All-Star Proactive Or Reactive With School Missed For Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't know why anyone would miss class in college other than being deathly ill. You are paying for it, why wouldn't you attend every class?

I never missed a class in undergrad. My first semester of grad school, one of my professors divided out what we were paying per minute to sit there (don't ever do that if you don't want to cry, especially with grad school tuition.) and then in a later semester said professor was late to his own class and we sent him a fake bill for all of those lost minutes x40 people in the class lol

Our school policy is that you are not allowed to miss more than 15% of a class - depending on how many credits each class is and if there is a lab, the actual # of hours/classes varies. and while you can miss that much without failing, the school also has a strict policy on professionalism and if you are late or miss more than one or two they dock you professionalism points at the professors discretion. professionalism points are basically our built in curve for each class. we don't get exam curves, but you get 5 points for being there on time so they'll bump you up if you're borderline between grades.

Maybe it was just me then. I pretty much always went to class. It's the same advice I'm giving former-cp for her upcoming college years. Don't skip class, sit in the first 5 rows, and make sure you go to office hours every once in a while even if you don't need to so that the professor knows who you are.
No not just you. My room mates never missed class and I hope my kids don't take after me.

I only skipped one class regularly and that was Physics 2. I probably only went to like 4 or 5 classes that semester and it was 3 times a week. My professor was foreign and I couldn't understand a word he said so I decided to pretty much just teach myself. I got a B so it all worked out haha.

I never missed a class in undergrad. My first semester of grad school, one of my professors divided out what we were paying per minute to sit there (don't ever do that if you don't want to cry, especially with grad school tuition.) and then in a later semester said professor was late to his own class and we sent him a fake bill for all of those lost minutes x40 people in the class lol

Our school policy is that you are not allowed to miss more than 15% of a class - depending on how many credits each class is and if there is a lab, the actual # of hours/classes varies. and while you can miss that much without failing, the school also has a strict policy on professionalism and if you are late or miss more than one or two they dock you professionalism points at the professors discretion. professionalism points are basically our built in curve for each class. we don't get exam curves, but you get 5 points for being there on time so they'll bump you up if you're borderline between grades.

My yoga professor would bring up what college cost per hour on the daily. Especially since yoga was such an easy class for people to skip. Our school was a public state school (I'm sure you're familiar with the SUNY schools :p ) so I could not imagine what private or out of state students are paying.

There's only one class I can remember skipping enough to actually bring down my grade. It was one of my studio art classes and I hated it so much. The teacher, the material, the assignments, the class structure, everything. And it was right after another studio art class which is an awful thing to schedule for yourself. It was a 2 hour 8am and then a 2 hour 10am. I was still the only one who turned in their assignments on time and consistently got the highest grades on our projects (as a whole, art students are the worst students in the world. I swear to god there is no other major that come close. I could write an entire book on why that is. Art professors put up with too much sh!t.) Looking back now though I should've just sucked it up and went and stopped being a baby lol. All my other classes I attended regularly.

Maybe it's just me and maybe it's because my parents had a nazi-like attitude about school attendance (like to the 10th degree) that is now ingrained deeply in me, but unless missing school is absolutely, positively, has-a-legit-reason-to-not-be-there unavoidable, I don't really accept excuses for people missing school. I don't know, I'm a stickler about commitment to anything you're involved in - whether it's easy for you or not or whether you want to be there or not. And I'm specifically a stickler when it comes to education because education is literally life. Ok I'm done.

Maybe it was just me then. I pretty much always went to class. It's the same advice I'm giving former-cp for her upcoming college years. Don't skip class, sit in the first 5 rows, and make sure you go to office hours every once in a while even if you don't need to so that the professor knows who you are.

I agree! I think that is definitely the mindset one should have with college. However, the class I skipped (which was like 2 times) it got to the point where I actually did other classes homework during that lesson. Worst class I've ever taken. Still got an A, so I never let it go out on my grades. Calculated skipping haha. :p

Most of my classes only have four or five rows :oops:
Actually I don't think of of them have had more than five.

Most of my classes only have four or five rows :oops:
Actually I don't think of of them have had more than five.
Intro classes in huge lecture halls had 500 students. There have been studies done on the % of students sitting in the "t-zone" (think first 5-10 rows and then the center moving up and toward back like the letter T) who get grades within the A range and it is a high percentage compared to the rest of such a large class.

