All-Star Substance Free Programs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You can't simply "wake up and quit" as some people think.

tell me if I'm wrong please.......

You definitly can't , just as much as you can't just wake up and not be depressed anymore or ''just be happy and forget about it#'' if you have a severe depression

(not directed at your post now)
Nevertheless there are still people out there who are not addicts yet and who can be stopped from becoming addicts in the future by possibly changing the dynamics that seem to be going on at these college programs. It's not going to change though unless the schools decide to have severe, unannounced and regular drug testing. The important part is the unannounced one, if you announce it beforehand people will be prepared, and then nothing is going to change.
As for the true drug addicts, i have experienced something like it first hand in my family. It is very difficult, and it changes the persons whole life, not for the good. This is what makes me very sad about the whole situation that has happened at Louisville and especially about the fact that it seems to be a problem at a lot of well known programs. As much as i hate to say it but my view on the programs has changed. Not saying that everyone there takes drugs, i am sure there are plenty of people who have no issues, but still, it is devastating to think that those elite athletes, that we all look up to so much, destroy their lifes with these substances. Makes me sick to my stomach (and i know it is not new, i know very famous athletes have had the issues and continue to have them, but it hits home whenever it's the sport you are in and the sport you love)

I think people are misconstruing what other people know, think and believe about drug addiction.

Drug addition is a mental illness. Drug addicts can and should be held accountable for their own actions the same as anyone else with mental illness. It does nobody any good to victimize an addict and take away their responsibility for their actions.

Whitney Houston was a junkie, Michael Jackson was a junkie. This girl at UofL was a junkie. Yes. The verbiage is and sounds harsh, but what they did to themselves is harsh.

One thing I've learned in one of the many mental health trainings we have to do for work is that you cannot give someone a pass just because they are suffering from mental illness. You don't pacify them, you don't go along and agree with their actions just because of their situation

And yes. I have family members that have both died and/or suffered from drug and/or alcohol addiction. I suspect that if everyone took their blinders off, we'd see that everyone walking God's green earth is one degree of separation from a family member (not just a friend) with substance abuse problems

Last edited:
I don't think anyone wakes up in the morning and says "I want to be. Drug addict!" There is always an underlying mental health concern (not that they're crazy, maybe that they're not able to deal with their particular life situation effectively) with any addict. If they don't get Help the healthy way, they frequently help themselves the unhealthy way.

True, but many times a person will say "It won't happen to me" and try that drug of choice "just once." We know that just once can often lead to just one more time and so on. Suddenly, they are addicted either physically or mentally. There seems to be a prevalent thought, especially in the higher income areas, that you aren't an addict if you can function normally. That idea needs to be knocked out of people's heads. I don't know what it will take for kids and adults to understand that "just once" is rarely just once.

This is so sad to hear but she had to have know that this outcome could've happened. You don't mix drugs like that. (I mean, you just shouldn't do drugs to begin with but it's obviously too late for that talk...) I'm wondering if our drug education programs should start including what exactly each drug does, what drugs you should absolutely not mix, etc. I mean, obviously telling kids to not drink isn't going to do anything. Kids are going to drink anyways. Same with sex. Maybe changing the message to "You really really shouldn't do drugs, but if you do then here's what you need to know." There are a lot of things I have a problem with being taboo and having a stigma and drugs is really high up on that list. (Mental Health comes in at number one but that's another rant for another thread.) it's nice to see Louisville opening up conversation about it rather than trying to cover it up. I hope it can help a lot of people.

