All-Star Practice Wear: Is It Necessary?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our coaches prefer everyone to be dressed the same so they can see the issues easily instead of their eye being distracted by one kid in hot pink and 5 in black and 1 in green etc…. Mistakes stand out more. From a mom perspective I like it for 2 reasons. 1) practice is about getting better and focusing on the team dress well look good do good as a unit. I am not talking expensive. My kids wear a tank top from Target, shorts from Walmart, and compression shorts and a sports bra from Khol's and a bow and their hair up - they are dressed to work and focus. Private and tumble classes that is the time to dress and an individual 2) I have found on the times when a coach has said wear whatever my kids will pull out a tank they wear for school or some version of something do a half way job on getting their hair up and I am spending much more time getting after them to at least be dressed correctly for a team practice (okay so this scenario happened yesterday and their was door slamming and I am still a bit po'd at my CP and her attitude - and yes there were consequences no Glenda the Good that day)

Yes.

Practice wear is important but there ARE ways to keep costs down for parents.

Example: Everything need not be a blinged out custom extravaganza with your name on the back. Or some sublimated Illusive Apparel awesomeness.

A simple black sports bra is fine. Really.

My uni team has a practice kit of blue sofee shorts and a white tee cost us £15 and it means when we do performances and people whp arent on comp squad can all look the same

This might sound strange, but when my high school team had practice wear, I felt like we performed better and more professionally. I guess it gave us a sense of unity that we wouldn't have had all wearing different, normal clothes.
I wish our AllStar teams could have it, if only for that reason, but the majority of parents don't want to pay for it. (Of course, those parents are the ones whose kids have new nike pros every week but I mean whatever.)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Doesn't sound strange at all, the research in the psychological and student achievement impact of school uniforms basically puts academic research behind the concept you threw out here. Uniform dress makes a difference.

Our practice wear isn't in yet so we are required to wear black spandex and a black sports bra, whatever bow we want. The practice wear coming in is a few sports bras that have our gym name or something like that on it, some spandex, and we get tshirts and bows throughout the year.

wow its seems that it getting too crazy with the amount of "practice" wear. I can see wanting something cute and new for worlds or NCA, since its a big comp where everyone wants to see your practice. But for behind closed doors practices I don't see the need for all these fancy probably expensive practice outfits.

At the end of our season, I had a friend approach me with suggestions on teams in her area (we live about 2 hours apart) and when I told her about one team in STL she said she was taking her DD there for tumbling already (Tiny's age) and she was a little scared to get into the world of AS Cheer because everytime she walked into the gym those girls were 'dressed to the 9's'. Her words not mine...so I definitely think they LOOK better. And I think the impression that they give is a positive, well put together team, so I'm for them personally.

At the end of our season, I had a friend approach me with suggestions on teams in her area (we live about 2 hours apart) and when I told her about one team in STL she said she was taking her DD there for tumbling already (Tiny's age) and she was a little scared to get into the world of AS Cheer because everytime she walked into the gym those girls were 'dressed to the 9's'. Her words not mine...so I definitely think they LOOK better. And I think the impression that they give is a positive, well put together team, so I'm for them personally.
I laughed at dressed to the nine. I do agree that having everyone wear the same practices wear makes the team look unified. Fancy or flashy is a bit too much

What are people's opinions on sports bras vs. tank tops? I love the way sports bras look (though I'm not a fan of them on Juniors and Younger), but too many teams order bras that are too small and don't cover enough of the chest. I personally love Smoed's bras for this reason (although Nike is WAY too expensive).

Our gym orders two sportsbras, two pairs of spandex and two tops (one tank top and one t-shirt). Of you get hot during practice you can take off your shirt and have a team sportsbra underneath. I like this concept because it kept us cool and comfortable, but we looked uniform at the same time.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

What are people's opinions on sports bras vs. tank tops? I love the way sports bras look (though I'm not a fan of them on Juniors and Younger), but too many teams order bras that are too small and don't cover enough of the chest. I personally love Smoed's bras for this reason (although Nike is WAY too expensive).
prefer tanks because some people arent comfortable with their bodies and a sports bra shows to much skins a tank fit well enough not to interfere with practice and cover the tummy so everyone is not self consious

Back