OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
speaking of Chicago... did you see EA/NHL's announcement about removing Kane from the nhl16 cover?
Yes. Not sure what to say... I'm a die hard Kane fan, so I'll probably just stay quiet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AHHH that's where I work!!! I've been there for 10 years I'm a group leader in senior camp!!!! This just made me so happy haha :) I drove that far to WC as well so if you have any questions let me know!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't believe you work at Black Bear!! One of my older boys is in senior camp-hah, too funny:). What a small world!

Rant time.
So if any of you know what I look like at all, you'd know my teeth are crooked. I know this. I have two teeth on my upper row that are sharp and much further up and forwards than the rest. I went to the orthodontist for the first time in 8 years, and I really REALLY wanted Invisalign. Not only because you can't see them, but because I also play trumpet, and I've seen braces basically make a kid relearn trumpet, and I JUST made the top level band at my school, and I don't want to be the kid that sucks because of braces.
The orthodontist basically rolled his eyes and said "no way" to Invisalign...
So now I'm stuck with the choice: don't fix my teeth. They don't bother me, I was just gonna fix them because we can afford it right now. Or I can get braces for 2 years and have to relearn trumpet and pray I don't get hit in the face during stunting.
I'm really torn right now because I HATE the look of braces. Absolutely hate it. I wanted to maybe talk to another orthodontist and see if they will let me do Invisalign or no. I know it will take longer but I don't mind since they're basically invisible..
I'm so upset :(

Rant time.
So if any of you know what I look like at all, you'd know my teeth are crooked. I know this. I have two teeth on my upper row that are sharp and much further up and forwards than the rest. I went to the orthodontist for the first time in 8 years, and I really REALLY wanted Invisalign. Not only because you can't see them, but because I also play trumpet, and I've seen braces basically make a kid relearn trumpet, and I JUST made the top level band at my school, and I don't want to be the kid that sucks because of braces.
So now I'm stuck with the choice: don't fix my teeth. They don't bother me, I was just gonna fix them because we can afford it right now. Or I can get braces for 2 years and have to relearn trumpet and pray I don't get hit in the face during stunting.
I'm really torn right now because I HATE the look of braces. Absolutely hate it. I wanted to maybe talk to another orthodontist and see if they will let me do Invisalign or no. I know it will take longer but I don't mind since they're basically invisible..

Getting a second opinion might help. Did your ortho say why he says no? If it's because of your teeth are too crooked, is it possible to get the regular braces long enough to get your teeth in a position that would be ok for Invisalign? Like maybe have the regular braces for a couple of months and then switch to Invisalign? Then it wouldn't disrupt your life too much. Not sure if that's a possibility for you. Maybe you could express your concerns to your ortho about how regular braces would affect your interests (trumpet, cheer, etc) and you guys could discuss what other possibilities there are for you.

Congrats on making top level band though, that's awesome!

Rant time.

I had a chat with my ortho about Invisalign a few weeks back; I had braces as a teen but wasn't so good with my retainer afterwards so I have one tooth that really bothers me.

We got on the subject of how most people, especially young adults / teens aren't very good with their retainers after braces (some are fine - but some aren't (like myself) and teeth move) and my ortho said most orthodontist don't usually give the OK to Invisalign to teens for this reason... Invisalign is basically the same idea as retainer. Teens/ young adults have a really hard time keeping something on their mouths that isn't "permanent". You have to wear them constantly (I believe they can only be out a certain amount of time per day for eating) but so many people (even older people as well) have a hard time keeping it in/ remembering to put it back in after eating / keeping it in for the correct time.

That's just what my ortho said to me, so that is some reasoning. I would definitely get another opinion though just so you don't miss out.

@FierceIsTheName Take it from someone who's had every dental appliance/ procedure you can imagine. Invisalign is nice but unless you are very diligent about wearing them all the time, then they won't work in the long run like actual braces will, and you might end up with bigger problems down the road if things start to reverse.

