All-Star Social Media & Underage Drinking/ Drug Use

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Some parents truly do not care if their kids do drugs or drink.... I know some that also purposefully look the other way. Given what tragic consequences can come of it is pretty sad to me. But it happens a lot.

And yeah, I think that gyms who want to have certain athletes do not care at all what those athletes do. And some just don't think it is their place. I don't agree, but I've definitely seen it.

Wait is it not common to get drug tested in some districts? Anyone participating in sports at my high school signed a consent form before tryouts that allowed the school to randomly drug test, as well as drug test as the school saw fit (aka if someone tipped someone off that you were doing drugs you would get tested.)

I can also tell you that I have sat across from parents who have PROOF that their child is using drugs, and are still naively trying to tell us that "it's not Suzy's, she's just keeping it for a friend."

See also:

The parents who let their kids visit college-aged friends for EDM festivals/shows/weekends and swear up and down that their child is not drinking/doing drugs.

I was not born yesterday. If you think your kids are going out to these every weekend and not drinking/doing drugs, you need to get your head out of the sand.

I can also tell you that I have sat across from parents who have PROOF that their child is using drugs, and are still naively trying to tell us that "it's not Suzy's, she's just keeping it for a friend."

See also:

The parents who let their kids visit college-aged friends for EDM festivals/shows/weekends and swear up and down that their child is not drinking/doing drugs.

I was not born yesterday. If you think your kids are going out to these every weekend and not drinking/doing drugs, you need to get your head out of the sand.

As if drug possession is not a thing in the first place... smh.

I work in a high school.

A high school in an area that is experiencing a resurgence of issues re: heroin and prescription pills.

If I were allowed to share some of what we've dealt with, I would, and folks may change minds about testing and such.
Pills are really scary to me. ( not that heroin isn't). I see such negative impacts from them, and they are so addictive, and so legitimized, and sooo dangerous!

Wait is it not common to get drug tested in some districts? Anyone participating in sports at my high school signed a consent form before tryouts that allowed the school to randomly drug test, as well as drug test as the school saw fit (aka if someone tipped someone off that you were doing drugs you would get tested.)

TBH I don't know about our area. I'm a 2004 graduate so testing and breathalyzer a were just not a thing yet.

*What did we even do before the invention of Google?*

While I'm not agains drug testing at events such as Worlds, I question what we are testing for. If we are testing for performance enhancing substances, as with the Olympics and other World Championship events, than I have no problem with random testing and/or testing of athletes on winning teams, just as with other sports, provided it is done by a reputable outside company as with other sporting federations and events.

If however, we are talking about recreational drugs and alcohol, I would argue that the responsibility for this does not fall on the shoulders of the USASF, but instead on the parents and coaches/gym owners instead. Even when the IOC finds athletes with marijuana in their system, there is nothing they can do, as was evidenced back in 1998 with Ross Rebagliati (CDN snowboarder who won gold and tested positive for MJ. As it's not on the banned substance list, he got to keep his medal). And I think it speaks to how our sport can't yet be taken seriously when high level athletes are using major competitions to get drunk and high as soon as possible. I have had teammates show up hungover to competitions on more than one occasion, and nothing made me more upset and mad than travelling for a competition and having teammates not take it seriously. Why would other federations take us seriously when this is a common occurrence. Yes, I realize not all athletes do this, and yes, I understand that this kind of partying can and does happen at other events such as the Olympics, especially after events are finished, but it never really makes the mainstream media in the same way cheer may.

I do wonder how many high level cheerleaders are actually involved in performance enhancing drugs, blood doping, etc. I could see male athletes perhaps being involved with steroids as a possibility, but I am curious how prevalent other doping goes in the sport.

As if drug possession is not a thing in the first place... smh.
Not to mention, if a cop catches your kid with drugs, they will be charged with possession of a controlled substance. They'll have a criminal record.

And also a potential jail sentence if it's a large amount.

(This thread has made me realise that the drug and/or alcohol centred episodes of Degrassi weren't as far-fetched and ridiculous as I thought they were. )
I still want to smack Ashley upside the head for popping that ecstasy pill. But nothing is as stupid (or heartbreaking) as JT getting swallowing half a bottle of pills to commit suicide.

Degrassi is and always has been ahead of it's time.

I still want to smack Ashley upside the head for popping that ecstasy pill. But nothing is as stupid (or heartbreaking) as JT getting swallowing half a bottle of pills to commit suicide.

Degrassi is and always has been ahead of it's time.

Wasn't JT shot or am I just forgetting Degrassi plot lines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do wonder how many high level cheerleaders are actually involved in performance enhancing drugs, blood doping, etc. I could see male athletes perhaps being involved with steroids as a possibility, but I am curious how prevalent other doping goes in the sport.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were found to be kids doping at the college level.

I work in a high school.

A high school in an area that is experiencing a resurgence of issues re: heroin and prescription pills.

If I were allowed to share some of what we've dealt with, I would, and folks may change minds about testing and such.

Our neighbor's son has had too many OD's on heroin to count but, the kicker was the one where he hit a tree and had the needle still in his arm. I'm all for testing. Our system doesn't keep them in jail and our rehab's aren't getting the job done.

See also:

Lol my parents would be equally pissed if I was keeping it for a friend as they'd be if I was using it. I'd be grounded for the rest of my life regardless!

Don't forget Anya, Emma, Liberty, Peter, Katie, and Fiona. And can we consider Claire and some of the hockey players getting drunk at school? I'm sure I've forgot a few. I know the storylines for those characters are exaggerated slightly, but they show that even the 'good kids' can get caught up in drugs/alcohol and that it's foolish to think that a kid could never be involved with drugs/alcohol because they're a 'good kid'.

(It's true; the "School's Out!" movie was the first time a character said the f-word on Canadian broadcast television. And the abortion episodes were something else, too.)
Wait Liberty got drunk/high? On what?

Back