To the user who was wondering how many level 5 athletes are using drugs to enhance performance, I'm assuming more than would make you comfortable. At my school, I knew more kids with 3.9-4.0 GPAs that used Adderall than those who didn't. I don't know if it was the pressure of their programs, the amount of work, or whatever that made them feel like they needed it to do their work. These kids relied on it heavily. I should add that these kids did not have it prescribed to them either. It was quite alarming.
I agree with your post, particularly about drug education, but regarding Louisville opening up conversation - they have no choice at this point, and sadly it will probably only be temporary. I have heard Louisville "stories" for years. My daughter is not allowed to even apply there. The coaches/administration have been attempting to cover it up or at the very least look the other way for years so as far as I am concerned they are as guilty of allowing it as their students are for doing it. I'm not saying these things don't happen at other colleges - it is one of my greatest fears of having my CP cheer in college, but I think it is far more prevalent at some schools than others.
I feel the same way regarding the issues we have at Worlds. Monday night is a tragedy waiting to happen and the powers that be continue to look the other way.

we don't know how often or for how long she was taking heroin. if she was using it as a nighttime recreational drug, her performance wouldnt really be affected, especially if she was getting herself up with amphetamine during athletics. she either didn't know her limits or was testing her limits with heroin. im guessing she didn't know, was new to it and took too much. im guessing that the night she died, she oded on that and probably with xanax. if it was the amphetamine that did her in, there would have been some cardiac and/or stroke complication noted in the autopsy report. the amphetamine was probably her regular thing for athletics. amphetamine does in fact help athletic performance...

that's the thing about heroin. it's not just a "nighttime recreational drug." it can't be. maybe she was taking enough uppers during the day to keep herself from withdrawing... but you can't go that long without it. i've already stated this in this thread but over 20 (i honestly, and sadly, think that number is closer to 50 at this point) people i graduated high school with have died of overdose. 99% of them being heroin. i've worked with people on heroin who are now on their 5th stint of rehab. i've seen it first hand. they take long bathroom breaks and wear long sleeves in the summer and think no one notices. they cannot get through the day without getting physically ill without heroin. one girl in particular i knew used cocaine recreationally. she decided to stop and was going through withdrawal. she felt so terrible, she said to someone with her at the time "give me something to make this go away." they gave her heroin and she was 100% addicted from that moment on. i refuse to believe this girl had something laced or this was her first time using heroin. not with that mixture in her system. but i know how powerful heroin and mental addiction are.

you'd also be surprised how easy it is to transition from pain killers to heroin. they either lose their strength when you build up immunity, or you can't get access to them and heroin is the next step. i know plenty of people who started out that way. especially elite athletes. it makes a lot of sense, actually.

THIS. I lost 40 pounds when I started taking my ADHD medication. I take vyvanse (its prescribed just to clarify), which is pretty much the same thing. People at school BEG for you to sell them some of your medication, one kid was so desperate he offered to give me $100 for one pill. Obviously I'm not stupid enough to sell it because basically if you mix any ADHD medication with anything it's just not good news, and kids are idiots and don't pay attention and I'm not going to be responsible-plus, if I sell a pill than thats one less that I have. Oh, and it's pretty illegal. It just amazes me what people do and talk about culture shock coming to college where drugs are common and so is drinking every night. My high school was pretty bad, too-actually, my entire town. It's super common for girls who are FRESHMAN IN HIGH SCHOOL to think they're pregnant and faking pregnancies to get a guy to stay with you is actually common- I'm embarrassed for them honestly. I've never been a partier and I can honestly say I will never be one. I'm always the designated driver/mom if I end up going somewhere with my friends. People do acid, smoke everything they can get their hands on, mix alcohol with deadly drugs, and drinking and driving is also more common than most people would like to know. It's kind of surprising to be honest. Not that you can bust every drug dealer or every parent that is buying their underage children alcohol, but I personally feel like this goes on way too often and people just turn the other cheek, it's sad that a tragedy has to happen for people to realize whats really going on with our generation.
I understand this. My towns not the best about substance problems, the last time I remember someone doing drugs being a serious issue was when I was in 7th grade and this one guy in my grade got arrested and spent 2 years in a juvenile detention center because he was selling cocain (at the whopping age of 12!) and I believe my brother is on vyvanse now, he hasn't lost any weight but he still isn't putting any weight on.

you'd also be surprised how easy it is to transition from pain killers to heroin. they either lose their strength when you build up immunity, or you can't get access to them and heroin is the next step. i know plenty of people who started out that way. especially elite athletes. it makes a lot of sense, actually.

