All-Star November 2016 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's a very silly catch-all rule. A coach or governing body shouldn't be able to overrule a doctor. I get that USASF has safety rules (although let's be real, they let teams compete on a soaking floor), but if a doctor clears an athlete to perform, then that should be the ruling.
Many doctors have no clue what is involved in competitive cheer and would clear athletes thinking they are doing sideline cheer type activities.

Know of one Emergency Room Doctor that cleared a child for a concussion because she didn't have a headache. She had all of the other symptoms; blurred vision, memory loss, impaired balance, etc. Fortunately, parents followed up with another Doctor, who did not clear her.

Many doctors have no clue what is involved in competitive cheer and would clear athletes thinking they are doing sideline cheer type activities.
Well I gotta disagree with you there. Sports physicians and orthopedists are trained to recognize different levels of activity in different sports, which is why they question specifically what an activity involves before clearing you.

Lol, if only. I can't even count the times I've seen the opposite, way too many.
Let me rephrase. Good doctors and orthopedists are trained to recognize activity levels and work accordingly. It's literally part of their specialty training in sports medicine.

There's a reason why many governing bodies of sports tend to have rules whereby coaches can't overrule doctors. We just have to trust that doctors are good enough to warrant that power.

Let me rephrase. Good doctors and orthopedists are trained to recognize activity levels and work accordingly. It's literally part of their specialty training in sports medicine.

There's a reason why many governing bodies of sports tend to have rules whereby coaches can't overrule doctors. We just have to trust that doctors are good enough to warrant that power.
It's not always the doctors though. I've had a few patients that were cheerleaders that come in and tell me that they've been cleared to go back from their ortho, who I believe are amazing at what they do. I've questioned and called the doc to find out that the athlete or the parents had told them differently. I don't think it would be too uncommon for people to use the fact that most ortho's don't know what is involved in Allstar cheer to get back faster than they are ready.

I don't completely disagree with you, it's just not always that black and white in my personal experience.

There's also the danger to other people on the mat to consider. I wouldn't foresee much of a problem with a boot but last season there was a flyer in the air with a cast. If she came down wrong that could hurt her bases.

the only way for a physician to make a true assessment would be to watch a video of what the allstar athlete does. perhaps gyms should only accept clearances from physicians who have actually made a visual inspection of the athlete's activity. some physicians may recant their decision if they saw some 100 lb flyer falling down onto their patient from 15 ft in the air. ;)

i like cali coeds routine, but i hope they make changes throughout the season, its not doing anything for me. Im a brandon fan till i die, but smoed looks good.

wow! totally impressed with smoed & cheersport great white!
can only imagine what they're gonna look like as the season goes on!
amazing job for so early in the season!

Back