Intro classes in huge lecture halls had 500 students. There have been studies done on the % of students sitting in the "t-zone" (think first 5-10 rows and then the center moving up and toward back like the letter T) who get grades within the A range and it is a high percentage compared to the rest of such a large class.
I guess thats one of the perks of a small school. My largest class has been 30 students and that was a gen ed class. My major classes are all 20 and under majority of the time.

Senior year of high school i had the most away competitions. I missed to much school that I had to sit in detention at the end of the year even though my gym wrote letters to people's schools upon request. Looking back on it the detention was worth those amazing memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess thats one of the perks of a small school. My largest class has been 30 students and that was a gen ed class. My major classes are all 20 and under majority of the time.
That's crazy... I had classes in high school of 80 people!

I know online schooling and/or homeschooling doesn't work for everyone, but if you/your child is constantly going over or almost going over the allowed missed days, it may be time to look into alternative schooling. My cp has sickle cell, along with having that, during her school years, she was also a allstar cheerleader, a competitive dancer and a pageant girl. While missing school for competitions was low on the reasons list why we did online schooling for her, it was one of the reasons. She was a good student with good grades and was always in jeopardy for failing due to missed days;we decided to stop running the risk of her not passing and graduating high school and just start homeschooling. We used a online program thru our district, that was the same classes with the same books and all as the virtual school and due to her 504 plan she was allowed to into classes on days that she felt well, join school clubs, participate in school activities and walked across the stage with her class, we just didn't have to worry about missed days & school was done any and everywhere.

I know some don't like and/or can't do homeschool, but if your child is missing the allotted amount of days, I definitely look into it. Homeschooling has advanced with the time;we went thru our district,my cp was registered under the school she went to before switching to online school, we used the district's books, teachers, lesson plans, classes and all....and I never once had to grade a test paper. :D

Last edited:
I think being proactive is the best approach. My kids are younger so it's not as big of a deal, but CP and non-CP will have to miss some time this year because of a dance competition and potentially one of CP's cheer comps. I plan on telling their teacher's ahead of time.

I missed a lot of school in high school between band and dance, and honestly, I wouldn't have traded those memories in for anything. Yes, education is important, but you can do it all and still maintain a solid GPA and not screw yourself for college. It's all about having the right balance.

I'm from BC, Canada, and I've never had any kind of limit on my absences or penalties due to my absences. I just finished my grade 12/senior year of high school with 21 absences, 10 of which were in April because of Worlds and Summit. I let my teachers know well in advance if I was going to miss school for competitions, and they always worked with me to come up with a plan to hand in assignments and write tests that I would be missing. Although this was a sort of inconvenience, I still managed to hand all of my assignments in and write tests when they wanted me to, and I maintained high As in all 5 of my courses (95%+ final mark). I guess I was lucky to receive my education in a seemingly more laid back environment!

School is so different in the US from the UK. We don't have a mandatory attendance 'allowance' but most State school want your attendance to be at or above national average of 95%. So that means you could have half a day off every week and still be ok, in reality it's very dependant on each individual school. The schools' attendance forms part of the evil OFSTED inspection judgement so most schools want it to be better than national average. In reality this can't happen due to basic maths, but try telling that to our idiotic education minister!!! (That's a whole other rant!)

I work in a tough inner city school and our attendance is 92% across the school, OFSTED heavily criticised us about it so our attendance team all got sacked-no joke! Blame the attendance team for parents blatant disregard for education why don't you. The excuses I hear on a daily basis from parents are enough to spin your head 360. I have one girl on 62% who misses for the slightest thing-a blocked nose caused by hay fever was last weeks excuse.

Schools can now prosecute parents for unauthorised absences but the process is arduous and very lengthy and has to be carried out by the local council. I have a really decent form class and only 2 of them ended the year on 100%, and only 7 were 95%+. In reality if you bring a note into school you're ok as long as it's not persistent absences. We also don't operate a block schedule, most schools are on a yearly 2 week timetable. In 12 years of teaching I have NEVER had a pupil come to me to ask for work as they were going to be absent from school, and that's both tough inner city schools and nice leafy suburban ones!

Universities are a different matter, mine never took attendance ever, if you weren't there then you had to catch up or fail. However it was an arty farty music degree so that might have something to do with it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back