All-Star #smoedisback Atv

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not saying this is an excuse for bad behavior just offering a different perspective:

Our generation is the first generation to grow up online. Not all parents even know how to use the internet so some kids receive absolutely no guidance from their parents on how to conduct themselves online - their parents can't teach them these things. Parents can teach their kids in how to apply for college, what to wear to job interviews, how to drive their cars because it was something they were taught before. Our generation, for the most part, was not taught how to use (and not use) the Internet because our parents couldn't teach us. Kids are teaching parents, it's the other way around. Kids, who haven't fully matured yet are making the rules. Not adults.

Social media and the Internet are evolving so quickly. Adults AND kids are both finding out how the Internet can be both good and bad. If you went back in time to the very beginnings of social media, I doubt anyone would fully grasp the idea that "what you put online is public and it is forever." But (most) adults already matured enough before entering the social media world and had already established a life (career, family, etc). They went through their "doing stupid things" stage in a world where things weren't broadcasted to the entire world.

I sometimes see the way humans use the Internet as an experiment. We all are the first round of test subjects. Experiments aren't always successful the first time around, they go through lots and lots and lots of tests to get it right. We're still in the middle of testing.

I technically fall in line with this generation though towards the top; I was born into a house with a computer because my mom was an accountant so she had to have one. It was the most basic dinosaur to ever run the Earth; but she also worked for NASA when the computer took up the entire room so it wasn't quite that bad. I was about 9 years old when dial-up internet became a thing and our family kept the new and improved family computer at the dining room table. When social media first appeared, I was in the same age group as most are when they graduate high school/enter college. Trust me, I have dumb stuff---really, really dumb pictures...and yet, they never hit MySpace or Facebook.

I didn't have a parent who grew up online (my dad had passed by this point) nor did I have one who knew how to learn the internet as fast as me. When e-mail groups were a thing before social media, forums, and message boards were still a thing. However, my point of contention with the comment I bolded is that it's an overused cop out.

Your parents may teach you how to go to a job interview and drive a car; but did they not also teach you to be a good person? To keep your clothes on unless you want someone to see you in that matter? To not do drugs? To have some semblance of privacy? I guarantee at least a few of those apply yet this generation of kids is so fast to throw their parents under the bus. I can't even type out the environment in which I grew up in because we'd have to move to 18+; it's what nightmares are made of, but that doesn't give me an excuse to act like an idiot online and call foul when something happens. Especially the younger teenagers of right now---even if you can assume their parents are still dumb (my 90+ year old grandparents not only have a computer, but have a Facebook account; as does my mother and I'm fairly certain she admins a few groups on Facebook), it is being talked about in schools. This isn't really a new issue---social media has been evolving for well over a decade and anyone can google to see real-world examples of DA people taking really dumb pictures and losing everything for it. And sometimes, it's not the picture---it's simply the status. The girl at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the lady on twitter who lost her job while she was still flying to South Africa because of an AIDS joke all come to mind.

Kids are watching, every single day, as these events happen and just because they think it can't happen to them doesn't give them a blanket excuse because mommy and daddy didn't teach them. If the past and current generations want to act so ridiculous online then they are free to do so; but blaming their parents because of it? That just doesn't work for me.

*I realize this came out with more anger than I meant and when I typed 'you' it was not actually directed at anyone in this thread; but more of a generalized group of people.*

Last edited:
I technically fall in line with this generation though towards the top; I was born into a house with a computer because my mom was an accountant so she had to have one. It was the most basic dinosaur to ever run the Earth; but she always worked for NASA when the computer took up the entire room so it wasn't quite that bad. I was about 9 years old when dial-up internet became a thing and our family kept the new and improved family computer at the dining room table. When social media first appeared, I was in the same age group as most are when they graduate high school/enter college. Trust me, I have dumb stuff---really, really dumb pictures...and yet, they never hit MySpace or Facebook.

I didn't have a parent who grew up online (my dad had passed by this point) nor did I have one who knew how to learn the internet as fast as me. When e-mail groups were a thing before social media, forums, and message boards were still a thing. However, my point of contention with the comment I bolded is that it's an overused cop out.

Your parents may teach you how to go to a job interview and drive a car; but did they not also teach you to be a good person? To keep your clothes on unless you want someone to see you in that matter? To not do drugs? To have some semblance of privacy? I guarantee at least a few of those apply yet this generation of kids is so fast to throw their parents under the bus. I can't even type out the environment in which I grew up in because we'd have to move to 18+; it's what nightmares are made of, but that doesn't give me an excuse to act like an idiot online and call foul when something happens. Especially the younger teenagers of right now---even if you can assume their parents are still dumb (my 90+ year old grandparents not only have a computer, but have a Facebook account; as does my mother and I'm fairly certain she admins a few groups on Facebook), it is being talked about in schools. This isn't really a new issue---social media has been evolving for well over a decade and anyone can google to see real-world examples of DA people taking really dumb pictures and losing everything for it. And sometimes, it's not the picture---it's simply the status. The girl at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the lady on twitter who lost her job while she was still flying to South Africa because of an AIDS joke all come to mind.

Kids are watching, every single day, as these events happen and just because they think it can't happen to them doesn't give them a blanket excuse because mommy and daddy didn't teach them. If the past and current generations want to act so ridiculous online then they are free to do so; but blaming their parents because of it? That just doesn't work for me.

*I realize this came out with more anger than I meant and when I typed 'you' it was not actually directed at anyone in this thread; but more of a generalized group of people.*

My post wasn't meant to put the blame solely on parents and I did not do so. As a generalization, yes, I do believe that the fact that this is a new frontier for everyone is partially to blame. Kids and adults alike. I was generalizing and you seemed to take it personally - obviously there are individuals who don't do that.

