All-Star Abc And Cnn Reporting About Medical Safety Study

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I kind of like this, but at the same time I don't...
In my area most teams don't compete but if we would, (my team in particular) it's mixed up half level 5/4 athletes & half 2/3. Making it easy to score pretty well as a level four team/elite team, but difficult for others who may have half level 5 & half level 2 (which is common in my area). I actually enjoy seeing all levels mixed in with high school cheer competitions... But then again going with the system your school uses, it could prevent teams meant for level 2 trying level 4 skills just because all the teams they are competing against are higher skilled. Idk, I feel like it depends on the area and how progressed the teams are :)
It might make for a more well-rounded team..the US is huge and cheer is so diverse everywhere, but maybe if they implemented this, teams would succeed at whatever their level is, without trying to push in one area (tumbling or stunting) to get more points.

It might make for a more well-rounded team..the US is huge and cheer is so diverse everywhere, but maybe if they implemented this, teams would succeed at whatever their level is, without trying to push in one area (tumbling or stunting) to get more points.

The Cheer Canada system has adjusted tumbling for school teams recognizing that the chances of having a true level 3 or 4 team from a school is much harder than an all star program. Essentially, instead of needing a full team of a skill to max out, you need 50% at that skill. Majority is 25% for schools.

So your high school comps are broken down into Levels? I like this concept.

After looking through, reading and listening to these articles I'm glad that legit medical attention is being given. I am nervous about cheer getting this kind of attention though. No one outside of the cheer world will ever understand that cheer is athletic and if it's going to be considered a "sport" it needs to be recognized that it is DIFFERENT than every other sport.
As MissBee pointed out previously is that if a school is struggling financially cheer will be the first to go.

The way to FIX this isn't simple, isn't easy and isn't fast. The FIX is to educate coaches and REQUIRE education. There are more schools that don't have educated coaches than those that do, that is the main issue.

This is exactly the reason for my points. If people who understand cheer don't take the AAP guidance and regulate the sport from within, then advocate for the sport, then rules will be directed on the sport from outside agencies. Think about how cool it would be to have the cheer rules and restrictions dictated by school administrators. . .

This is exactly the reason for my points. If people who understand cheer don't take the AAP guidance and regulate the sport from within, then advocate for the sport, then rules will be directed on the sport from outside agencies. Think about how cool it would be to have the cheer rules and restrictions dictated by school administrators. . .
I agree, but think about the "middle of no where" schools (which greatly outnumber the popular cheer schools). Even if administrators DO try to mandate from within, there is no direction to go. But I hear you! That would be ideal. What NEEDS to happen is there needs to be a REQUIRED 2 day, hands on course to start coaching. Solves a lot of problems, not all but a lot.
I would say my "area" is fairly knowledgeable when it comes to cheer in general, however, I still see high school teams throwing back tuck baskets. I mean really!? How is this still happening? But it still does, mainly bc these coaches weren't required to do anything other than sign their name to be a coach, it's disgraceful!

Back