All-Star Worlds/ Level 5 Diet.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm curious - are there any level 5 athletes who still maintain an awesome, balanced diet but are vegetarian?
I wanna know this too! I was on a level 5 team and a vegetarian a couple years ago, but it was not a good diet at all. :/

Don't ever DIET. it not only makes you lose muscle but it makes your metabolism slow down. I eat whatever I want, I make sure to eat healthy most of the time I always chose the healthier options if I can but I splurge a lot and I don't have any issues. Just eat healthier that's all I'm going to say, if you want ice cream or pizza eat it! YOLO you only live once! Just don't eat excessive amounts of bad food and you will never have a problem!

Everything in moderation.

I'm curious - are there any level 5 athletes who still maintain an awesome, balanced diet but are vegetarian?
IzzyFierce
I'm not level 5, but I've been a "successful" vegetarian for quite some time.
Also interested to see how this will play out... especially if I'll be cheering this season. You can always talk to your doctor about it if you're concerned about not getting the right nutrients (getting enough protein is a big issue).

I wanna know this too! I was on a level 5 team and a vegetarian a couple years ago, but it was not a good diet at all. :/
For many vegetarians (even those who aren't super-active), the problem arises in making sure you get the vitamins/minerals you don't get from meats: protein, iron (usually a huge problem for women anyway), etc. I'd definitely recommend talking to a dr if you plan on being a veggie and exercising heavily. They can help you make sure you're getting enough of the good stuff to be functioning well!

Love this thread... Retweet what F!ERCE said about My Fitness Pal app... It's amazing. Trying to stay fit myself... Keep the healthy food choices coming :)

I'm a borderline vegetarian (no fish or chicken, but I do eat bacon) and I am a big advocate of supplements. Do your research as sensible eating can do so much. This is off the top of my head so things may be mixed up but, for example, tofu has heaps of iron and eggs and yoghurt have worthwhile levels of protein. Work these sorts of food into your regular meals and supplement, say take a multivitamin and an iron supplement and (my favourite) yoghurt, muesli and fruit with protein powder mixed through for breakfast and it is easy to keep on top of things.

Another thing I like is I have a variety of 'good' snacks that I have portioned into little zip lock bags so I can just throw a handful into my bag when I leave the house. Things like nuts, dried fruit, vegetable sticks, etc.

Though I definitely recommend speaking to your doctor or a nutritionist if you're really unsure or feeling run down.

Hope that's of some help! :)

AND ORANGE JUICE!! I love orange juice and and orange after, like, a heavy work out helps the body to repair itself. :)

Just one thing to watch with the orange juice is it has a LOT of sugar, and is high in calories. This is because the equivalent of one glass of OJ is like 6 or 8 oranges (that's off the top of my head, but it's something around that I think). If you sat down and ate that many oranges, you'd get pretty full, but you wouldn't if you "ate" the same amount in juice form. So it's easy to overindulge. Best to eat a real orange if you can :)

Thank you for answering my question! I am a vegetarian (well, actually pescetarian: I still eat fish) myself and have always wondered what it would be like if I were ever a Level 5 athlete and keeping up with such a rigorous demand. I also eat loooootsss of veggie meat that's made of protein and soy and take multivitamins.

I know you're not trying to lose weight but I lost 25 pounds with My Fitness Pal last year. I LOVE that app. You see everything you're eating. Once I lost all that weight, I was kind of getting afraid of getting fat again so I wasn't eating as much as I should have been (it's under control now, don't worry) and My Fitness Pal actually helped me start eating more (of the good for me foods) once I set it to 1800 calories a day and always made sure I hit that or went over it on days I was exercising. So I highly recommend this app!

Just one thing to watch with the orange juice is it has a LOT of sugar, and is high in calories. This is because the equivalent of one glass of OJ is like 6 or 8 oranges (that's off the top of my head, but it's something around that I think). If you sat down and ate that many oranges, you'd get pretty full, but you wouldn't if you "ate" the same amount in juice form. So it's easy to overindulge. Best to eat a real orange if you can :)
Digging up fierceboard ancient ness... (Take heed folks... The power of the search bar!)

I'm interested in people posting their favorite healthy foods and yummy snacks. What are the staples in your athlete cupboard? I'm also really interested in this fish oil thing... Sons joints are popping and cracking more than your typical 15 year old... What's the word on this fishiness? Will it help?

@12stepCheermom Glucosamine supplements really helped me (dr recommended them) when I was having knee and joint issues too. I never took fish oil until recently but I'm no longer an athlete. Not sure what fish oil does exactly, but maybe look in to the differences of the two?

@12stepCheermom personally I'd stay away from the fish oils. Since it is a supplement (rather than a drug) they don't have to be tested or regulated by the FDA. This means that consumers are just blindly trusting that things are correctly labeled, when in reality they're usually getting at least 15% less omega 3s than what the bottle says and companies don't even necessarily have to remove all the mercury or other toxins found in fish. Not sure if that makes sense, but basically there is no one to hold manufacturers of O3 accountable for what they're selling. My mom is a pharmacist and when I was cheering she didn't let me take O3s but I did take glucosamine and chondroitin for a while. There have been new studies since then saying it doesn't actually do anything more beneficial than a placebo though. If you are going to look into G&C for him, just make sure he's taking it with a full 8 oz of water. I had to stop taking it because it was causing stomach pain, but I have a weak stomach and more water should help that

Back