OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Ok so I want to buy a Mac but I'm not sure which is better. I'm looking at the 13" MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro. I've had my current laptop for four years and haven't used the disc drive in the last two so that isn't an issue for me. However, I'll hopefully be attending grad school in the fall so I need something that's going to hold up well for the next 5-6 years. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had both - MacBook Pro purchased in 2008 that lasted until last year so 7 years of 24/7 use; the battery eventually swelled up and the trackpad would go insane and it was like the thing was possessed. Up until that last month it was perfect and I honestly could probably get that fixed but I was about due for a new one anyway.

A few months ago I purchased the 13" MacBook Air. I love Macs and I am not doing many "techy" things; my grad program involves a lot of online work/some video watching and paper writing/powerpoint making so I couldn't really rationalize the cost of a pro when I didn't need the specs. I had to purchase the external CD drive so that's a con that it doesn't have one. There's only two USB ports which could be a con if you use more than one at once. I will say that it is so much easier to bring it to all of my classes. It is so easy to transport and so light that my backpack isn't 100 pounds. Half the time I forget it's in my backpack.

So unless you have legitimate tech related reasons to need the pro, I'd go with the MacBook Air as long as it's 13 inch and not 11. I found 11 to be too small and I might as well be using an iPad at that size.

I will be the first to tell you that I am very anti-apple (which is weird since I'm typing this from a Mac and they are my industry's standard) but I do acknowledge that they are great for people who are not good with technology. I'd buy my mom one tbh if I had the money because she is computer illiterate.

Although I can't offer you any first hand advice on what my experiences are with either models, If I were you, I would go with the Pro. If it were to last you 5-6 whole years, the specs on those seem more advanced. It seems like it has a beter processor, more memory, better/more advanced everything except the wireless web time for the battery. (It even has an HDMI which is a HUGE plus. You don't have to worry about an adapter.) The Air seems functional now but it's already been one upped by the Pro. By the time 5-6 years roll around it will probably be very obsolete. In the long term, if you can afford it, I think the Pro is the better investment :)
personally i do love Apple computers, as i have a laptop of my own. However as weird as this sounds, Apple sucks if you want to play any form of realistic high graphic quality game. I have both simcity and Cities skyline and the graphics are horrible simply because my Apple laptop cant handle it. Games are playable if your willing to sacrifice having low graphic quality, which sucks. But apple also is really good at preventing any form of malware or virus attack, ive owned this computer since 2008/2009 and have never encountered any form of virus meltdown, compared to what a PC typically get.
Overall i plan on updating my computer in the next few years, and ill probably go back to having a PC.

I've had both - MacBook Pro purchased in 2008 that lasted until last year so 7 years of 24/7 use; the battery eventually swelled up and the trackpad would go insane and it was like the thing was possessed. Up until that last month it was perfect and I honestly could probably get that fixed but I was about due for a new one anyway.

A few months ago I purchased the 13" MacBook Air. I love Macs and I am not doing many "techy" things; my grad program involves a lot of online work/some video watching and paper writing/powerpoint making so I couldn't really rationalize the cost of a pro when I didn't need the specs. I had to purchase the external CD drive so that's a con that it doesn't have one. There's only two USB ports which could be a con if you use more than one at once. I will say that it is so much easier to bring it to all of my classes. It is so easy to transport and so light that my backpack isn't 100 pounds. Half the time I forget it's in my backpack.

So unless you have legitimate tech related reasons to need the pro, I'd go with the MacBook Air as long as it's 13 inch and not 11. I found 11 to be too small and I might as well be using an iPad at that size.

Awesome! This was really helpful. I was definitely wanting the 13". My current laptop is 17" and it's way too big and too heavy, so now I feel like the lighter it is the better [emoji2]

personally i do love Apple computers, as i have a laptop of my own. However as weird as this sounds, Apple sucks if you want to play any form of realistic high graphic quality game. I have both simcity and Cities skyline and the graphics are horrible simply because my Apple laptop cant handle it. Games are playable if your willing to sacrifice having low graphic quality, which sucks. But apple also is really good at preventing any form of malware or virus attack, ive owned this computer since 2008/2009 and have never encountered any form of virus meltdown, compared to what a PC typically get.
Overall i plan on updating my computer in the next few years, and ill probably go back to having a PC.

I may be wrong but Apple's OS is built off of Unix, which is one of the most secure systems. But it doesn't mean Mac's can't get malware, they definitely can. As the number of Mac users increase, I think you'll see more Mac malware. At first PC's users outnumber windows by a bajillion. Why would people make malware for the minority? It was a waste of time. Now though, the gap is slowly but surely closing and I think its only a matter of time before you start to see more malware on macs. I think the same will happen for iOS too. With the explosion of iPhones and iPads and portable devices, I think it's only a matter of time.

I have a "gaming" PC for myself but it's because I need the high power and graphics for my design programs. It works just fine. I also cannot justify buying a Mac computer for the amount they sell it for. They are absolutely gorgeous products and the user interface is beautiful, but the money. I can't.

