All-Star Cheerleaders Season 3?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That was the initial reason posted..which was fine. Ok, her mom's going to Cali to teach power tumbling, she's obviously pretty skilled at that, they're doing a Rio Exhibition in a few years, might as well prep now. Maybe that's where the major facility is for power tumbling, I know the elite ones tend to be scattered.

The whole part about her 'education' being a major factor just threw me off, considering the education she's getting could be done anywhere.

Side thought: In a weird way- I don't know that it's about trying to hand-pick a ring at all. I think it's about trying to hand-pick an experience, which is common of kids in the 'millennial' generation. Fitting in is so psychologically important it's practically crippling, and many rate their ability to find meaning/enjoying what they're doing as the UTMOST priority. They're not interested so much in doing what's expected or typical, they have lofty ideals about 'unique' and 'special' situations/lives which are all-too-often unattainable. The 'You-can-make-it-happen-if-you-believe-and-try' mentality is a lovely pep talk, but the practical reality leaves a lot to be desired and many miserable because they're not getting what they expect to happen. "Special Snowflake" isn't just in relation to themselves as people, but in to the situations/experiences they expect to encounter. The difference is that compared to most parents, there is someone capable of footing the bill. I'm not saying it's the case all the way around, but it explains the phenomenon pretty well.

So perhaps it's about being special enough to require an extreme situation - like just getting in a car and driving 20-40mins to get to practice like everybody else is just too typical for some of them?

One time my CP showed me an article (it wasn't about cheerleaders) that said when you start getting over 250,00 followers on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, vine, views on YouTube, etc.) you can make a 6 figure income from it. My guess is more money is being made than people realize.

I'm going to make a statement. This sport is becoming corrupt. Essentially any high profile athlete can just shop for a gym that fits their needs. Doesnt win a ring at gym A? No worries gym B will put me on their premier team. Or, gym C's coach wasn't nice so I'm gonna move across the country for gym D. What other sport does that? I could compare it to pro sports but those are contracted players. But as for the amateur level, what about college athletes? A football player can't say I didn't win so and so bowl game so let me just transfer. We don't see kids moving across the country for travel soccer or baseball. There is something about these cross country gym hopper situations that do not sit well with me. Just some food for thought.

I will say I know of kids transferring schools for sports, in or out of the state for some of the above reasons, I think that because cheer is one of those things that you can do without being attached to a school it is on such a high level.

I don't have problem with people switching gyms, or even going across country for it. My issue is when kids are still in HS doing it, or when they do it in the middle of the season.

ETA: I thought Robert was on the Cali IoC5 team this season? Also just thinking Gabi seems like she wants a break from cheer, would an open team give that opportunity?

Last edited:
It's interesting how Gabi in the show is so so anxious about starting a new school (which she has every right to be), but I wonder if joining a new team every season she is just as anxious?

Maybe because people know of her is the difference? So they will automatically will want to be her friend compared to going into a environment where no one knows you.

I don't follow the show, but my assumption is that this is still pretty anxiety-inducing because:

1. There are folks who will want to be your friend just because you're ____ from Smoed. But then you wonder "Is this person genuinely nice or are they just being nice so they can be all up in my Youtube show?" or "Is she just being nice so she can tell her friends she's friends with _______ from Smoed?"

2. In the same way that people will automatically WANT your friendship, there are others who might be the OPPOSITE. Ex: Being standoffish or not nice simply because you're ______ and "like, who does she think she is?"

3. Being honest, any time someone flies in from somewhere else, the homegrown or existing kids on teams start to get nervous for their spots because their spot IS potentially on the line. Ex: If you're on GymTime _____, and you hear that ______ is coming to town, and you're a flyer, you might feel like "Who does she think she is?!" and "Omg am I even going to fly this year?" you're less likely to be super friendly to her.

Are these things BOUND to happen? Maybe not. I'm sure the kids at GymTime are all super sweet, but it has to be in the back of a new fly-ins mind anytime they start somewhere new. I mean, you KNOW what people are like on the team you just left. The team you're going to? Not so much.

I've personally seen parents decide to let their home be foreclosed on and move into an apartment in order to get their kids playing on a high profile public high school football team. Different, but still pretty high stakes. (Actually a close acquaintance of mine. I don't necessarily a few with her choice, but her son is committed to a D1 school, so she seems to be getting what she wanted).

:jawdrop:

oh my god, you win. or lose.

