All-Star Summer Sandbox

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The sad part is that I believe this kid will actually throw the skills for cali. The skills that he didn't throw for his previous team the past 2 years.
I have seen that happen before and I am sure I'm not the only one who has seen it It can be easy for athletes to get stuck in a rut and if not good motivation or incentive from those around it can be hard to get themselves out of it. There can be a multitude of reasons from not being happy with the gym, a particular coach, not having coaches that could motivate him, or just plain bored. Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders for someone and it is sad that coaches and owners don't always see or respect that. Not every gym is for every athlete and vice versa and it is possible to outgrow one another as well.

**well now, this could be interesting**

The sad part is that I believe this kid will actually throw the skills for cali. The skills that he didn't throw for his previous team the past 2 years.
That's very possible. I've known athletes who just can't perform on the home field due to real or perceived stress factors. Once they are in a new environment with no preconceived expectations they find the confidence to perform again.

I've never had the "old video full of stuff kids never throw now" problem as my kids have always generally been lower level all stars or HS. So I don't really do video tryouts.

However, I have had the "I worked to get this skill, threw it at clinics and tryouts, and am no longer able to throw it now that I've made the team and the season has started" problem.

Sometimes when you practice 10÷ hrs a week on the routine, you don't have any time to work your other tumbling skills, A few hours of work and they are coming back.

I had this happen...when I was cheering in the states I was at a gym where not only was I motivated but also had amazing coaches so my tumbling was always progressing. When I moved I was at a good gym but there wasn't the pressure of needing to get the skills so I was kind of complacent and I lost a lot of my tumbling.

Sometimes when you practice 10÷ hrs a week on the routine, you don't have any time to work your other tumbling skills, A few hours of work and they are coming back.
THIS! So frustrating when athletes have to go in on their own time/money to just be able to condition tumbling that they already have. I get that team practice is about stunting, but there needs to be time to just run through what is choreographed into a routine. I have an issue when the team has so many problems with stunting/performance and those things take up the majority of the practice time. I am just speaking about perfected skills and how without regular maintenance even those can suffer if not conditioned regularly.

SO... how are everyones first practices going? I'm ECSTATIC at what these kids are achieving in just two hours.
I've seen so many excited posts from athletes and parents about assorted teams. I can't wait until showoffs! I know it's a little early to say that but they'll be here before we know it.

I've seen so many excited posts from athletes and parents about assorted teams. I can't wait until showoffs! I know it's a little early to say that but they'll be here before we know it.

I was like a kid in a candy store tonight seeing the way these new group of athletes formed a new team, some old faces, lots of new ones. It's this time of the season that reminds me why I love my job and can make an impact on these kids lives. Sometimes all a kid needs is a little encouragement and they break right out of their shell.

SO... how are everyones first practices going? I'm ECSTATIC at what these kids are achieving in just two hours.

We're still in workout groups but our tentative teams (kids have until skills camp in July to show us that they can be consistent and that the team is a good fit for them) are announced on Friday. I'm terrified and excited at the same time [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was like a kid in a candy store tonight seeing the way these new group of athletes formed a new team, some old faces, lots of new ones. It's this time of the season that reminds me why I love my job and can make an impact on these kids lives. Sometimes all a kid needs is a little encouragement and they break right out of their shell.
you're like a proud mom to her baby ducklings I love it

Back