Struggling Cheerleaders

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mytriplek

Cheer Parent
Oct 18, 2012
Does anyone else have new cheerleaders that can literally do nothing? I mean they can't tumble ( not even roll). To weak to base, can't fly and uncoordinated. What do you do with these ladies?

I have 4 new cheerleaders this year and 2 really started out struggling. One is still pretty bad, her moves are not tight and she cannot forward roll. She struggles with being a base, so I mostly put her as a front, unfortunately she is taller that a lot of the other girls, so she stands out easily. We are continuing to work on the tumbling a couple times a week. In our school district they do not have gym/p.e. class and have not for the last 5 years. It really shows when some of the girls cannot even do jumping jacks and they all struggle with a decent push up.

I have 4 girls who are seriously struggling. No tumbling skills, can't jump, can't hold a 1/2 or prep. 3 out of 4 are also uncoordinated and picks up cheers and skills a lot slower than the rest. I'm so frustrated and worried about competition. I have 21 girls so I guess 4 out of 21 ain't bad

Sounds like they're just weak and uncoordinated. Condition them to build muscle mass and have them practice dances and cheers in a mirror.

Pom girls or sign girls. They can front a stunt but you must continue working with them especially if they come back next season and 4 new girls with zero abilities join, lots and lots of patience.

I'm an Elementary/Middle school coach, not Rec, but I work with kids who are in that situation. All my kids have to have a forward roll to compete, so at the very least I make sure we have that.

I have a long term goal for helping my kids make it on to high school squads. Sometimes that means I shortchange the routine a wee bit in order to work longer on conditioning and jumps. So we don't always bring home the trophy, or look as sharp at games as we could have, but I know how hard it is to get flexible and master your jumps, and in the long run they benefit from the extra work in those areas so I think the trade-off is a reasonable one.

As far as what to do with them immediately in a routine or at a game, I agree with using them as sign or pom girls, or as fronts.

Actually, this is one of the things I love about coaching rec. We take everyone - no experience or skill necessary. It's so rewarding to coach those girls who come in with NO talent, and see them grow. I usually try to give each girl their 'moment' in the routine. For some girls their moment is being a flyer, for some it's being a featured tumbler, being in front for jumps or dance...etc. For the less talented girls, I might make a big deal about 'getting' to hold the signs and tell them what an important job it is. Or there may be a moment in the cheer or dance when everyone else is down, and the girl is in middle doing a sassy move of some sort.

Other than that, use them as front spots, hide them in the back when you can...but keep working with them, and make them feel good about their progress and their worth to the team. They'll come along.

Oh, and teach them to do a forward roll. Look up videos if you need help.

Good luck!

Actually, this is one of the things I love about coaching rec. We take everyone - no experience or skill necessary. It's so rewarding to coach those girls who come in with NO talent, and see them grow. !
Coaching rec was my first coaching experience ever and that truly WAS the most rewarding part about it!!!

Yup. I've had girls who's motor skills are just not developed yet. Don't get frustrated, one of the great things about cheerleading is that there is a place for everyone. Work with them and express any concerns to their parent early on. I had a bad experience with an uncoordinated child. Her mother saw the extra attention the coaches were giving her and thought we were ganging up on her. Because she only sees a fraction of what goes on in a closed practice, it was easy for her to get the wrong idea. It's mother was particularly difficult because she had zero experience with cheerleading. She came in day one and demanded her daughter be a flyer :rolleyes:

Since this is rec cheer I would give them a chance. Offer them some tumbling, stunting and conditioning lessons and just work hard with them. Encourage and praise them as they learn and gain new skills.

Being someone who some coaches would overlook as having no talent. I went to a program who saw that I was extremely determined and also refused to let anyone hit the floor at risk of injury to myself. In 3 months I can forward and back roll and cartwheel not much but I came with nothing. I also can back level 3.

Never give up on a child spend a little time with them maybe do some forward roll drills (get the cheer rx app it has some really good drills!) If they have the determination you will be surprised at just a couple of mins one on one can help

Being someone who some coaches would overlook as having no talent. I went to a program who saw that I was extremely determined and also refused to let anyone hit the floor at risk of injury to myself. In 3 months I can forward and back roll and cartwheel not much but I came with nothing. I also can back level 3.

Never give up on a child spend a little time with them maybe do some forward roll drills (get the cheer rx app it has some really good drills!) If they have the determination you will be surprised at just a couple of mins one on one can help

You remind me of a great article i read about the coachability index.
Tumbling Coach Sahil is his name, if i remember correctly, and what caught me was that he said:
I will take a Level 3 kid with a high CI over a Level 5 kid with a low CI any day. Because the kid with the high CI will get these level 5 skills anyway.

You said it right: Determination, passion, attitude is so important - as a coach, i never give up on an athlete as long as she/he is willing to learn.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

You remind me of a great article i read about the coachability index.
Tumbling Coach Sahil is his name, if i remember correctly, and what caught me was that he said:
I will take a Level 3 kid with a high CI over a Level 5 kid with a low CI any day. Because the kid with the high CI will get these level 5 skills anyway.

You said it right: Determination, passion, attitude is so important - as a coach, i never give up on an athlete as long as she/he is willing to learn.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

sorry to be dumb but what is a CI?

It is my first season of cheer and I have started very late at 20 years old but I still want to compete and I love the training

Back