I may be wrong but Apple's OS is built off of Unix, which is one of the most secure systems. But it doesn't mean Mac's can't get malware, they definitely can. As the number of Mac users increase, I think you'll see more Mac malware. At first PC's users outnumber windows by a bajillion. Why would people make malware for the minority? It was a waste of time. Now though, the gap is slowly but surely closing and I think its only a matter of time before you start to see more malware on macs. I think the same will happen for iOS too. With the explosion of iPhones and iPads and portable devices, I think it's only a matter of time.

I have a "gaming" PC for myself but it's because I need the high power and graphics for my design programs. It works just fine. I also cannot justify buying a Mac computer for the amount they sell it for. They are absolutely gorgeous products and the user interface is beautiful, but the money. I can't.

I bought a Macbook Pro in 2010 for around $1000 and got $450 for it in 2014. It was in great condition and still worked fine, but it was the base model and I'm a programmer and was starting grad school so I wanted a beefier one. I spent $2k on my current one :eek:. I was pumped I was able to get $450 for my old one though. They have fantastic resale value and I don't think I'll ever go back to a windows laptop. But yeah, if your budget is tight, I wouldn't recommend it.

I bought a Macbook Pro in 2010 for around $1000 and got $450 for it in 2014. It was in great condition and still worked fine, but it was the base model and I'm a programmer and was starting grad school so I wanted a beefier one. I spent $2k on my current one :eek:. I was pumped I was able to get $450 for my old one though. They have fantastic resale value and I don't think I'll ever go back to a windows laptop. But yeah, if your budget is tight, I wouldn't recommend it.

Their resale value is pretty great, I will say that. We got brand new iMacs at work two weeks ago and I voiced that if they were looking for ways to get rid of the old ones, I would be open to buying the one that was on my desk from them. It was from 2009 and still worked pretty well. I saw some from 2009 that were going for like $500-$700 online and was very surprised to see that price. Unfortunately they thought letting them sit in a closet was a better use of the perfectly functioning iMacs :/ my poor baby

Ok so I want to buy a Mac but I'm not sure which is better. I'm looking at the 13" MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro. I've had my current laptop for four years and haven't used the disc drive in the last two so that isn't an issue for me. However, I'll hopefully be attending grad school in the fall so I need something that's going to hold up well for the next 5-6 years. Any suggestions?

I currently have an air, and most of the people i know have a pro, but they all have the 15inch one because theyre graphic designers. Mine works just fine for what I do, which is basically school work and the internet. I have Sims downloaded and it does make the fan run, but only when I'm playing the game.

My college freshman replaced her MacBook Pro with a newer one rather than the Air before she left last summer. If I remember correctly, it had a faster processor and more storage than the Air. She had her old one for 5 years before that.

So uh, not sure if anyone's seen the news but we had a special visitor at my job today. I work at a high school in New Hampshire where primary voting was going on and this was our special friend who strolled in to cast his vote (while disrupting all my classes and attacking some cops)
6e7913f56d52535ac1b945d1b41fee32.jpg

32435bd0634b91bf752b2f1c00771ca4.jpg

#pelhampig was soon trending on Twitter and now it's made the national and local news. Gotta love NH!

So uh, not sure if anyone's seen the news but we had a special visitor at my job today. I work at a high school in New Hampshire where primary voting was going on and this was our special friend who strolled in to cast his vote (while disrupting all my classes and attacking some cops)

#pelhampig was soon trending on Twitter and now it's made the national and local news. Gotta love NH!

so many political jokes to be made :D

Mainly I'm distracted by the fact that the snow and the ice on the ground are exactly what I need here in SC to keep me out of work for like 3 days.

But y'all are out going to school and voting and living life and what not [emoji53]

Mainly I'm distracted by the fact that the snow and the ice on the ground are exactly what I need here in SC to keep me out of work for like 3 days.

But y'all are out going to school and voting and living life and what not [emoji53]

lol my school district did not have school Friday or Monday. Parents were flipping out and blowing up social media because there was "no reason" to cancel school since it didn't start to snow until about 9am and there was only about a couple of inches of snow by the time school let out. College CP called me today and was witching about how cold it was at school and she didn't want to go across the street to get lunch. Y'all have corrupted her :D:p

lol my school district did not have school Friday or Monday. Parents were flipping out and blowing up social media because there was "no reason" to cancel school since it didn't start to snow until about 9am and there was only about a couple of inches of snow by the time school let out. College CP called me today and was witching about how cold it was at school and she didn't want to go across the street to get lunch. Y'all have corrupted her :D:p

I mean it was very cold today....and as I was walking though a parking lot I actually thought " I can't believe this s---t is normal some places"

Fingers crossed for inclement weather on Monday

We got out today for easily under a half of an inch. The roads weren't treated because it wasn't going to hit here.

But the world looked so quiet and peaceful on Friday...
a5ee4be825845f7e7dc0abfd875ba337.jpg

How could anyone be mad when you get to live out your dreams of spending the day in Narnia? Cmon parents[emoji14]

Back