All-Star New Uniforms 2016-2017 Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This isn't really in regards to any specific uniform, but I was in forever 21 the other day and meant to post here that they have A LOT of strappy/weird backed "sports" bras that could be a tiny bit helpful with some of the crazy unis. Obviously they are all "low impact" and not really well suited for cheer... but if I were a self-conscious teenager again, I'd want SOMETHING under my uniform versus nothing or versus that painful plastic crap. Also, they're all under $15 so, worth experimenting with.

Low Impact – Stripe Sports Bra | Forever 21 - 2000181809
00181809-03.jpg

Maybeeeee works with Apple Rays? High Impact - Mesh Sports Bra | Forever 21 - 2000203668
00203668-01.jpg

Maybeeeee works for Orange Rays? Low Impact - One-Shoulder Sports Bra | Forever 21 - 2000179547
00179547-01.jpg
Better than nothing! I can see these working for smaller girls. ....The one for Apple, may work, but I believe the apple is mesh.

I've always wondered how well these worked:

Buband-631x420.png

Buband – an athletic band to prevent breast bounce

They're supposed to help with the bounce and keeping the ladies in place. Apparently they are popular amongst runners(??? I think I read this somewhere, don't quote me on this). They aren't the most fashionable articles of clothing but they could be a great not just for cheer, but for general workouts. As long as the uniform top has somewhat of a back, the band could be hidden. It'd work with tops that hand crazy shoulder cut outs.

I guess my only worry for cheer is how well would this stay in place while you tumble. I wonder, if they had (or you made) a part that attaches to the back and then runs across the under part of your breasts (where a sports bra ends), it would, in theory, stop it from slipping up.

ETA: Typos galore omg

Last edited:
Cheer is emulating much of what has been out in the dance world for a while.
leotards.jpg

mt9892.jpg
I think you are right, but I also think the inherent differences between cheer and dance are not being considered when making that move.

My CP is a dancer and wears stuff like this to perform. We do all kinds of clear strapped contraptions to accommodate costumes. I don't love it, but I do think it is a different situation all together from wearing things like this to cheer. CP might throw one handspring or other acrobatic skill in a 2:30 dance routine, and while there is some jumping the intensity of those forces are vastly different than a 2:30 cheer routine. Plus, they don't wear costumes all day. They put them on, dance, and take them off. Most of the time they don't even warm up in costume, because they are too fragile. They immediately switch to warmups after they are done. At cheer comps, she is in her uniform from warmups to awards, and when she is on 2 teams that is often 8 or more hours. They certainly don't rehearse in something like this without undergarments. CP wears a sports bra with open back leos to class all the time.

Cheer is emulating much of what has been out in the dance world for a while.
leotards.jpg

mt9892.jpg
Very true, but cheer and dance are also very different. While cheer has many dance elements, and dance is athletic and requires a lot of stamina and technique, I don't see dance having the same pounding effect that cheer does. Personally, my chest took the biggest beating when basing/backspotting. I have very small boobs, but if they weren't tied down with a supportive sports bra, the impact would have been far worse. I sometimes wonder if my boobs literally never grew because of the amount of basing I did. (I'm a 32 AA/A) While dancers have leaps and turns, cheerleaders have flips and jumps to flips which I think would put far more strain on the chest. Note- I have not done competitive dance, so I can only say from what I would assume.

@cheer25mom and @Beans100 I don't disagree. I just stated that this style has been around in the dance world for awhile, which is why these strappy "sports" bras exist to answer Beans100 question above.

I do believe there is a struggle, so to speak, going on behind doors as to which way AS cheer is headed. I tend to prefer a more collegiate AS style (execution and uniform) but, the hair, make up, uniforms, and creativity are strong indicators that it is headed more towards the dance industry. Those gyms that tried to stay in the more collegiate style were often referred to as "boring" or "dry toast" on the boards but, they were reflecting the score sheet. As the score sheet and AS evolves, those gyms, like everyone else, will adapt to the score sheet and judging or get left behind.

Just saw on IG that ssx are getting new unis again ?
SSX are my girls but I thought they just got that new uniform for worlds -- and I love it.
i havent seen anything about ssx getting new unis (curious, where you see this)
but i hope not, the two that they have are perfection right now (the teal and the worlds white), so id hate to see one of them go.

Very true, but cheer and dance are also very different. While cheer has many dance elements, and dance is athletic and requires a lot of stamina and technique, I don't see dance having the same pounding effect that cheer does. Personally, my chest took the biggest beating when basing/backspotting. I have very small boobs, but if they weren't tied down with a supportive sports bra, the impact would have been far worse. I sometimes wonder if my boobs literally never grew because of the amount of basing I did. (I'm a 32 AA/A) While dancers have leaps and turns, cheerleaders have flips and jumps to flips which I think would put far more strain on the chest. Note- I have not done competitive dance, so I can only say from what I would assume.

If we're talking about the All-Star Equivalent of cheerleading, your boobs take a beating especially in the Pom category. Every hit is hard and there is tumbling. It's no where near what a level 5 athlete does, but aerials, lifts...etc are all part of the AS Dance world. I did Pom and I'm not small chested---without the right bra, it hurt a lot.

If we're talking about the All-Star Equivalent of cheerleading, your boobs take a beating especially in the Pom category. Every hit is hard and there is tumbling. It's no where near what a level 5 athlete does, but aerials, lifts...etc are all part of the AS Dance world. I did Pom and I'm not small chested---without the right bra, it hurt a lot.
I don't see nearly as many open back, shoulder,ect uniforms for pom as for things like jazz and contemporary.

@cheer25mom and @Beans100 I don't disagree. I just stated that this style has been around in the dance world for awhile, which is why these strappy "sports" bras exist to answer Beans100 question above.

I do believe there is a struggle, so to speak, going on behind doors as to which way AS cheer is headed. I tend to prefer a more collegiate AS style (execution and uniform) but, the hair, make up, uniforms, and creativity are strong indicators that it is headed more towards the dance industry. Those gyms that tried to stay in the more collegiate style were often referred to as "boring" or "dry toast" on the boards but, they were reflecting the score sheet. As the score sheet and AS evolves, those gyms, like everyone else, will adapt to the score sheet and judging or get left behind.

I think you're right. But I also think athletes and parents shouldn't have to blindly follow where "the industry" is taking us regarding uniforms. If some parents & athletes started demanding bra friendly uniforms and/or maybe switched to gyms that promised that, then there could be a "bra revolution" and gym owners & designers would have to listen.

Not saying it will happen but it could. (I hope so.) :)

i havent seen anything about ssx getting new unis (curious, where you see this)
but i hope not, the two that they have are perfection right now (the teal and the worlds white), so id hate to see one of them go.
I cant upload the screenshot right now but it says "SSX's new unis make me soo excited to get IAGX's new uni's"
But now that I am typing it out it actually might mean that Cougars are getting new uniforms and she is just excited because SSX's uni

Back