All-Star Worlds Bids 2011-12

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

How about they divide up the US into 6 regions, and the amount of USASF registered gyms in that region determine the amount of bids that can be awards in total by competitions held in those regions.
sounds like a plan.

sounds like a plan.

Out of curiosity how many gyms are in Texas? If the south is a region (so thinking Bama, Georgia, Florida, Carolinas, Tenn) I cannot see Texas having much more than that. Any ideas?

How about they divide up the US into 6 regions, and the amount of USASF registered gyms in that region determine the amount of bids that can be awards in total by competitions held in those regions.

That would be fair only if you were only allowed to get a bid when competing in your own region. People are counting all of the NCA paid bids as "Texas bids" when most of those tend to go to non-Texas teams. If Texas/OK were guaranteed all of the NCA bids, then all of a sudden getting a bid in Texas gets to be about three times as easy. (and more in line with how difficult paid bids are to get in other places, IMO.) I'm not saying this is how it should be, just flowing with the discussion.

Out of curiosity, how many more teams would go to Worlds if there were no qualification requirements? Are there a large amount of L5 teams out there that would go, but don't because they don't receive even an at large?

Out of curiosity how many gyms are in Texas? If the south is a region (so thinking Bama, Georgia, Florida, Carolinas, Tenn) I cannot see Texas having much more than that. Any ideas?

It would probably be around the same amount of those states combined.
But what I was saying earlier is that if it was grouped in a region, it would be grouped with oklahoma, arkansas and Louisiana and maybe new mexico...... and to the best of my knowledge there are no HUGE nationals or worlds bid awarding events in any of those states, except Texas. (Wait..... I think Louisiana has a worlds bid event in New Orleans through mardi gras spirit) ..... But from what you were saying, the largest nationals would get the bids, and in that regions case... those would be NCA, ACA, Fall Classic, Cheer Power, and Cheer America.

Don't know the stats, but my guess is that Texas has a bit more than all of those states combined. There are hundreds of gyms in Texas - a few big, prominent gyms that many have heard of, and a TON of tiny to medium ones that can be surprisingly good sometimes.

Don't know the stats, but my guess is that Texas has a bit more than all of those states combined. There are hundreds of gyms in Texas - a few big, prominent gyms that many have heard of, and a TON of tiny to medium ones that can be surprisingly good sometimes.

Also, I tend to think of the Oklahoma gyms as "Texas gyms" and kind of being part of our region. (I hope they don't take offense to that.) I think Twist & Shout & Tribe are closer physically to CA/SOT than the Houston gyms.

Just think about how many large gyms are in the dallas metro area alone.
CA
SOT
Express
Excite
Champion Cheer
Pro Spirit
Spirit (new one out of southlake)?
Rebel Yell
TCC
Maverick
Cougar Cheer

and the houston metro
Texas Lonestar
ucaf
Prodigy
Woodlands
Thunder elite
Legacy
Texas Star
Victory Vipers
Storm

Those are all VERY large gyms... and thats not even getting into the Austin, San Antonio and West Texas regions where there are a whole new list of Large gyms.

An like you said... hundreds of small gyms that are forces to be reckoned with.

Also, I tend to think of the Oklahoma gyms as "Texas gyms" and kind of being part of our region. (I hope they don't take offense to that.) I think Twist & Shout & Tribe are closer physically to CA/SOT than the Houston gyms.
Yes, many Oklahoma cheer people drive to CA/SOT to be on open teams.

It would probably be around the same amount of those states combined.
But what I was saying earlier is that if it was grouped in a region, it would be grouped with oklahoma, arkansas and Louisiana and maybe new mexico...... and to the best of my knowledge there are no HUGE nationals or worlds bid awarding events in any of those states, except Texas. (Wait..... I think Louisiana has a worlds bid event in New Orleans through mardi gras spirit) ..... But from what you were saying, the largest nationals would get the bids, and in that regions case... those would be NCA, ACA, Fall Classic, Cheer Power, and Cheer America.

Last season WSA and Mardi Gras had bids in New Orleans and American Spirit Championships had them in Oklahoma City.

Athletic providence is the northeast largest. They give out 2 FP and 6 AL
Actually right now Spirit Cheer has the most bids.. 3 FP and 9 AL.
But Athletic is the largest and best event in the area for everyone. Spirit Cheer is a pretty awful event and gyms really only go there for the bids :/

Also, Spirit Fest (2FP and 6AL) is now the first weekend in MARCH. They are usually the first bid event in the area so that could shake some things up since there will be more teams at Athletic Championships in need of a bid.

USASF events requiring USASF membership should help get the data necessary to figure this out.

True. The percentage of gyms registered is so small, that I'm not sure that there is enough of a sample size to draw any big conclusions from.

There are enough different competitions (and event producers) in Texas area that MANY gyms never see each other during the season. There just isn't a single database anywhere that has a good list of gyms. My guess as to how Texas compares to the SW states is just pure speculation.

Yes, many Oklahoma cheer people drive to CA/SOT to be on open teams.

Some drive there to be on senior and junior teams also. Those athletes live closer, generally, than the ones that drive from Houston or Lubbock. I'm sure that the OK gyms probably have athletes drive in from surrounding states as well.

Demonstration of the size of Texas:

Athlete A lives in El Paso, TX
Athlete B lives in Chicago, IL
Athlete C lives in Atlanta, GA
Athlete D lives in Louisville, KY

Which one would have to travel the furthest to practice at Cheer Fusion in Texarkana, TX? Athlete A.

Athletic providence is the northeast largest. They give out 2 FP and 6 AL
Little delayed, but there were a few more comps that gave away the same bids in New England. There was Athletics, Beast of the East, Pot of Gold?? (maybe partial?) but there was definitely another...

Back