All-Star Stretches?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 21, 2010
Hi hi!

I have been retired from cheer for 4 years now, but am hoping to make my comeback this season on an open coed team! I am very excited to start cheering again, but I do have a slight problem.

I lost a lot of weight from when I used to cheer to now, and I am worried my new gym will want me to fly and I have never been a flyer.

How do I get IOC flyer ready in one summer?
What are your favorite stretches, and any tips you have for me?

Thanks!

Keep us posted on this but I think it is highly unusual for an Open team to make brand new flyers.

If you do end up flying I wish you the best of luck with it.

**Slip n Slide. Official sponsor of Worlds 2016**

Keep us posted on this but I think it is highly unusual for an Open team to make brand new flyers.

If you do end up flying I wish you the best of luck with it.

**Slip n Slide. Official sponsor of Worlds 2016**

wasn't @Ashley thrown into the air on an IOC5? or maybe it was college? I have a bad memory.. But maybe she has some advice :)

wasn't @Ashley thrown into the air on an IOC5? or maybe it was college? I have a bad memory.. But maybe she has some advice :)

I've been a flyer my whole life - IOC6 and college (and high school and pop warner before that). So I don't have a ton of advice on that transition. But spend time in open gyms! We don't have many formal practices during the summer but we have open gym or get together to stunt. It's a great time to practice and learn!

I transitioned to from basing to flying my junior year of college and did fine. It definitely wasn't easy, but I managed to stay in the air and avoided looking out of place at College Nationals, so I consider that a success. ;) In a little over a year I was able to go from zero flying skills to full ups, rewinds, double downs, etc. I think it's much easier flying coed than all girl, so if you can stick to partner stunting you may find it a little easier to learn.

Honestly, I don't have any tips other than to be fearless, take corrections, and work hard. If you're as old as I was when I started flying, make sure you're kind to your body while stretching. I was really inflexible and ended up severely pulling my hamstring a couple times by over stretching. Take it slow and steady.

I've been a flyer my whole life - IOC6 and college (and high school and pop warner before that). So I don't have a ton of advice on that transition. But spend time in open gyms! We don't have many formal practices during the summer but we have open gym or get together to stunt. It's a great time to practice and learn!

oh.. see it was @retiredl5cheer idk why I thought it was you lol

Thanks for the great advice everyone! Tryouts are tomorrow and Im really excited! I'm really lucky to have a very supportive boyfriend who has taken to stretching and conditioning with me during the week when I cant make the drive to the gym haha! I'll let you all know how it goes c:

Latest posts

Back