OT To Greek Or Not To Greek

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
@cheerKT your new pledge class has more people in it than the largest class I ever took at Providence. #smallschoolprobz

Voting varies by each sorority. We would vote in between each round on the girl we talked to that round., and take detailed notes on our conversation so we could remember them...we're talking to a lot of girls! Votes would be based on how we saw her fitting in with the chapter, not anything like disliking her outfit. As the rounds get longer you may get "bumped" and speak with different girls. This was just to give you the opportunity to meet more members and more of them the chance to meet you.

There's a whole voting process/scale which I'm sure varies by chapter, but one vote won't make or break you and doesn't automatically mean you're in or out. And of course your votes factor into that too.

For us, technically the girls who met you would vote, but girls you know personally had the chance to weigh in if they wanted eventually. (But again doesn't make or break you) The whole process is designed to be an average of all your votes, you can't be "blackballed" or a shoe-in just by a vote or two or just by knowing someone within that chapter.

(Can't go in to too many specifics, since voting procedures are technically ritual)
This actually helps a lot! I plan to rush next fall regardless, but I never really understood how rush really works on the inside lol.

This actually helps a lot! I plan to rush next fall regardless, but I never really understood how rush really works on the inside lol.
If it helps, no one really does until you're on that side. (and sometimes not even then, it's all done on a computer system)

Her pledge class is double entire sororities when I was in school. My room mates' sophomore year had a pledge class of 4. Greek life is soooooooo different in the north. I learn something new each time I come to this thread :p
To be fair, my pledge class in 2009 was only 80. ("only", I know.) But they've grown each year and South Carolina has been adding more sororities to combat the ridiculously expanding pledge classes.

More and more girls sign up for recruitment each year, but the school has added three new sororities since 2009. One more to come this fall, bringing the total to 14, I believe. It appears to be working, this pledge class was the same size as the class from two years ago. Quota this year was 113 and so they exceeded it, meaning they shouldn't have to COB.

I'm late to the conversation, but I've never met a sorority or fraternity member who wasn't stuck up or incredibly pompous. I'm sure that is not always the case though! :) Great people exist who don't participate in Greek, but you wouldn't know that by talking to someone in a fraternity/sorority. Every person I've known who has joined Greek has changed, usually not for the better.

I'm late to the conversation, but I've never met a sorority or fraternity member who wasn't stuck up or incredibly pompous. I'm sure that is not always the case though! :) Great people exist who don't participate in Greek, but you wouldn't know that by talking to someone in a fraternity/sorority. Every person I've known who has joined Greek has changed, usually not for the better.
I'm sorry you've had that experience :( I know for me personally greek life has taught me to be much friendlier and outgoing than I was in the past!

my little sister is going to be a kappa delta @ ECU! i am beyond excited for her...but now i need any cute crafting ideas since we are in two different sororities, any ideas?

also congrats on your bid day too @krystynakrez !!!!

my little sister is going to be a kappa delta @ ECU! i am beyond excited for her...but now i need any cute crafting ideas since we are in two different sororities, any ideas?

also congrats on your bid day too @krystynakrez !!!!

some cute ideas that can be tweaked:
Friends Themed Sorority Canvas | Phi Mu Phi Mu Phi Mu | Pinterest

For my best friend. Alpha Chi Omega. Pi Beta Phi. Painted canvas for sorority crafts. | Cora's Board | Pinterest

Custom sorority canvas board by LittleMacDesign on Etsy, $10.00 | Sigma Kappa | Pinterest

post with a bunch of quotes that could make cute canvases:
♕ panhellenic friendship sayings & quotes! ♕ | sorority sugar

Hello greek friends! Above is the video I actually got to watch during philanthropy round of recruitment about Sigma Kappa's philanthropy at Mizzou. We have several philanthropies but one of them is gerontology with an emphasis on Alzheimers, which is the sixth leading cause of death in the US. If you don't know much about Alzheimer's disease I strongly encourage you to watch at least the first two minutes of this video to learn more! Each year we participate in the Walk to End Alzheimer's, and for the last two years have been the top fundraising Sigma Kappa chapter in the nation! The walk is coming up and this year we are trying to raise $45,000. If you would like to donate to this awesome cause, any amount helps and would be greatly appreciated :)
Walk to End Alzheimer's | Alzheimer's Association

Sorry you had that experience. Hopefully some people here can change your mind!

now that I finally have some time to do it - here's some pics from my bid day!
theme was birthday
based on this song:

2u7swno.jpg

2e0mwqh.jpg

i25654.jpg

Our 65 new members!!!
34fn21l.jpg

Hey guys, I remember reading this thread so long ago because I've always wanted to be a part of greek life! Maybe some of you have some insight to my rush experience right now and can help me. I just transferred to a big university so, of course, I decided to rush. I'm in my third year of college, but the way my credits transferred I was unsure of what grade I was, so I put down on my application a junior. Turns out, I have about two and a half years left, so I'm technically a sophomore. I didn't know this until today after my first round of parties. When I came back today I only got invited back to two of the eight potential parties. The two I got invited back to were both ones I didn't feel a connection to day one. I was hesitant to even continue, but decided it'd still be a great experience. I understand each chapter has different things they're looking for, etc., but does age matter? I would just hate not to have made it into the house tour parties because of my mistaken grade and if I rush next year, be in the same situation. Sorry, I'm more venting at this point. It's 100 percent possible the houses just didn't think I was a good fit even if I felt a strong connection! It's just frustrating to not have options you enjoy when you've looked forward to this moment your entire life.

Back