I guess applying to colleges, driving cars, etc was a bad comparison. You don't have to be a good person to do those things. So I would like to retract that argument. Maybe it's more like exploring a new environment with no practical knowledge of it. Which throughout history, this has never worked out...

ETA: Also, if you were 9 when dial up started getting popular, (im gonna guess around 1993ish?) that would put you around 19/20 when MySpace FIRST came out. There's a maturity different between people close to/finished with high school and kids who are in middle school.

Last edited:
My post wasn't meant to put the blame solely on parents and I did not do so. As a generalization, yes, I do believe that the fact that this is a new frontier for everyone is partially to blame. Kids and adults alike. I was generalizing and you seemed to take it personally - obviously there are individuals who don't do that.

I guess applying to colleges, driving cars, etc was a bad comparison. You don't have to be a good person to do those things. So I would like to retract that argument. Maybe it's more like exploring a new environment with no practical knowledge of it. Which throughout history, this has never worked out...

It's not so much that I took it personally, it's just an argument I see get made over and over again. But the argument doesn't hold weight---ideally, you should be the same person online as you are offline. The anonymity of the internet, in it's early stages, allowed for more of a split personality---but like we're finding with the scandals of recent, everything has the potential to come back and bite you in the booty. Nothing is truly hidden---unless you're in that one place you told me not to go that I totally went to---and if teenagers and children prefer to ignore that and the consequences of, then that to me is their fault. Unless, of course, they're under the age of 18 and then it really is up to the parents to monitor their kids online---and if they're scared about not doing an aqueduct job, then don't give them access to someone you can't do yourself.

This is just one more thing to show how the current generation acts as enablers for their kids' bad behavior rather than teaching them from the start what is and what is not acceptable.
The apple usually doesn't fall from the tree. We see still see plenty of adults making the same "mistakes" as the kids make on social media. At this point I don't think anyone can claim ignorance as an excuse for plain stupidity or perhaps lack of caring.

This is just one more thing to show how the current generation acts as enablers for their kids' bad behavior rather than teaching them from the start what is and what is not acceptable.
The apple usually doesn't fall from the tree. We see still see plenty of adults making the same "mistakes" as the kids make on social media. At this point I don't think anyone can claim ignorance as an excuse for plain stupidity or perhaps lack of caring.

:shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy::shimmy:

Ok I think we are talking about the same thing but making different points. You are talking about now, which I agree with all your points. There is no excuse for people to behave like that.

I was talking about when MySpace and Friendster and even Facebook became popular, when social media was still being established and its capabilities were being explored, but perhaps I did not make myself clear. That was the new frontier I had in mind when making my post. When social media was still brand brand new. When people made mistakes back then that have followed them to their jobs now. When 13 year olds had access and free range to the beginnings of social media. Not mistakes teenagers made 4 years ago when parents were also on Facebook and those parents knew what was happening.

This isn't really a "cop out" and I don't condone the antics that go on now but we know a lot more about social media and the repercussions of it in this present day and age than when we did 10+ years ago when it first came out. People have no excuse now but the points I was making were not about the present day.

(Just a short disclaimer for nearly all of my past, present, and future posts: my mind goes a million miles a minute in all different directions all day errday so sometimes putting the thoughts inside my head into cohesive sentences that follow a linear thought process for others is very difficult. I try my best and sometimes but I can see how the confusion might've happened.)

I wish we could go back to the day when facebook was for college aged students only... I miss those days. MySpace from what I know is basically non existent. Out of all of them, I think Twitter is the worse. I see some of the most absurd things posted on Twitter compared to any other social media outlet.
I also never had to have my parents sit me down and tell me what I should and shouldn't look at/share, I was fairly smart enough kid to figure it out on my own. Although I think the Internet has gotten a lot worse now then it was then.

Last edited:

Cough "10 year old wannabe cheerlebrity account run by mom" cough

I wish we could go back to the day when facebook was for college aged students only... I miss those days. MySpace from what I know is basically non existent. Out of all of them, I think Twitter is the worse. I see some of the most absurd things posted on Twitter compared to any other social media outlet.
I also never had to have my parents sit me down and tell me what I should and shouldn't look at/share, I was fairly smart enough kid to figure it out on my own. Although I think the Internet has gotten a lot worse now then it was then.

Tumblr; when it was the most popular, I think was the worst. I think Twitter is a close second.

And did I read the poster in this thread correctly? A mother got her kid on SMOED?

What in the what....

Tumblr; when it was the most popular, I think was the worst. I think Twitter is a close second.

And did I read the poster in this thread correctly? A mother got her kid on SMOED?

What in the what....
I think she made a tryout video for her without her knowing, is what I understand.

I think she made a tryout video for her without her knowing, is what I understand.

And then moved there with her IIRC from the episode - maybe even drug another sibling along too (that I'm less sure of). This mom gets my award for SM of the year. That is really crazy to force your child into this situation - not that the girl was forced per se, she seems okay w/ being there, but it should really be the other way around where the kid is begging to go and making and sending videos themsleves, and the parent being the one seriously questioning if it's a good idea.

And then moved there with her IIRC from the episode - maybe even drug another sibling along too (that I'm less sure of). This mom gets my award for SM of the year. That is really crazy to force your child into this situation - not that the girl was forced per se, she seems okay w/ being there, but it should really be the other way around where the kid is begging to go and making and sending videos themsleves, and the parent being the one seriously questioning if it's a good idea.

maybe the kid did beg but never thought mom would go for it? so she "surprised" her by sending in a tryout video? at least I really hope so because I cannot wrap my mind around any other possibility.

That is just...WOW!

Oh sweet lord. How old is this kid?

Back