All-Star Abc And Cnn Reporting About Medical Safety Study

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Random comment but after reading all the comments on the articles, I can understand why we care so much about this but what I don't understand is all of the people who care so much that cheer does not become "a sport" when they have absolutely nothing to do with it. They have never even cheered and they are dead set on cheerleading not becoming and sport and I just don't understand that...like why do you care so much?

Does AACCA have a Board of Directors? A rules committee? Bylaws? Is it possible that people who work for AACCA do not know that they are not following the recommendations of medical professionals in regards to surface and critical height?
AACCA isn't the issue, it has had rules and guidelines for safe school cheerleading for years and years now. The problem the AAP has with cheerleading is that schools/administrations/states in some places do not think cheer is important enough to have to follow all the rules/precautions that other sports do. Which is why we see the jank HS teams sometimes, because their coach and school choose not to follow the rules.

I think what is more interesting is that this thread is in the All Star cheerleading forum even though the article/journal and news reports are all on HS cheer, even though the videos mostly show All Star cheer lol.

I agree! But as you know, they don't get it themselves as reporters!
I am hoping this will force schools to hire real coaches instead of a "teacher/sponsor" that has no clue what he or she is doing. The school systems will be forced to actually pay someone to coach the cheerleaders.
I don't see this impacting all-star much other than possibly having more trained emergency response on site.
Would love to know what everyone thinks. :)
I hope that school systems don't say we can't afford this and say no more high school comps back to only the sidelines girls. Example WAY WAY back when I was in high school. A cheerleader at our school got severely injured doing back hand springs across the football field. School stepped in and said no tumbling more than a cartwheel. At that point high school comp cheer was not as larger as it is hear now, but it really made our team just the sideline rah rah girls who maybe did a dance (no real tumbling) at a pep rally.

Does AACCA have a Board of Directors? A rules committee? Bylaws? Is it possible that people who work for AACCA do not know that they are not following the recommendations of medical professionals in regards to surface and critical height?

Everyone might want to take a look at Jim Lord's Facebook page before you tar and feather him and the AACCA.

2: (my hopes) Coaches and athlete representatives take action and form/reform the governing bodies so that the sport can be properly represented through these new changes.

I'm missing the connection as to why the governing bodies need to be formed/reformed in response to this news. Can you elaborate?

In Saskatchewan were are considered an emerging sport as we work up to becoming a recognized sport we have to put in place processes for training coaches and judges.

Last year our high school teams are leveled like all-star teams while there has been some sand bagging it has overall improved the scary factor for teams trying stunts outside their skill level just to compete.

Our provincial body also reports to the national Cheer Canada organization.

In Saskatchewan were are considered an emerging sport as we work up to becoming a recognized sport we have to put in place processes for training coaches and judges.

Last year our high school teams are leveled like all-star teams while there has been some sand bagging it has overall improved the scary factor for teams trying stunts outside their skill level just to compete.

I hope for this to happen for all of our school and rec cheer

I'm missing the connection as to why the governing bodies need to be formed/reformed in response to this news. Can you elaborate?

In the case of governing bodies for Rec, School (Middle School and High School), College it's "form" a governing body because there is none.

In the case of having an overall governing body for cheer like their is for USA Soccer and many other sports it's "reform" because USA Cheer can't possibly fill that role.

Same with us in Manitoba. Our schools are leveled like this chart shows. My organization (Manitoba Cheer Federation) has been working with Sport Manitoba to be recognized. Such a long road!

Same with us in Manitoba. Our schools are leveled like this chart shows. My organization (Manitoba Cheer Federation) has been working with Sport Manitoba to be recognized. Such a long road!
is there a chart?

Bah, my link doesn't look right for some reason.
http://www.mbcheer.stirsite.com/f/School_Team_Age_Grid.pdf
So your high school comps are broken down into Levels? I like this concept.

After looking through, reading and listening to these articles I'm glad that legit medical attention is being given. I am nervous about cheer getting this kind of attention though. No one outside of the cheer world will ever understand that cheer is athletic and if it's going to be considered a "sport" it needs to be recognized that it is DIFFERENT than every other sport.
As MissBee pointed out previously is that if a school is struggling financially cheer will be the first to go.

The way to FIX this isn't simple, isn't easy and isn't fast. The FIX is to educate coaches and REQUIRE education. There are more schools that don't have educated coaches than those that do, that is the main issue.

I think it's good that the AAP is concerned with cheer being dangerous and needing medical attention such as other sports, we know that this is mostly about school cheer mostly because Rec and Allstar is practically unknown to others, and also due to the other facts mentioned. however when the statistics were given "more than 37,000 cheerleaders went to the ER last year" think about how many of those were probably allstar kids. The injuries are probably from school, rec and allstar combined. Also, just adding in, I'm not sure about other schools but I know it is mandatory for my school to have physical exams before being able to do sideline or competition squad, so unless it is not for some schools...not sure why that was stated

Bah, my link doesn't look right for some reason.
http://www.mbcheer.stirsite.com/f/School_Team_Age_Grid.pdf
I kind of like this, but at the same time I don't...
In my area most teams don't compete but if we would, (my team in particular) it's mixed up half level 5/4 athletes & half 2/3. Making it easy to score pretty well as a level four team/elite team, but difficult for others who may have half level 5 & half level 2 (which is common in my area). I actually enjoy seeing all levels mixed in with high school cheer competitions... But then again going with the system your school uses, it could prevent teams meant for level 2 trying level 4 skills just because all the teams they are competing against are higher skilled. Idk, I feel like it depends on the area and how progressed the teams are :)

Back