OT New Random Thread Pt. 3

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
We took the government test in 9th grade but we take government/economics early. I know we went to Jeff city and toured the capital at some point, and in 9th grade we went to the White House decision center but that was about WWII not Missouri. I definitely don't think they were ever like "This year we're talking about Missouri," it was just kind of thrown in there here and there - definitely never in HS though. We take government, World, US, and then our choice of social studies our senior year (AP psych for me :oops: )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think ours was American History freshman year, World History sophomore year, Government/Economics junior year. We didn't have to take a social studies class senior year but I took contemporary issues (I think that was what it was called) which was a really neat class. It was heavily influenced by philosophy.

And we never really focused on Missouri in high school either! Just in elementary school and possibly in junior high.

Do other states have history classes dedicated to the state you're in? Like here we have Texas history....just wondering if there's like California history or South Carolina history.
In Maryland all my fourth grade history was about our state and the Chesapeake Bay we took a field trip to Annapolis and visited all the government buildings

Do other states have history classes dedicated to the state you're in? Like here we have Texas history....just wondering if there's like California history or South Carolina history.

No, not really, but then again learning about the Revolutionary War is pretty much Massachusetts history, so I guess we don't need it.

In Elem School they do a unit on Florida History and the 4th graders take a field trip to St. Augustine, Florida for the day. They visit the Fort there and the Oldest School House, and get a History lesson about Florida and Ponce de Leon. I went on the field trip many years ago :)
I know this has nothing to do with history and it's been a long time since I was in middle school. But do they still do the mud walk out in Seminole county somewhere...
I do remember the st Augustine field trip though.

I don't think I had a specific NJ history class? When we were talking about specific wars, if a battle took place in NJ we spent a little more time on it but that was about it. When we learned about Christopher Columbus/the native people, we did spend an extensive amount of time on the Lenni Lenape Indians (the native NJ tribe) and we had a field trip to the Lenape village and they taught us how to build their wigwams and long houses and made totem poles while we were there. that's all I remember.

I know the storm in NYC is kind of a dud, but we're getting blasted here!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422382120.196801.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422382129.166061.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422382138.535527.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422382150.492186.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422382167.968906.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422382211.190803.jpg

I ended up finding Vanish in a bar form. Would that still work?
Hoyle although I wouldn't like to say for certain. I'd scrub the bar on the wet stain and leave it to work it's way into the material, then repeat ever hour or so. Then I'd wash it. Do you have any hand sanitiser? That's supposed to work well.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Well, we do have the best....actually, NYC bagels and pizza are better. Much better water.
I am not a native Long Islander and have exit plans already in place. :p

I won't argue with you on the bagels! The pizza on the other hand...... I've found my favorite pizza elsewhere and I'm sticking with it :p

I live about an hour north of Albany and have always considered this area upstate NY. I thought Buffalo was Western NY. It's interesting to hear everyone's different perspectives.

We took the government test in 9th grade but we take government/economics early. I know we went to Jeff city and toured the capital at some point, and in 9th grade we went to the White House decision center but that was about WWII not Missouri. I definitely don't think they were ever like "This year we're talking about Missouri," it was just kind of thrown in there here and there - definitely never in HS though. We take government, World, US, and then our choice of social studies our senior year (AP psych for me :oops: )

In NC (or just my county), they've changed the curriculum starting with my class. You take World in 9th, Civics & Economics in 10th, then American 1 in 11th, and American 2 in 12th. If you take APUSH (like I am currently), you don't have to take either american histories but you have to take another social studies course as well (AP Psych for me, also this year)

History of NY is usually in 4th and 5th grade.
I don't remember when my kids learned state history. When son was in 4th grade we lived in Florida, I remember a Florida state history unit and having to build a longhouse and native American village. My cp was in 4th grade when we moved back up to NY, I remember a big presentation on a state selected, by her, in 5th. (She chose TN, probably because of Taylor Swift).
When I was in elementary school I remember a unit on Long Island history and writing a report on the state of NY. I distinctly remember drawing a picture of the state flag. I also remember my major take away being they grew alot of corn on long island .

Back