OT New New Random Thread...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
So I'm hearing on Twitter that Gabi Butler is leaving Smoed... is this true?

ETA: Yes it is

On a less bittersweet note, this is way too cute!
Instagram

Last edited:
The athletic trainer at my HS is battling cancer, and it's literally so hard for me to deal with. Even though I'm in school, I saw her before I left and she had already shaved her head. I love her so much, she was not only the trainer, but she was my teacher freshman year in PE and dubbed my class her favorite. We all love her, I used to hang out in her office before practices and games. She is also an alum of our school. She doesn't want people to feel sorry for her, but I really want to do something to show her that she is loved and cared for. Any ideas?
That's awful. Maybe you guys could go al out with a Texas HS style halftime performance in her honor? Band, students, cheerleaders, dancers, faculty and staff? Everyone could get involved. And maybe your class president could give a speech.

So I'm hearing on Twitter that Gabi Butler is leaving Smoed... is this true?

from tumblr..
tumblr_nc3wsxMFSH1rrxrzno1_250.jpg
tumblr_nc3wsxMFSH1rrxrzno2_250.jpg

tumblr_nc3wsxMFSH1rrxrzno3_500.jpg

That's awful. Maybe you guys could go al out with a Texas HS style halftime performance in her honor? Band, students, cheerleaders, dancers, faculty and staff? Everyone could get involved. And maybe your class president could give a speech.

I've graduated, and even so my HS is from a little VA suburb so it wouldn't work. I know the Field Hockey team is donating to a local fund for athletic personnel suffering from cancer. I think my HS cheer squad is wearing electric green bows, which works because our school colors are green. I might just donate to the fund.

Less than an hour till voting stations close to decide if Scotland becomes an independent nation or stays as a part of the UK....

Quite scared to leave my flat tomorrow - the city I live in has a lot of very passionate "yes" (for independence) voters and I don't want to be around if the vote doesn't go their way!

Less than an hour till voting stations close to decide if Scotland becomes an independent nation or stays as a part of the UK....

Quite scared to leave my flat tomorrow - the city I live in has a lot of very passionate "yes" (for independence) voters and I don't want to be around if the vote doesn't go their way!
I guess a Stay Safe is called for then.

I just hope people voted after careful consideration and not on a passionate whim. Though as English it isn't really my place to say...

@Cheer Dad Forgive my ignorance but what is a Stay Safe? Is it a scheme?

@RS_Amie Agree and I hope so too. Over the past week there have been many gatherings where traditional Scottish music and dances have been performed and lots of traditional Scots films/shows are being shown on TV. It is raising lots of passion for the country, but not necessarily what's best.

Edit - I absolutely love Scots music and dances but I almost feel guilty for enjoying them now since I'm a no voter. It sad that its come to that!

@Cheer Dad Forgive my ignorance but what is a Stay Safe? Is it a scheme?

@RS_Amie Agree and I hope so too. Over the past week there have been many gatherings where traditional Scottish music and dances have been performed and lots of traditional Scots films/shows are being shown on TV. It is raising lots of passion for the country, but not necessarily what's best.

Edit - I absolutely love Scots music and dances but I almost feel guilty for enjoying them now since I'm a no voter. It sad that its come to that!
Be careful. Don't get hurt by the people unhappy with the vote.

I'm having an issue. There's an autistic girl in my Pilates class. She kicks booty at it. Sometimes she raises her hands and asks some off topic questions, but otherwise she participates really well. This other girl seems to always look around like, "what the heck, this girl is weird" and obviously looking for reactions from the class about this autistic girl. I'm getting really angry the more and more it's happening. I want to say something to her, but I don't want to embarrass her or the autistic girl by calling excessive attention. ):

I'm having an issue. There's an autistic girl in my Pilates class. She kicks booty at it. Sometimes she raises her hands and asks some off topic questions, but otherwise she participates really well. This other girl seems to always look around like, "what the heck, this girl is weird" and obviously looking for reactions from the class about this autistic girl. I'm getting really angry the more and more it's happening. I want to say something to her, but I don't want to embarrass her or the autistic girl by calling excessive attention. ):

Are you the instructor or the participant?

