All-Star Worlds Finals 2012 Changes...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think anyone has suggested that all US teams should necessarily make it in. They should still have a high enough score to qualify. I think the discussion was mainly in reference to the potential that some strong US teams could be the 4th, 5th, 6th highest score in semi-finals, but still be eliminated in favor of teams that finished 20 places lower than them. This is not uncommon in IOC5.

I would suggest perhaps as a compromise taking the top 3 per country, plus the next highest 3 scoring teams (if they had finished in the top 25% of the division)
Oh no, I agree with you on that point (where some US teams could easily place 4th, 5th etc). But I also agree that there are plenty of teams who make it from the US who are on the same level OR below international teams. If it's REALLY an issue about 'the best of the best', we can be trimming from our own numbers as well..but we know that already :)

I think that idea could work..along with my 'increase the weight of tumbling slowly every year/every other year' plan, it would start giving teams the ability to adjust and allow them to implement the tumbling they are getting while keeping things competitive.

I don't think anyone has suggested that all US teams should necessarily make it in. They should still have a high enough score to qualify. I think the discussion was mainly in reference to the potential that some strong US teams could be the 4th, 5th, 6th highest score in semi-finals, but still be eliminated in favor of teams that finished 20 places lower than them. This is not uncommon in IOC5.

I would suggest perhaps as a compromise taking the top 3 per country, plus the next highest 3 scoring teams (if they had finished in the top 25% of the division)

I completely agree with everything you have said in this thread. New Zealand kids travel around 20 hours to make it to worlds every year at significant expense ($3,000-$5,000.00 NZD per person approx.). Alot of the kids compete in both ICU and USASF Worlds. ICU Worlds gives the all girl and coed teams a chance to compete country vs country in which they have been lucky enough to place top 3 or 4 every single year. A large number of the same kids then compete in the USASF worlds where they understand they are primarily competing gym vs gym and for New Zealand second in the Nations Cup competition.

I don't believe that any of those kids or parents would expect special treatment in terms of finals placement at the USASF Worlds however it is nice to know that if they compete in the international division they will get to compete a final against the top 3 US teams in the division.

As an aside, NZ All Stars chose to compete their coed team out of the international divisions against the US teams for experience even though they could have taken the easy road in IOC5 and been guaranteed a finals spot. While the team didn't make it through to finals the experience of putting themselves directly against the very best large coed teams in US and seeing how they measured up was an extremely important one.

I think where cheerleading is relatively new in a country the experience and knowledge you take back from going to and participating in both the ICU and USASF Worlds is much more important and significant for the development of the sport than your placing.

Nowhere did I suggest that every US team is better than every non-US one. That is obviously not true. Bangkok is but one example. They build pyramids better than any US cheerleading team in history, period.

My overall point was that country affiliation should not affect final placement in a gym vs gym competition. The address of your gym should neither help nor hurt you. Your results should depend exclusively on the performance that your team puts on the mat.

Nowhere did I suggest that every US team is better than every non-US one. That is obviously not true. Bangkok is but one example. They build pyramids better than any US cheerleading team in history, period.

My overall point was that country affiliation should not affect final placement in a gym vs gym competition. The address of your gym should neither help nor hurt you. Your results should depend exclusively on the performance that your team puts on the mat.
I think this is like we look like we're arguing but we're actually agreeing with each other lol.

It was named that because that more closely matched the age ranges of most non-US teams.

I assure you that the vast majority of the athletes in the division are well aware of the names of the gyms when the results are announced.

I am not following your point. If they treated "International" like the other divisions, there would typically be FAR more US teams in finals.

In my opinion, the "club" division system is by far the fairest. Once those teams arrive in Orlando, their gym's mailing address makes absolutely no difference to the results or who gets to advance. They are judged purely by their performances and ability. I can't see how that is unfair to any team.

I think I was misunderstood, I am saying that everything should be based on scores no matter what country you are from.

Back