That's what I'm saying--I know people personally who made the painkillers-to-heroin jump. My heart breaks for them and their families who have to go through this.

What I fear here, is labeling her a "drug addict". You don't have to be a drug addict to do drugs, especially teens and college students. Plenty of the "kids" are drinking and drugging on a regular basis, but by no means, would they be labeled addicts. This is more the norm than not. The best of kids are doing it, as well the worst. You can educate your children thoroughly about the dangers, yet they still may try....and possibly enjoy it, making them believe that they know better and that there really is no harm of doing it, because "everyone is". They believe the ones who have had issues with alcohol and drugs (gotten in trouble when using, had a OD scare, DWI, etc) just don't know what they're doing. "That would never happen to me". And I'm willing to bet, there are plenty of kids, after hearing the news, still believe that "her drug use" was the problem, not theirs.

Be careful in believing that this is an isolated incident. The OD's may be, the DWI's may be, but the "partying" will continue. Its rampant and there are PLENTY of kids doing the exact same thing as we discuss this, they just haven't gotten caught yet. For every kid who ODs, there are probably 100's who could've, but didn't.

Last edited:
What I fear here, is labeling her a "drug addict". You don't have to be a drug addict to do drugs, especially teens and college students. Plenty of the "kids" are drinking and drugging on a regular basis, but by no means, would they be labeled addicts. This is more the norm than not. The best of kids are doing it, as well the worst. You can educate your children thoroughly about the dangers, yet they still may try....and possibly enjoy it, making them believe that they know better and that there really is no harm of doing it, because "everyone is". They believe the ones who have had issues with alcohol and drugs (gotten in trouble when using, had a OD scare, DWI, etc) just don't know what they're doing. "That would never happen to me". And I'm willing to bet, there are plenty of kids, after hearing the news, still believe that "her drug use" was the problem, not theirs.

Be careful in believing that this an isolated incident. The OD's may be, the DWI's may be, but the "partying" will continue. Its rampant and there is PLENTY of kids doing the exact same thing as we discuss this, they just haven't gotten caught yet. For every kid who ODs, there are probably 100's who could've, but didn't.
Exactly. When someone hears "kid experimenting with drugs", they might think "wow, I tried XYZ substance once, that could have been me in that news report!" Whereas the term 'drug addict' makes people feel as though the warning doesn't apply to them. Even then, some people might not be scared because no one around them has OD'd yet.

I agree with your post, particularly about drug education, but regarding Louisville opening up conversation - they have no choice at this point, and sadly it will probably only be temporary. I have heard Louisville "stories" for years. My daughter is not allowed to even apply there. The coaches/administration have been attempting to cover it up or at the very least look the other way for years so as far as I am concerned they are as guilty of allowing it as their students are for doing it. I'm not saying these things don't happen at other colleges - it is one of my greatest fears of having my CP cheer in college, but I think it is far more prevalent at some schools than others.

I can't see this opening up a long lasting dialogue about drug use either. It's just like school shootings where they talk about gun control or, most recently, like the death of Robin Williams could have opened up a powerful dialogue about mental health and illnesses but no. Those things last a week tops and then fizzle out fast - until some other event happens. But the optimism in me hopes it will change one persons life atleast.

I think a lot of colleges cover up their student body's drug use or else parents would not be sending their kids there. Drugs at college happen. Underage drinking happens. The best position to put your kid in is sending them into whatever school they choose with as much information you can give them about these things.

