All-Star Worlds Age Change???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The youngest kid I've seen with the skills (or at least the majority) of the tumbling or stunting skills for J5 has been maybe 8. Unless they were especially gifted in flying and were needed.

Honestly, I find the age spread in JUNIORS to be more problematic than senior teams.

The youngest junior aged child is in what, FIRST GRADE? Oldest could be in HS? If top age is 14, heck I was in 10th grade for part of that (early K start.)

This is why I'm a proponent of Y5 still remaining a thing. First grade and HS on a team together? Why? Those particularly talented elementary aged kids need an age-appropriate team. (I know that sometimes, your J5 skews young, and that's great. Not always the case.)

A first grader still plays with Barbie. She has nothing in common with a 6th-8th, who arguably has LESS of a filter than my HS kids do.

Ex: When my HS girls do the Youth clinic, I NEVER have an issue with them saying anything inappropriate in front of the littles. If I have to correct anyone, it is usually a MS aged helper.

Last edited:
Are people really putting 5 year olds on J5? In all my years in cheer I haven't seen or heard it. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but it can't be something common enough to be worried about.
Lol, no I've never seen that either. I was just using the lowest possible age for effect. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Just my opinion, if they truly love Cheer then they would stay and enjoy cheering on the J5 team until they are eligible for a Worlds team. What are the big differences between being on a Worlds team v. a Junior 5 team? You still compete the same level skills. The main difference is your big end of the year competition would be Summit v. Worlds. Both are at Disney and very expensive.

NAILED IT! Thank you! I wish I knew how to add a drop mic gif... LOL! There is nothing wrong with waiting your turn. For example I was just chatting with my SIL yesterday about how middle school "PROMS" are obnoxious and sets up a been there done that attitude about the Senior Prom which should be something to look forward to. And you wonder why they have upped the ante to eating Tide Pods for entertainment because they have maxed out darn near every milestone before they hit puberty. (Mom rant over) Now, back to cheer I am in favor of raising the ages totally agree with it, I also see it as a set up to eventually upping the WORLDS skill level to all level 6. Think about it with more kids maxing out their skills to Level 5 by say 16 and each year we see more Level 6 teams competing the WORLDS skill level may have to be raised and will hopefully give your CP more cheer to look forward to.

Edit: I think another good way to encourage level 6 participation would be to allow a gym to field an XS5 team and a level 6 team at worlds. There are a ton of small gyms that should be XS who have an international team because of nearby colleges, and there is virtually no athlete pool overlap because of the bottom age requirement for level 6. I was really disappointed when XS was announced that they didn't make an exception for level 6, especially if XS is supposed to be beneficial to small gyms.

Sorry this is off topic, but this lecture is killing me and I'm just trying to stay conscious.

Whats surprising about this too (and sorry for replying days later) is that Level 6 has completely different substitution/alternate rules because of the fact that there's not a ton of overlap in ages between 5 and 6. So to not make an exception for level 6 with XS completely ignores that.

Whats surprising about this too (and sorry for replying days later) is that Level 6 has completely different substitution/alternate rules because of the fact that there's not a ton of overlap in ages between 5 and 6. So to not make an exception for level 6 with XS completely ignores that.

It drives me crazy. I can think of multiple small gyms with IOC 5 teams and an S/SC 5 team. If they made level 6 an exception I could see a lot of them making the change. Just once I would like to see USASF think about level 6 when they’re making rules instead of ignoring it. The US is way way behind in that division.

ill probably get a down vote for this, but isnt there a 9 year old flyer on a cheetahs...the age difference between an 18/19 year old an 9 i find to be quite a big gap.

ill probably get a down vote for this, but isnt there a 9 year old flyer on a cheetahs...the age difference between an 18/19 year old an 9 i find to be quite a big gap.

The youngest you can be is 11 as long as you turn 12 within the cheer year.

Doubt it.

CA is too big and too reputable to try to break the rules.

That and even if they did, Cheetahs does so well that the line to Les Stella's office would be 68 miles long with folks waiting to snitch.

Whoever she is may LOOK 9. But she is not.

The youngest you can be is 11 as long as you turn 12 within the cheer year.

Doubt it.

CA is too big and too reputable to try to break the rules.

That and even if they did, Cheetahs does so well that the line to Les Stella's office would be 68 miles long with folks waiting to snitch.

Whoever she is may LOOK 9. But she is not.
You had to have been 12 by August 31, 2017. So not just during the season

My good friends daughter is a flyer on cheetahs, she definitely looks 9 but she is 12. When she made cheetahs someone made a nasty anon twitter post with her pics and calling her a fetus and everyone swore she was 9.
She is just very small like her mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My good friends daughter is a flyer on cheetahs, she definitely looks 9 but she is 12. When she made cheetahs someone made a nasty anon twitter post with her pics and calling her a fetus and everyone swore she was 9.
She is just very small like her mom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep technically I could still be considered a fetus flyer on Cheetahs and I’m 36 , but what I was going to say after reading a ton off these comments is. Our smallest flyer will be 14 in a couple of months, the next 3 smallest are 12 and the next 3 in line by size are 14. The rest are over 14. So it doesn’t matter what the age is we will still have little flyers. Also If you look at the size of our boys our girls are pretty proportional we don’t have the biggest boys

A lot of what I see/hear in opposition to this translates to:

"I am scared that if my kid can't be on a Worlds team at 12, that she'll be *gasp* a base when she does make one at 14/15 (because not teeny tiny) and I don't want that."

Not the case for every parent but from what I see in my personal social media circle, it's that.

Yep technically I could still be considered a fetus flyer on Cheetahs and I’m 36 , but what I was going to say after reading a ton off these comments is. Our smallest flyer will be 14 in a couple of months, the next 3 smallest are 12 and the next 3 in line by size are 14. The rest are over 14. So it doesn’t matter what the age is we will still have little flyers. Also If you look at the size of our boys our girls are pretty proportional we don’t have the biggest boys

How many flyers are on Cheethas?

Back