Would I Be Able To Make A Level 5 Team?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 21, 2014
Well I've been obsessed with cheerleading for about 6 or 7 years and now I'm 17, about to turn 18. I wanted to do cheerleading before but with having a single mom and a sister we couldn't afford to do it. But now that I've graduated from high school and working a part time job I think I might be able to do it. The only problem is that I have no past cheer or gymnastics experience at all, and I really want to make a level 5 team next year. Next year will be the last year I'd be able to cheer on a senior team and I want to fulfill this goal before its too late. With the money I'm getting from my part time job, I wanted to use it to pay for private tumbling and cheer classes starting next month. I really wanted to know if it would be possible for me to acquire the skills it would take to be on a senior 5 team within a couple months ex. backhand spring, fulls, standing fulls, maybe even a double. I will start private training next month and will be training until the beginning of the 2015-2016 season. Would that be enough time for me to acquire those skills before the start of next season if I worked really hard for it?

Everyone progresses at a different rate and some people are able to learn skills very quickly...boys in particular. That being said, learning proper technique takes time. No one here can tell you whether you'll be able to gain level 5 skills in a year, but it's not unheard of. Make sure you have a reputable tumbling coach who focuses on safety and technique.

In my experience,doing this safely will require massive amounts of tine, effort, dedication, and most of all money. We are talking 3-4 hours a day, minimum every day in the gym, daily privates, ect. That is the only way I have seen this done, and even then it takes a special breed of talented and driven individual to pull it off. You cannot focus just on tumbling. You will need to jump, stunt, and dance at level 5 as well.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Do you have a backhandspring? Or a roundoff handspring to a tuck? If not, I'd say it's very unlikely because most teams would *at least* want you to have a round off handspring layout and a standing back tuck (that's level 4 tumbling, and then they'd hope that you could pick up the 5 skills). The only way I'd think it could be a possibility is if you have amazing strength to the point where you could single base a 100 pound girl over your head all by yourself ;), cause that would be uber impressive and strength like would be very valuable in all aspects of the team's stunting. If you are a super strong base, they *may* be willing to take you w/ out any tumbling and just let you do a stunt in the back while the rest of the team does their jumps to tuck.

Maybe a senior 4.2 (level 4 stunting, level 2 tumbling - which is a backhandspring) squad would be good for you? Those teams can go to some pretty cool competitions and would give you an exciting cheer experience while you work on gaining tumbling skills.

Like someone said before, I think it is possible for you to make a Lvl5 team without the massive amount of tumbling if you can stunt well... I remembered watching TopGun Large Coed, 2012-2013 season and they had a large guy on the team, who did not tumble, but was really awesome with massive strength in stunting and was in the back with the huge basket tosses, remarkable young man. So I said all of this, to encourage you to work on tumbling, but keep in mind that teams need more than just tumblers, particularly from the guys... Good Luck!

Like someone said before, I think it is possible for you to make a Lvl5 team without the massive amount of tumbling if you can stunt well... I remembered watching TopGun Large Coed, 2012-2013 season and they had a large guy on the team, who did not tumble, but was really awesome with massive strength in stunting and was in the back with the huge basket tosses, remarkable young man. So I said all of this, to encourage you to work on tumbling, but keep in mind that teams need more than just tumblers, particularly from the guys... Good Luck!

That guy had been with the program for many years, from what I remember Weezy saying, and his heart earned him a spot as much as his skill.

I *think* cea coed elite took 1 or 2 guys this year who may be completely new to cheer, but I think I remember someone saying there were AMAZING bases so were able to fill a skill spot :)

As a boy, you would probably have a very good chance of making a team next year if you put in the work this season. I would focus as much on conditioning, weight training and stunting as you do on tumbling, as boys are valuable as coed stunters. I would try to take more classes than privates, since the classes are much less expensive and you will get more gym time for your money. Once you learn the basics of stunting in your classes, you may even be able to help with clinics or flyer classes for free to give you even more experience. Is there a gym near you with a coed team? If so, I am sure they would be willing to have you come to practices once you have some stunting experience. I think most gyms with a coed program are more than willing to have boys come to the gym and help them fast-trak to their Worlds teams. Good luck!!

Along with what everyone has said above, it depends on the program you're planning to cheer at. Your chances are lowered if you're planning to try out at a large gym where there are tons of guys who are all around level 5 athletes. But if you try out at a smaller gym where they will put all their guys on a level 5 team, you'll get your wish!

Good luck!

As a boy, you would probably have a very good chance of making a team next year if you put in the work this season. I would focus as much on conditioning, weight training and stunting as you do on tumbling, as boys are valuable as coed stunters. I would try to take more classes than privates, since the classes are much less expensive and you will get more gym time for your money. Once you learn the basics of stunting in your classes, you may even be able to help with clinics or flyer classes for free to give you even more experience. Is there a gym near you with a coed team? If so, I am sure they would be willing to have you come to practices once you have some stunting experience. I think most gyms with a coed program are more than willing to have boys come to the gym and help them fast-trak to their Worlds teams. Good luck!!
Thank you and yeah I was actually going to be doing my classes at the California Allstars gym in Livermore. They have a medium coed team the Black Ops and that is one of my dream teams to be on!

Thank you for the advice!

Thank you and yeah I was actually going to be doing my classes at the California Allstars gym in Livermore. They have a medium coed team the Black Ops and that is one of my dream teams to be on!
That is going to be a long shot for sure. Cali has plenty of top level talent in line for worlds team spots. Not trying to discourage you, but trying to prepare you that if you want to cheer for Cali, you my have to take a non worlds spot.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Don't worry about what level team. The coaches will put that puzzle together when the times comes. Whether it is lv 5 or lv 2, you'll gain competitive experience & progress greatly skill wise. Keep working to the best of your ability & its highly likely that one day you will be level 5 and going to worlds. Will that be in a year? 90% of the time, no. It's very difficult with school and work and regular life to dedicate that much time to the gym. You'd need to be spending every waking moment that you don't have school/work at the gym practically. That does not mean that you'll never have the chance though! As people have said above, International lv 5 & lv 6 exist. Put in the effort, bust your bottom every day, & then who knows what will happen. Only time will tell.

Focus on getting a strong foundation, giving 100% at all times, & working to the hardest of your ability at practices as well as at home to improve. The skills will come, once you have strong basics to build on. The placement will come from that dedication, hard work & lots + lots of sweat!

Start conditioning and practicing your jumps & motions at home!
The more conditioned your body is, the easier it will be to pick up new skills.
Conditioning - For the "Love" of TumblingFor the "Love" of Tumbling

#youbettawork #conditioningisyourfriend

Good Luck! I hope you put in the dedication it will take to achieve your dreams. How far you will go is up to you.

Back