daughter has no issue basing level 4-5 with them. It’s sad to me that they will have to wait years more to get on a worlds team. Talk about killing a potential pipeline - being on jr5R, srR5 or j5 for 4+ years. I don’t see a lot of them sticking with it long term.
I totally agree with you on this.

Because my kid will be 12 in March, and wants to be on a worlds team next season (and has the skills, she has been on restricted for 2 years) this will not only stop her for the 2018-19 season but also 2019-20 season if the rumors are true. So she will be "punished", for lack of a better term, for being 12 and having the skills to be on a worlds team. I might add that she has given herself goals throughout the years to give herself as many years on a worlds team as she could (her goals, she accomplished them). If a 5 year old can be on a team with a 14 year old then a 12 year old with an 18 year old shouldn't cause such a ruckus. She started at 6. She is in love with this sport and works extremely hard. She fits right in with a senior team in both skill and maturity. To say this would be a slap in the face to her is an understatement. In gymnastics are athletes kept down levels based on their age or is their level based on skill, as it should be? (Like really, I don't know the answer to this).

I am not sure on gymnastics but I know with figure skating to compete at the Worlds & International level in the senior age group, there is a minimum age of 15, I believe. And 13 is the minimum age for the junior level. I think at smaller domestic competitions there is no age requirement - just at the elite level.

Last edited:
CP is 12 on a Worlds team and I'm all for the proposed changes.
Explain why? Also consider that your cp won't be affected by the changes. Mine will as she is about to turn 12 so would be age eligible for next season if things stay as they are.

I don't care about 12 year olds on Worlds teams as much as most people do.

I DO take issue with 12 year olds being on IO/C teams with and traveling with individuals who are old enough to drink.

I don't really think that age spread is in any other sport.
Ioc is 14...but i totally get your point.

She fits right in with a senior team in both skill and maturity. To say this would be a slap in the face to her is an understatement.
I am sorry this is the case for you but I do expect with a change like this (if the assumption this thread is based on is true) some people will feel upset and many others will be happy. I know for one of my daughters the change would be welcome as she is very immature for her senior team and some of what she has been exposed to is really advanced for her developmentally (bad language, boyfriend issues/sex, vaping, eating disorders etc.).

I find that kids are generally speaking NOT exposed to as much as people THINK they are as the "young kid" on the senior teams.

Truthfully, the older kids treat the 6th/7th/8th graders more like little kids than you think.

If anything, I've heard more of the "my kid really only hangs out with the other middle schoolers" more than anything else.

If anything, I've heard more of the "my kid really only hangs out with the other middle schoolers" more than anything else.
Well yes, I just posted above and pretty much my dd hangs out with the other flyers who are her age. But she still IS still exposed to all the "senior" issues and treated as a senior when she is not developmentally ready IMO. But I get there is a range of maturity so people will have different opinions based on their own experiences.

Number one if your CP is not emotionally mature enough to handle the disappointment of waiting 2 years for a Worlds team they are not emotionally ready for a Worlds team and all of the pressure that goes with it. Disappointment is a part of life. The way that we handle disappointment speaks volumes about our maturity.

Number two your attitude and how you handle the changes will greatly influence how your CP handles it.

My child will not be devastated. I’m bummed for my child and for some other kids I know affected by this potential decision but posting my opinion and personal experience doesn’t equate to the inability of my child to handle disappointment.
My daughter is lucky enough to be a gym that can field jr5R, j5 and/or Sr5R if need be. I do feel badly for those athletes who will miss the new cut off and their gym(s)doesn’t offer those options.

Last edited:
Gymnasts have to be 16 to compete in senior level events. (I googled)

I can see both sides. There are pros and cons in general, and winners and losers individually.

Winners would for example be flyers who don't have worlds level skills at 12. If they have them at 13 or 14 they could still fly.

Losers are younger bases. It's hard to base someone your own size.

In general I think it would be good. Less pressure to reach that level so young. J5 would be a bigger division. Maybe let them have junior worlds?

Back