When I was touring my school before I was accepted, one of the questions that one of the parents in my tour group asked was "what is the college's alcohol policy?" The tour guide replied saying that our campus is a completely dry campus, even if you were 21+. There was actually an audible sigh of relief from the parents. And that was the whole conversation between parents and the school. Do you think that stopped kids from bringing alcohol onto campus? HELL NO. (Am I allowed to say that on here?) everyone had alcohol on campus, we all got very good at hiding it and concealing it. But many parents, mine included, were under this impression that because it's a dry campus then you don't have alcohol, simple as that. They also fail to mention at tours that our school had the highest number of drug related arrests on campus throughout the country in 2013 (I think that year is right). The dry policy also meant that if someone called for help for themselves or a friend due to drug/alcohol use, then that person is automatically going to be put on probation. So instead of finding the help they need, kids kept it hidden in fear of getting in trouble. People would not call for help no matter how many symptoms you could check off the WebMd list for alcohol poisoning. You can imagine how bad that could be when a freshman goes out for the first time ever, doesn't know their limits when drinking, and their room mates, who have never been educated on what no to do when someone is drunk, thinks "oh just put them to bed, they'll be fine when they wake up".

I will say that my college did alright with educating students. And I'm pretty positive we had a drug counselor who worked on campus, so there were resources, but idk if it was enough. My parents don't have talks with me about those things. Most of my friends parents didn't. My highschool health class did not give me any helpful information for situations like those. And I don't think D.A.R.E. is as effective of keeping kids out of trouble. Educating people and not having the threat of reprimand when they seek help is something that every college should have in place.

Sorry for the novel y'all.

Last edited:
You don't have to be a drug addict, to die from using illegal (or legal) drugs.

Using amphetamines and heroin together is nothing new. Using uppers and downers together is not new. Just google it and people are openly talking about it in forums and how to get the best high from it. Speedballing (or forms of) have been around for a long time.

Sorry for the novel y'all.
Don't be sorry - it is a great novel! I agree - the more it gets talked about the better it is for everyone - students, parents, administrators, etc. I do feel it is becoming a crisis. When I was in college (decades ago!) alcohol was the norm and weed was fairly common, but that was it. I am sure there was drug use such as heroin or cocaine, but it was not even a thought in my social circle. I don't think pills or prescription drugs were even on my radar. There is so much more available now and it is far more prevalent, and I want to know about it, and I certainly want my kids to know about it. Knowledge is power. I don't want to hear "I have a secret about this subject but I'm not telling". We only hear about the good of college, cheer, athletics etc. I want to hear what the issues are, where they are, and do my best to educate my kids on how to avoid it!

You can't simply "wake up and quit" as some people think.

tell me if I'm wrong please.......

Not sure if it was "some" people or just me, but since you quoted me...

There are two camps of people that are currently using drugs: 1. the camp that is incapable of either understanding their situation or doing anything about it and 2. the camp that is still coherent enough to realize they might be able to stop.

My tweet was primarily directed at camp 2 because camp 1 is lost without dramatic personal, family or professional intervention.

Did a tweet actually cause anyone to change a life direction? Seriously doubt it, but I wanted to register my feelings about the issue and take a shot. Maybe it will stop someone from even starting.

So, for some people, I'm going to say you're wrong. For others, I doubt they can even wake up, much less quit.

But the hand wringing and pearl clutching about the people that "just can't help it" is fostering an environment allowing this to continue.

You don't have to be a drug addict, to die from using illegal (or legal) drugs.

Using amphetamines and heroin together is nothing new. Using uppers and downers together is not new. Just google it and people are openly talking about it in forums and how to get the best high from it. Speedballing (or forms of) have been around for a long time.

No, you don't but the large majority of people that OD are. People don't just start doing cocaine and heroin. You graduate to that from other drugs. Speedballing has been a killer for decades and decades but that doesn't make it ok. Heroin use is up more now than ever and this is coming from someone who survived the 70's and 80's in high school and college when drug use was thought to be at its highest.
I think the lesson learned is stay away from drugs. Don't use them to get thin, study, perform better, make yourself feel better, etc. Get help if you feel like you need to try drugs. Have someone to hold you accountable. And as parents, know what your kids are doing. Randomly drug test them if you are unsure. Keep the lines of communication open. Be vigilant. No family should have to suffer a tragic, senseless death like Dani's family.
We need to learn from this and be better...

Back