Maybe you can pull the girl aside after the class and either tell her the girl is autistic (I don't know if that's ethical or wrong) or if you're the instructor say "I love that you're in this class but I don't love the attitude you seem to give when some of the other participants speak up." Let her know it won't be tolerated.

If you're a participant in the class then maybe you could talk to the teacher about it and ask her to talk to the girl.

i know you mean well and are coming from a very good place, so i 100% promise i don't mean this in a b*tchy way, but it's much kinder to at the very least say a girl with autism rather than "autistic girl." if you had a disability you wouldn't want to be defined by it and it is hurtful to some people. pet peeve, i apologize, and i almost hate to even say it because you're trying to do something nice here.:oops:

to your question - it's a tricky situation, and i wouldn't want to draw attention to either girl, either. in a perfect world, i'd introduce myself to the girl who has autism and befriend her and say to heck with the other girl. try not looking at the rude, other girl at all. if no one in the class is giving the girl a reaction when she wants one, she may stop. if not, if there are any breaks or you find yourself near her before or after class, it may be something to clue her in on. like, "hey, i realize Suzie may bother you during class but i noticed the way you react when she speaks and it makes me uncomfortable/angry/is rude/inconsiderate/etc." i'd try to approach it more from that angle rather than, "hey, Suzie is autistic, give her a break!" you could also attempt to use it as a teaching moment. some people just don't really understand autism or she may not even realize that Suzie has autism. or if you're non-confrontational i'd let the teacher know that the other girl is distracting and being inconsiderate and ask the teacher speak with her about it.

i know you mean well and are coming from a very good place, so i 100% promise i don't mean this in a b*tchy way, but it's much kinder to at the very least say a girl with autism rather than "autistic girl." if you had a disability you wouldn't want to be defined by it and it is hurtful to some people. pet peeve, i apologize, and i almost hate to even say it because you're trying to do something nice here.:oops:

to your question - it's a tricky situation, and i wouldn't want to draw attention to either girl, either. in a perfect world, i'd introduce myself to the girl who has autism and befriend her and say to heck with the other girl. try not looking at the rude, other girl at all. if no one in the class is giving the girl a reaction when she wants one, she may stop. if not, if there are any breaks or you find yourself near her before or after class, it may be something to clue her in on. like, "hey, i realize Suzie may bother you during class but i noticed the way you react when she speaks and it makes me uncomfortable/angry/is rude/inconsiderate/etc." i'd try to approach it more from that angle rather than, "hey, Suzie is autistic, give her a break!" you could also attempt to use it as a teaching moment. some people just don't really understand autism or she may not even realize that Suzie has autism. or if you're non-confrontational i'd let the teacher know that the other girl is distracting and being inconsiderate and ask the teacher speak with her about it.
Thank you very much for the insight, I appreciate it. I'm glad that you let me know!

My first thought was anger, but as I thought about it I started to realize that she may truly be unaware. Some people still don't even know that you can't drink or smoke while pregnant, so it's entirely possible that she's never encountered anyone with autism before.

I'll try emailing the instructor first and see where that takes me.

Thank you very much for the insight, I appreciate it. I'm glad that you let me know!

My first thought was anger, but as I thought about it I started to realize that she may truly be unaware. Some people still don't even know that you can't drink or smoke while pregnant, so it's entirely possible that she's never encountered anyone with autism before.

I'll try emailing the instructor first and see where that takes me.

good idea! i'm more non confrontational and teachers are just better at those things if you don't know the girl! and some people, in general, are just crazy exercise people who get angry if you merely cough in a yoga class. but good for you noticing a problem and trying to fix it!

and i still recommend introducing yourself to the girl in class who has autism! social situations can be tough and intimidating situations for a lot of people on the spectrum but meeting people and interacting are always wonderful :D

Back