All-Star Privates

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 29, 2014
Hi guys! I'm curious on how often everyone does private lessons. Also if you don't mind me asking, how much are they per hour? Lastly i'm wondering what your privates consist of. I've heard sometimes tumbling privates are mainly conditioning. Thanks for helping!!

I don't think there is a blanket answer for that. It depends on the gym/coach. My cp has done private lessons with several coaches at our gym and each has a different style. She doesn't have a set schedule. We schedule when one of her team coaches recommends it for a specific skill, or if she needs a little more one-on-one to gain a new skill. I would say that it just depends on what you need.
Pricing is also different from one coach to the next, IME. The tumbling privates that she has done were not mostly conditioning...they were mostly/only tumbling.

I don't think there is a blanket answer for that. It depends on the gym/coach. My cp has done private lessons with several coaches at our gym and each has a different style. She doesn't have a set schedule. We schedule when one of her team coaches recommends it for a specific skill, or if she needs a little more one-on-one to gain a new skill. I would say that it just depends on what you need.
Pricing is also different from one coach to the next, IME. The tumbling privates that she has done were not mostly conditioning...they were mostly/only tumbling.
Thank you! I'm trying to see how different gyms all do things. I was also curious if the price changed depending on the coach, so that's very interesting. I'm glad to see it's not something everyone does 5x a week, because that's what it seemed like. Nice to know :chestbump:

Haha. There are definitely those who do 5 days per week. My cp would love that...my bank account would not.
She does take a tumbling class once a week for an hour. One of the coaches she used to take privates with told her last week that he felt like she should have one of her tumbling skills by now and he recommended she schedule a private, so we will.
I do take her for once a week privates after NCA and before tryouts so that she has an opportunity to fine tune her skills.

My daughters gym charges a dollar per minute for privates. We generally use privates for working on new skills and working through mental blocks when she has those .

My CP takes a weekly tumbling private at her old gymnastics gym. They charge me $35 for a half hour or $65 for an hour. This is for one of the top coaches (years and years of experience w/ high level skills) they have - the less experienced coaches are only $25/$50, and some mid-level ones are $30/$60.

The less experienced ones are not able to work on things like fulls w/ her so she can't use them...but they are definitely fine (and more cost effective) for kids just working on back handsprings and walkovers.

Haha. There are definitely those who do 5 days per week. My cp would love that...my bank account would not.
She does take a tumbling class once a week for an hour. One of the coaches she used to take privates with told her last week that he felt like she should have one of her tumbling skills by now and he recommended she schedule a private, so we will.
I do take her for once a week privates after NCA and before tryouts so that she has an opportunity to fine tune her skills.
That sounds perfect! But yes my mom would most certainly not go for the whole five privates a week thing. If your avi is your CP, how do you do stunting privates? I asked my coach and he said I can schedule a half hour with one of my coaches, and a half hour with another and they will both base me for the hour. Thinking about it though, where would the backspot come in? Or do you get taught not to have one? I'm a flyer but I've never flown without a backspot :eek:

Yes, that is her. :)
When she has done flying privates, she does a half hour. She has done privates and semi-privates (one other flyer sharing private...lower price). We pay the coach and he has a helper (usually a worlds team athlete) that he pays. No backspot...but she is pretty tiny and the coaches aren't, so she hasn't needed one.

Yes, that is her. :)
When she has done flying privates, she does a half hour. She has done privates and semi-privates (one other flyer sharing private...lower price). We pay the coach and he has a helper (usually a worlds team athlete) that he pays. No backspot...but she is pretty tiny and the coaches aren't, so she hasn't needed one.
One of my coaches mainly deals with level 5 athletes (not quite sure of his past teams) and the other was on Coed for 8 years I believe. So i'm sure they would be amazing bases! I guess it would benefit me to learn without a backspot. Just worried since the most I've done is extensions haha. What level is she?

5 privates a week! Wow. If people do that, they must be really into it - at the rate I pay, and assuming its just a half hour each lesson, that would result in a cost of $750 per month just for privates! These people realize this isn't the Olympics, right? - haha!

I've just never heard of people doing privates 5 times a week, and I've known some really "private-crazed" parents over the years ;).

CP does one tumbling private and one stunting private each week. Both are for thirty minutes and neither are "private" - there can be up to 4 athletes in each private lesson. In the stunt private, when she isn't flying then she is stretching or working on body positions. The tumbling private is all tumbling unless she only rebounds instead of tucks, then she has to do crunches:p

5 privates a week! Wow. If people do that, they must be really into it - at the rate I pay, and assuming its just a half hour each lesson, that would result in a cost of $750 per month just for privates! These people realize this isn't the Olympics, right? - haha!

I've just never heard of people doing privates 5 times a week, and I've known some really "private-crazed" parents over the years ;).
There was a kid at our first gym who was in there probably that often. The sad thing is that it was truly not resulting in any rapid increase in skill level, and rather than the coach telling the mom she was freaking nuts and to stop the insanity, he was perfectly happy to take her money while joking about how she was paying his rent. Mom also did not have a high paying job (she was basically a minimum wage employee) which made this whole scenario even less amusing to me.

I couldn't imagine spending an extra $750 a month on just privates......& if they do hour privates,that's $1500 extra a month on just private lessons! There is so much you could do with $750/$1500 a month!

CP does one tumbling private and one stunting private each week. Both are for thirty minutes and neither are "private" - there can be up to 4 athletes in each private lesson. In the stunt private, when she isn't flying then she is stretching or working on body positions. The tumbling private is all tumbling unless she only rebounds instead of tucks, then she has to do crunches:p

Crunches aren't even "good" punishment. After a while, need something that works out other muscles that CP reallllllyyyyyyyy doesn't like to break habits!

Back