All-Star Social Media & Underage Drinking/ Drug Use

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a parent, I would also be establishing very harsh consequences were my child to hold someone's stash!!
And yet there are those "cool" parents ;) who don't do a thing...in fact they even condone it. One year at a cheer comp a male teammate was in the room next door with his mom. The girls in our room (my daughter and two teammates all 12/13) clearly saw all the paraphernalia laid out on the dresser in the room. The Mom just smiled "kids will be kids". Sadly, my kids did not get a "cool" parent.

And yet there are those "cool" parents ;) who don't do a thing...in fact they even condone it. One year at a cheer comp a male teammate was in the room next door with his mom. The girls in our room (my daughter and two teammates all 12/13) clearly saw all the paraphernalia laid out on the dresser in the room. The Mom just smiled "kids will be kids". Sadly, my kids did not get a "cool" parent.
...Yeah, neither did I. And my future kids aren't getting one either.

It's funny, I was talking with a long-time friend (over 20 years), and I was joking that I'm the 'boring' friend because I've never done drugs or smoked a cigarette and she's like 'that's what I like about you. You've always been so refreshingly normal. It's totally not worth it.' :oops:

usually, my response would have "what does what the athletes do in their free time have to do with the gym?" but then, you have to remember that you represent your gym. and the response to that would've been "as long as they're not in gym attire, you know, anything that's affiliated with the gym, blasé blasé" and the response to that would be, social media is everything, you don't even have to have something on so little as a wrist band that has your gym colors for people to know what gym you cheer for. they'll find out from comp videos, IG/Twitter profiles, or even from pictures that other people put up. IMO, underaged people shouldn't be drinking at all, and definitely should not be doing drugs. I Strongly feel as though that should be a parental thing, not a gym thing, but once again, social media, we all know who you are, so assumptions will get drawn in like "oh coaches from Shady Athletics let their athletes do this" so, then, Shady athletics has to act upon that to protect their brand, thus resulting in being removed from a team. i have no issue with partying, but you do NOT have to be drunk or high to have a good time. If you not being able to hide what you do from social media results in being removed from a team, then so be it. when i cheered for my collegiate team, my coach said "i don't care if you take a picture and there's a beer in the other room, if i see it in the picture, the whole team has to run laps/condition" I may not have totally agreed with this, but I understand what she's saying because WE REPRESENT OUR TEAM, i don't think many athletes who get caught think like this.

I do have a question, are there any repercussions for 21+ athletes drinking at worlds?

Paraphernalia for marijuana or something stronger? Honestly, I've known a few parents who smoke up with their kids---I'm not one of those parents, but they definitely exist.

Right? Plus there are idiots who end up with decades-long sentences because they claim someone else's stash as their own to cover for them.

When I was in MS, I actually held onto a friend's pack of cigarettes because he asked me to. I handed them back to him on our walk home from school and got ticketed by an undercover cop for possession. I paid the $75 fine from my own money and that was the extent of my punishment. The irony is I don't smoke, I've never tried an illegal substance and rarely drink---but my juvenile record consists of a possession charge.

usually, my response would have "what does what the athletes do in their free time have to do with the gym?" but then, you have to remember that you represent your gym. and the response to that would've been "as long as they're not in gym attire, you know, anything that's affiliated with the gym, blasé blasé" and the response to that would be, social media is everything, you don't even have to have something on so little as a wrist band that has your gym colors for people to know what gym you cheer for. they'll find out from comp videos, IG/Twitter profiles, or even from pictures that other people put up. IMO, underaged people shouldn't be drinking at all, and definitely should not be doing drugs. I Strongly feel as though that should be a parental thing, not a gym thing, but once again, social media, we all know who you are, so assumptions will get drawn in like "oh coaches from Shady Athletics let their athletes do this" so, then, Shady athletics has to act upon that to protect their brand, thus resulting in being removed from a team. i have no issue with partying, but you do NOT have to be drunk or high to have a good time. If you not being able to hide what you do from social media results in being removed from a team, then so be it. when i cheered for my collegiate team, my coach said "i don't care if you take a picture and there's a beer in the other room, if i see it in the picture, the whole team has to run laps/condition" I may not have totally agreed with this, but I understand what she's saying because WE REPRESENT OUR TEAM, i don't think many athletes who get caught think like this.

I do have a question, are there any repercussions for 21+ athletes drinking at worlds?
I agree. But what do we define as free time? Is the night before a competition "free time"? Is the 15 minutes before practice starts
"free time"? If you don't go on until 6pm then is everything leading up to the time you take the mat or meet your team "free time"?

If we showed up chewing gum or had a mint or something we would get breathalyzed.
this sounds a little ridiculous to me. Even as a student i would be pissed if i got lumped into the category of stupid kids all because i felt like chewing a piece of gum.
i dont mind schools taking drug and alcohol problems seriously if its something thats being held on campus, but what happens outside of campus shouldnt be the schools business.
the only time i noticed in high school that they were really strict on policies was Senior prom. My date almost wasnt allowed in because he was over 21 (i was 19, he was 23 years old at the time). Their reasoning was because he was to much a risk to underage prom goers, and that i shouldnt have brought him. I almost lost my crap on a bunch of teachers that night.

a few years later the school remodeled and now it looks like a dang jail, cause they want to prevent kids from leaving the property during school hours.

this sounds a little ridiculous to me. Even as a student i would be pissed if i got lumped into the category of stupid kids all because i felt like chewing a piece of gum.
i dont mind schools taking drug and alcohol problems seriously if its something thats being held on campus, but what happens outside of campus shouldnt be the schools business.
the only time i noticed in high school that they were really strict on policies was Senior prom. My date almost wasnt allowed in because he was over 21 (i was 19, he was 23 years old at the time). Their reasoning was because he was to much a risk to underage prom goers, and that i shouldnt have brought him. I almost lost my crap on a bunch of teachers that night.

a few years later the school remodeled and now it looks like a dang jail, cause they want to prevent kids from leaving the property during school hours.
At cp's high school, your date would not have been allowed to attend. No dates over age 20, it is in the rules.

At cp's high school, your date would not have been allowed to attend. No dates over 21, it is in the rules.
from what i can remember all we had to do to bring someone that wasnt from the high school as our date was fill out a form the school gave out that had my parents signature on it.

granted this was all back in 2007, plus i went to a fairly small town high school that sat in the middle of nowhere florida.

from what i can remember all we had to do to bring someone that wasnt from the high school as our date was fill out a form the school gave out that had my parents signature on it.
We have to attend a prom meeting and students and parents need to sign the form agreeing to all the conditions before they will issue tickets. Even if your date was not from your high school they still had to attend the meeting with a parent. Some mom last year threw a hissy fit because her daughter's boyfriend was 21 and they had been dating for 3 years, but the school did not budge.

Back