All-Star Right Hand Right Foot Left Hand Left Foot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Im right handed and I tumble with my left foot. But i do my frontwalkover with my right foot which means I land on the wrong foot when I go into a roundoff I land on the wrong foot so I will never be able to do a front walkover through :( Also im more flexible on my right leg.

I think we might be tumbling twins. That's the exact same thing I do. And I'm more flexible on my right, not just for bows but for everything. My toe touches are slanted. Haha

I'm right handed, tumble right, twist right. My right is stronger and more flexible, so my toetouches slant too! I keep trying to stretch my left more to even it out but my left split has been at the same place for 4 years so... I don't think it's going to happen!
But in my backwalkovers I kick with my right leg (b/c it's stronger) so I can't do like a backwalkover, turn and go right into a cartwheel/roundoff I have to step. I step out with my right foot too, which gives me the same issue as my backwalkovers.

I'm right-handed and do all my tumbling left. for a long time i never realize that people tumbled different until i was at ICC and the coach asked me if i tumbled right-handed or left-handed and i was, like, "idk" and so i showed him and then after that i noticed that everyone else on my team was a righty tumbler.
It bothers me when i have a private that tumbles right because sometimes I'll go to show them things and they don't grasp it because i tumble left so then i have to switch it for them and do it righty. which is just... ugh. but at the same time it has made me better at doing some of my tumbling right-handed. not like i'll ever use that, but still. I do get confused now sometimes when i go to do things i think just because I'm used to which privates tumble which way and so when i go to show them my actual tumbling i have to think about which foot i use. lol

I find this interesting to read because i've never technically thought about it. But I am 100% a righty. I am right handed, i tumble right, i twist right, i am more flexible with my right leg (bow, my right leg hyper extends in toe touches) I snowboard right(goofy) and I cannot use my left hand/side for the life of me, its so uncoordinated and same with @Kissmynfinities I have lopsided toe touches where my left leg thinks im doing star jumps and my right leg looks like a toe touch... :rolleyes:

Although I am unable to do any gymnastics/tumbling, I could not figure out why I coudn't teach my CP (when she was 2 or 3) how to do a cartwheel. I didn't think I could explain it any easier.

It wasn't until she was 10 when I overheard, when it was her turn to tumble, the coach saying "I keep forgetting I have to get on the other side for you since you're a lefty." I told the coach she wasn't left-handed and the coach explained that she tumbled left-handed.

Now I'm right-handed (only) but CP's father is left-handed but does most things (eat, bat, ect) with his right hand.

I'm left handed, tumble right and twist right.

However, I broke my right leg at age 7 and I have vague memories that suggest I switched from being a left tumbler to a right tumbler during my recovery from the injury! (my mother never paid close enough attention for me to verify with her whether or not this is true)

I'm a righty & tumbled left (a long time ago). Lol
CP is a lefty above the waist & a righty below the waist. In tennis, softball, & basketball she's a lefty, but soccer & tumbling she's a righty.

Her full downs are to the left. Whoever taught her step outs taught her wrong so she lands on her left foot and hops onto her right. She did it that way for a year before I asked the coach why they looked so awkward. We are now in the tedious phase of "retraining" her. Ugh!

She just got her layout. Yay :) This thread has me wondering about her full - when the time comes.

How do you know which way they naturally twist when they're first learning? Is one way better or "the right way" to twist? Knowing CP, she won't speak up if she feels more comfortable twisting the other way which could mean it will take forever for her to learn the skill.

Should I say something to her coach when they tell her they want to start working on her full?

I'm a righty & tumbled left (a long time ago). Lol
CP is a lefty above the waist & a righty below the waist. In tennis, softball, & basketball she's a lefty, but soccer & tumbling she's a righty.

Her full downs are to the left. Whoever taught her step outs taught her wrong so she lands on her left foot and hops onto her right. She did it that way for a year before I asked the coach why they looked so awkward. We are now in the tedious phase of "retraining" her. Ugh!

She just got her layout. Yay :) This thread has me wondering about her full - when the time comes.

How do you know which way they naturally twist when they're first learning? Is one way better or "the right way" to twist? Knowing CP, she won't speak up if she feels more comfortable twisting the other way which could mean it will take forever for her to learn the skill.

Should I say something to her coach when they tell her they want to start working on her full?
When I started working fulls, my coaches had me just stand and jump and do a full turn on the floor and do it both ways and then whichever way felt more comfortable is how I started twisting. I'm sure there will be some way they determine which way she twists, that's just how they did it for me.

When I started working fulls, my coaches had me just stand and jump and do a full turn on the floor and do it both ways and then whichever way felt more comfortable is how I started twisting. I'm sure there will be some way they determine which way she twists, that's just how they did it for me.

I hope they do that for her too. I'll mention it to her. I'm just worried because no one bothered to see which foot she leads with when teaching her the step out & now she's mad that she has to relearn it. Lol

I hope they do that for her too. I'll mention it to her. I'm just worried because no one bothered to see which foot she leads with when teaching her the step out & now she's mad that she has to relearn it. Lol
Maybe have her try it at home so that she knows which way to go and she can tell them?

Ignorance coming out here: what do I have her do to see which way she twists naturally? Would it be the same as the full down or something different?
Just have her do this:
turning to the left or the right. Usually going one way is easy, but the other way feels weird/you can't get around/the landing is awkward.
It seems simple (and it is) but one way will be more comfortable to her. That's how I figured out which way to twist :) It might be the same way as her full down but for some people it's different. (even in this video when the girl goes the opposite way it's a little bit awkward on the landing!)

Right handed and I tumbled left. Always thought I was weird.

You are not. I am the same, right handed, tumbling left. Twisting in stunts i feel more comfortable to the left. I don't know which sock or shoe i put on first, i'll have to notice how i am doing it.

A flyer on my team is struggeling so much with twisting left. She can do a double to the right, but twisting from prep to the left was a long way and i sometimes did not know what to do with her :-D

My cp is right handed and tumbles left
;-)

Oh, and i spot only on the left side of the athlete. I can spot on the other side, but it feels weird.

A flyer on my team is struggeling so much with twisting left. She can do a double to the right, but twisting from prep to the left was a long way and i sometimes did not know what to do with her :-D
Ugh I used to base a girl who would tell us she couldn't full down because she went the "wrong" way. Her full down was beautiful it just went a different way from the others, so she refused to do it. It was SO aggravating. :mad: I was like "you're a flyer on a level 3 team, you're going to full down. Especially since you complain about having been on a level three team for the past 5 years. You should be able to do this by now" buttttt she never did. :banghead:

Back