I apologize for the dumb question I'm about to ask, but what type of lettuce and dressing are at salad bars restaurants etc. When I make salad at home as stupid as it sounds, the lettuce tastes nothing like how it does when you eat out or at college campus cafeterias. Same with the ranch dressing, even though I've tried a million types and brands. Yet where ever I go weather it's a salad bar at pizza pirate or if it's at the ucla campus it always tastes the same.

I feel like this is a question I shouldn't have to ask but it's all I crave and I've spent forever trying to find what tastes the same.

I'm going kayaking on Sept 3. Just in the Chicago River, so nothing like adventurous or anything, but I'm terrified nonetheless.

Is it hard? How do you steer it? Gah! What if I flip over? What if I get a flesh eating bacteria from the water???

Help...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Omg. On my way to Union today I saw like 4 people doing that and I was all [emoji79][emoji79][emoji79][emoji79]
It looked easy, but they were all solo.

Rant time.

If invisalign really isn't an option for your teeth, i'd look into an orthodontist who does the reverse braces. IDK if that's they're official name? but it uses the same metal hardware and wires but they "install" it on the backside of your teeth. not sure if that would interfere with playing the trumpet, though... but nothing would be on the front of your teeth.

Rant time.

Why did he say no to invisalign? I wonder if they're too crooked for invisalign, I think they're better for minor adjustments. I had invisalign after 4 years of braces and personally hated them. I disliked them for some of the reasons others have mentioned. I wasn't very good about dealing with the pain and wouldn't put them back in after I took them out. My orthodontist let me get them because I had been in braces for 4 years (he told me 2 up front!) and I was going into my senior year and had senior portraits. But I would take them out at school for lunch and I wouldn't put them back in because they were gross and I needed to brush them and my teeth hurt. My dad ended up having to pay out of pocket for a whole new set because I stopped wearing them and they no longer fit. And then I went to college and stopped wearing the new set too.

My husband had them for a few months while we were engaged and he was fine with them, but yeah, I don't really recommend them for a teenager in school.

If invisalign really isn't an option for your teeth, i'd look into an orthodontist who does the reverse braces. IDK if that's they're official name? but it uses the same metal hardware and wires but they "install" it on the backside of your teeth. not sure if that would interfere with playing the trumpet, though... but nothing would be on the front of your teeth.
I've heard of those, but I've heard they can give you a lisp when you speak.

I've heard of those, but I've heard they can give you a lisp when you speak.

Invisalign and retainers also give you a lisp initially. you usually get used to them the more you speak and they go away.

I wish they existed when I got braces because i had permanent sores everywhere in my cheeks and back of my lips. (later found out they were from food allergies but the braces were exacerbating the problem) i was in pain 24/7. so the orthodontist took them off early for me and was going to "finish" with retainers.. but not Invisalign a metal one that never fit me and he would scream at me and i never went back. now i'm 25 and need Invisalign. and I get to foot the bill. yay adulthood.

I apologize for the dumb question I'm about to ask, but what type of lettuce and dressing are at salad bars restaurants etc. When I make salad at home as stupid as it sounds, the lettuce tastes nothing like how it does when you eat out or at college campus cafeterias. Same with the ranch dressing, even though I've tried a million types and brands. Yet where ever I go weather it's a salad bar at pizza pirate or if it's at the ucla campus it always tastes the same.

I feel like this is a question I shouldn't have to ask but it's all I crave and I've spent forever trying to find what tastes the same.
The lettuce is often a blend. Look at the bagged salad blends.

Ranch dressing at restaurants is usually made from the packets too. Those are sometimes by the salad dressing and sometimes by the spices. You mix the packet with milk and mayonnaise. Sounds like it should be disgusting, but it is so much better than bottled!

My younger sister had Invisalign as a teenager. No problems. No complaints. No lisp. She only needed minor corrections.

Back