OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
So today was my first day back and I already have a paper due tomorrow. And I have 2 more due within the next 2 weeks. And another assignment to play with mashed potatoes by Wednesday. If you guys want me to post the proof that I have to have for class, I will, but I will say it's by far the strangest assignment I've had

I think it's fun to see celebrities do it and donate the money (the "and" part is important) but the people I've seen do it who aren't celebrities are kids/teens who don't even have money to donate. So to them it's just a popularity contest and another way to get attention on social media. They don't even know what ALS is. I think that's where it kinda loses it's meaning. I've only seen one non-celebrity person actually donate money ( I believe it was @Level5Mom 's amazing daughter). If the older generations were targeted/nominated, I feel like there would be a little more being donated.

Regardless though of who's donating and whose not, the NY Times reported that since July 29th, over $13 million has been donated, which is awesome when you compare it to their last years figures at this time, $1.7 million. I think that's pretty cool.

Side note - I'm a total tech nerd and I took a couple classes before I graduated about social media and it's influence on our society. It's so awesome to see things like this happen. Social media is such a fantastic tool for EVERYTHING and it's always evolving and changing our life. It's really neat to study how marketers interact with the general public/targeted audience and vice versa. It's created such a cool relationship between both sides. This is a great example of the good social media can do. I hope it opens new doors for other organizations too.
That's really amazing. An extremely close family friend (he was my moms Mardi Gras king when she was queen) died from it a few years back and the entire town was devastated. Now all of the Mardi Gras krewes are doing it for him. (Obviously they're donating too.) And the local college cheer and dance teams did it. And I saw where the entire staff of LACF did it and donated! (and called out Cheer Energy's staff. Isn't that your gym @cupieqt? If so we'll be needing a video.) You're right, social media is such a great tool when used correctly. I don't think a lot of people realize how privileged we are nowadays when it comes to mass communication.

That's really amazing. An extremely close family friend (he was my moms Mardi Gras king when she was queen) died from it a few years back and the entire town was devastated. Now all of the Mardi Gras krewes are doing it for him. (Obviously they're donating too.) And the local college cheer and dance teams did it. And I saw where the entire staff of LACF did it and donated! (and called out Cheer Energy's staff. Isn't that your gym @cupieqt? If so we'll be needing a video.) You're right, social media is such a great tool when used correctly. I don't think a lot of people realize how privileged we are nowadays when it comes to mass communication.
That's us. Ughhhh I was really really hoping to avoid having to do this. I appreciate the cause though!

I love that gyms are doing it. A local gym nominated my gym and 3 others, it's fun to see gyms interacting during the off season in a positive way and I don't know about others, but the gyms here have been donating! Tons of people have done it and not donated I'm sure, but the more people do it and spread the word, the more donations are made, regardless of if every single person donates... and it's obviously working! I've seen teens donating (probably their parents money but who cares) and doing the challenge, so it's good to see it's not just about popularity for some people! Our student council wants to have a competition and whichever grade raises the most money for ALS gets to pick teachers to dump ice water on. I hope it happens!
I will say I'm glad I haven't been nominated though.... Brrr!

Haha yes, I would definitely agree with you how we are privileged to have it. Mass Communications was one of my minors in school. Even if you never do anything with it, it's great to take a class in it and see how it works (and to learn how people are actually persuading you through it - for better or for worse. But that's a whole different subject.)

One of my favorite classes was New Media and for a whole semester we learned how all this new technology is evolving our society, in both good and bad ways. I wish everyone had the opportunity to take it, it's amazing to learn what's happening out there. One of my favorite things that I learned was how organizations are using social media to connect and help the general public. If I remember correctly, government researchers in Australia are using twitter to warn followers of shark sitings. They tag sharks with transmitters or something and set up certain "points" near popular beaches so if a shark with a transmitter swims within a half mile of one of the beaches a computer will tweet to the twitter account saying "This breed of shark spotted xyz distance from this beach. Xamount of ft in length" to warn people before the shark even comes close to the beach. Scientist know how much people use social media and how it's so ingrained in our daily lives so they thought "why don't we just incorporate this info into their daily social media routine." Like I can't begin to tell you how cool I think that is!! Seriously so cool. It's so exciting to see what will come next.

I don't mind working overnight, but it's my Friday tonight and I just really can't wait to go home. I haven't slept in bed with Rob in two weeks, just from work and being out of town. I'm just so spent.

On Sunday and Monday nights, I'm completely on my own. Totally by myself. Its awful. I feel like I'm losing my mind sometimes.

At around 2 am, I wanted to go home sick so badly. Like sooo badly. Its 3 am now and I can't stop watching the clock and I just feel like screaming or crying or something. I just want to go home so bad today.

Regarding the ice bucket challenge, while I am thrilled the amount of attention and money the ALS foundation is getting (it is a horrible, horrible disease and not enough people are aware of it), I'm having issues coming to terms with the amount of water we are wasting when there are countries where people do not have enough sanitary drinking water on a daily basis. I know we cannot help everyone but this is just something that has been bothering me these past few days. Carry on.

Regarding the ice bucket challenge, while I am thrilled the amount of attention and money the ALS foundation is getting (it is a horrible, horrible disease and not enough people are aware of it), I'm having issues coming to terms with the amount of water we are wasting when there are countries where people do not have enough sanitary drinking water on a daily basis. I know we cannot help everyone but this is just something that has been bothering me these past few days. Carry on.

One of the videos I watched last night a kid put a single ice cube in a bucket and dumped it on his head. (He lived in Cali) said he's not gonna waste the water to do the challenge because of the drought but he's still donating money.

@GForce have you seen revenge? I really enjoyed it if you're still looking for something to watch, I think the first 2 seasons are on Netflix.

And whoever was asking about murder mystery parties I've done a couple if you want to pm me :) there's a company over here (idk if it's in the states too) called Inspector McClue and the box has everything you need if you want it to be easy!

@GForce have you seen revenge? I really enjoyed it if you're still looking for something to watch, I think the first 2 seasons are on Netflix.

And whoever was asking about murder mystery parties I've done a couple if you want to pm me :) there's a company over here (idk if it's in the states too) called Inspector McClue and the box has everything you need if you want it to be easy!

I haven't seen Revenge but my sister watches it :)

One of the videos I watched last night a kid put a single ice cube in a bucket and dumped it on his head. (He lived in Cali) said he's not gonna waste the water to do the challenge because of the drought but he's still donating money.
My friend did that! He just posted his Facebook status saying that there was a drought and wasn't going to waste water and he donated $50. Then tagged people just to donate money.

What are some good ways to get your foot in the door at local cheerleading gyms? I emailed two now that I have moved into college to see about like volunteer work or similar positions. Anyone have any ideas?

If you participate in the ALS ice bucket challenge and don't at least donate to the cause, you're bad and you should feel bad.

We're doing it at work and challenging other library branches in our system. I don't personally want to do it (as in get the water poured on me ) because I agree that the water is wasteful and purpose defeating since we're actually donating. But nobody asked me.

Back