Youtube Of A&t Meet For All Stars Thinking About Scholarships

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by cheersafety, Apr 6, 2013.

1. BuegeSmalls

BuegeSmalls Uni designer and state IDer-Most positive shimmies Blondemafia

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    How many total schools have A&T teams? Are they relatively new?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

2. emhoss

emhoss I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    thank you so much! I certainly will :)

3. 4gemsmom

4gemsmom They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    For the 2013-2014 season there will be 8 schools. Azusa Pacific, CA, Baylor, TX, Quinnipiac, CT, Oregon, Fairmont, WV. The 3 new schools are Alderson-Broaddus, WV, Kings College, TN, and Hawaii Pacific. Nationals will be at Azusa Pacific next year.

4. 4gemsmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Just saw on another thread that U Mass Dartmouth will also be adding the program.

5. csagrl100

csagrl100 Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    What do you mean by signing to the team? Like scholarship wise?

6. 4gemsmom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It's an NCAA sport so you are signed by the school to participate. Once you sign you agree to abide by NCAA rules until your season is over. For A and T that would be the end of April. And yes for some girls this would mean a scholarship, too.

7. cheeraddict55

cheeraddict55 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    As an A&T athlete I just have a couple things to say:
    1. Don't watch the meet posted here. Watch APU's first match vs. Oregon or Quinnipiac vs. Oregon. While both teams are great, this meet was an utter disaster. Just don't.
    2. During APU meets, there is music blasting whenever there isn't anyone on the floor. (And our announcer is the best... he is the NCATA nationals announcer!) Also, we draw the largest crowd; standing room only at our first meet. Oregon is a close second though. It is definitely not boring live!
    3. Yes, the uniforms are SUPER comfy ;D
    4. We have to start off the mat. You need that power when you are doing 3 whips through to a full or a front handspring front full roundoff tuck on foam floor. Tumbling off the floor results in a huge deduction.
    5. Scoring is so. freaking. hard. They deduct you for literally every single thing. I think that definitely helps the sport in that technique is crucial to a score. Sure, you can whip out the craziest tumbling pass ever... but if it isn't perfectly executed in a safe way... you will be NAILED.
    6. Acros are probably the funnest thing of my life. It isn't a traditional sort of stunting, which keeps things fun. It's weird. And it definitely taught me how to fly better in regular stunts. The weight lifting they have us do has shown me how important core strength is and I plan to implement that when I coach someday.
    7. It is so easy to transition. Especially if you have a supportive team. There are definitely huge differences from cheer and acro but it's nothing too crazy. Technique is more important and the mental strength required is more intense. But your teammates are there for you to get you there :D
    8. Everyone on campus knows us. Sure, APU is already a small school, but after the first meet, you always have a ton of random people come up to you with stars in their eyes saying how awesome you did. After my first meet this year there were guys outside on the lawn trying to do our easy acro. Hilarious.

Basically, I love it!