So perhaps it's about being special enough to require an extreme situation - like just getting in a car and driving 20-40mins to get to practice like everybody else is just too typical for some of them?
Not necessarily. I think the difference is that while many DREAM of being able to do 'special' things (and of course, special is different for everyone), most don't have the fiscal ability or opportunity to do so and are therefore reigned in. There's risk on either side though- coping abilities, narcissism, and what to do when you make a mistake. You could argue giving them various opportunities widens their horizons and opens them to more opportunities, but also there's no structure which can be damaging for many youths. You could also argue that restricting them limits them in various ways but keeps them grounded and realistic.

It's a very delicate balance, and there are NO right answers.

3. Being honest, any time someone flies in from somewhere else, the homegrown or existing kids on teams start to get nervous for their spots because their spot IS potentially on the line. Ex: If you're on GymTime _____, and you hear that ______ is coming to town, and you're a flyer, you might feel like "Who does she think she is?!" and "Omg am I even going to fly this year?" you're less likely to be super friendly to her.

And on an open team like that many of those athletes are college aged, been in the game for years.

TO THE SHOW: Angel mentions that when she moved to Cali school was a major consideration....yet she's homeschooling? She could have done that anywhere, couldn't she?

Depending on what college Angel is considering, but moving to Cali now she's setting up residency and perhaps won't have to pay out of state tuition? That is the only way I could understand her being there for school while homeschooling.

I typically don't comment on these type things - but I really hope when these girls/guys are older and have to look back, that they don't regret the decisions they made for cheer. Maybe I am naive to think that high school memories mixed with just enjoying being a teenager, and enjoying those years doing typical teenage things are a thing of the past. My children are young adults/college age and I know they have fond memories of homecomings, friday night football - prom, high school sports - hanging with friends.. My daughter also enjoyed allstars for 11 years, which she wouldn't trade- mixed with growing up and graduating HS with friends she has known her whole life. It is all about balance :) Just my opinion. Sorry for the hijack.

If I could have given up HS to dance full-time I would have. I hate using DM's as an example, but if you look at what happened when Maddie and Chloe. Maddie is homeschooling to being a studio rat, while Chloe was asked if she wanted to and said no because she wanted that normalcy. Both have tons of talent but wanted two different things.

I see this the same way. Not to mention, in a certain light, they don't really know what they're missing.

The football example is different - you can get a D1 scholarship for football and that can ultimately lead to a pro football career - major payoff = a free education, fame and admiration for a true talent (not manufactured reality show fame), millions of dollars, the hall of fame, coaching career, etc. I really don't see what cheer can lead to besides for Instagram followers and fleeting glory that goes away as soon as someone ages out - I guess you could open a gym on your name and be the next CEA, but still, you don't need to be famous to do that. There are no pro all star cheerleaders, they don't even give out college scholarships for it and it's not in the Olympics. It's a fun extra-cuticular activity that kids do when they are in school. Oh, and it's also expensive to do! I don't get why someone would drive themselves into financial ruin for cheer - or dance too for that matter.

Weekly travel back and forth to somewhere a 2.5 hour flight away would send my family into financial ruin I know that - as would maintaining two living situations on different sides of the country - these people must be loaded beyond belief to afford that, or there is some kickback situation that's covering the expense. My CP would be going TG, that's for sure ;).

Oh, and I got to add Chloe and Maddie of dance moms are nowhere *near* as talented at dance as Gabi is talented at cheer. Maddie is above average, but CP personally knows many dancers the same age who are better than her - ones who have beat her convincingly at real comps. Chloe is really just average for her age. The show really makes them all out to be *much* better than reality. I will give cheer credit in that most of our "idols" and cheerlebrities actually are the best in the sport. The Dance Moms situation is not the case. Please don't believe that hype.

I'm going to make a statement. This sport is becoming corrupt. Essentially any high profile athlete can just shop for a gym that fits their needs. Doesnt win a ring at gym A? No worries gym B will put me on their premier team. Or, gym C's coach wasn't nice so I'm gonna move across the country for gym D. What other sport does that? I could compare it to pro sports but those are contracted players. But as for the amateur level, what about college athletes? A football player can't say I didn't win so and so bowl game so let me just transfer. We don't see kids moving across the country for travel soccer or baseball. There is something about these cross country gym hopper situations that do not sit well with me. Just some food for thought.
:shimmy:

ETA: In Kiwi's case, I think he had a good reason to move. I wouldn't want to stay in an environment that made me uncomfortable. (Not saying that anything bad happened at Cali, because as an outsider I don't know.)

Last edited:
Depending on what college Angel is considering, but moving to Cali now she's setting up residency and perhaps won't have to pay out of state tuition? That is the only way I could understand her being there for school while homeschooling.

You might be right, it Only takes 4 years in Ca.

Back