All-Star Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know on our senior 2 a lot of the girls were new to all star, looking to get some experience to try out for high school. I don't think they truly understood what they were getting into as far a s hard work and commitment. It seems to happen a lot on that senior 2 team, because that is where pretty much everyone that doesn't qualify for youth and is new to cheer ends up because we typically have a J3 and not a J2.

When I was 13 I was in between in the size department, on a JR team I could get by with basing but I think the gym owners thought I wouldn't get any taller so they put me on SR 2 to fly. I was a level 3 and veteran member of the program, but many of my teammates were new older girls doing AS because their HS team wasn't good. The lack of dedication, most felt that they didn't need to gain skills because they were about to age out, really affected me. Probably why I ended up quitting AS. Socially I was fine but I struggled with the cheer stuff because I was more advanced and still so focused on the sport.

Thank you to everyone for the comments. I've actually considered everything you guys are saying. To answer some questions...the gym she has been at only has a level 1-3 team. Nothing higher. :( So basically my CP is at the top of the food chain there and wants so much more. She needs to be with other athletes who will challenge and inspire her. She is 10 and trust me I've counted just how many years of driving that could be, lol. My husband and I prayed long and hard about what to do and took everything you guys are saying into account. Practices are on Sunday and one week day (I know there will be more), so we plan on spending the Sunday together traveling as a family. There is so much to do in the big city! She doesn't get carsick, so she will be able to do homework on the way during the week. Her dedication to school (straight A student) and to cheer are so mature...if I had any doubt then there is no way I'd consider driving her that far. One thing to note, last season I had to pick up her teammate for practice on Sunday, long story, but that trip was an hour and ten minutes each way through the back roads. I'm thinking God was preparing me to drive this whole last season, ha. Again, thank you all for your comments, advice and best wishes. Oh and did I mention I'm going to workout while she is at cheer practice and invest in audiobooks for the car ride!

We are also crazily beginning a new cheer commute of 1 hour 40 minutes. There was more drama than Dance Moms at our current gym and some kids took a mass exodus. I can't even get into it all, as it is worse than a soap opera. So current gym was going to try and keep a location going in the area, but highest they are slated to have is J2 and maybe J3. However, coach is not sure (more than likely no) he would like to keep the gym in the area, with the new Summit rules that you cannot have more than one location to compete at D2 Summit. So, CP has two options. 1.) commute to the other location of her same gym (far) 2.) Move to a gym that is 10 minutes (in a straight line) from my house. CP has a history of tumbling blocks and is a very mental tumbler. This last year was the first one, she actually tumbled in every competition for the entire season. We went up to the other gym location (same gym) last week and it was an open gym and tumbling was rough for her. Eventually her tumbling coach was able to talk her into tumbling and she was happy. But, my point, change is REALLY difficult for her, and even though she had her same tumbling coach there, it was still hard in a new location. I could NOT imagine her trying out at a new gym, when even the location with familiar coaches and kids she knows was mind blowing for her. She loves to cross over and has been placed on Senior 3 and Senior 4, with practice starting tomorrow. Right now, she has practice Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, but we are going to go up twice a week, alternating days. When summer hits (I am a teacher), we might consider going up 3x a week. During the school year, it will be a week night and Sunday, however I do not yet have tumbling in the mix. The commute was not horrible last week, but I am worried about it becoming a burden. However, this gym has really helped my daughter achieve more goals than she ever possibly thought. She had such a large block when she started two years ago, that she would not even throw a standing bhs and had never progressed beyond level 2 skills in tumbling, as she always held herself back. I am hoping this will be good for her and she will weather through the changes and continue to build the confidence she has worked so hard to get. I have three other kids, so it sounds crazy that I am going to be driving my 11 year old such a distance for cheer, but we'll see how it goes. If for some reason this season is too much for her, the other gym will always be there. But I am really hoping this does go well for her.

Since we're on the topic of driving long distances to cheer...
Parents, how far would you let your CP drive themselves to cheer? Is there a point where its too far to have them drive alone?

2 hours would be my max, maybe a little over 2 if it were for say a "dream team" type situation. i cant imagine how anyone does more then that for any team, much less having the parent do it, personally i dont even know how some parents are able to make the drive period, considering most of the older generation (that i know) work 9-5 corporate jobs.
i could never figure out if a certain SE athlete who had mentioned she drove 4 hours for the team. If is was 4 hours each way or 4 hours total round trip.

I am presently starting season 7 of my 2.5 hour each way commute to mega gym.
We started the spring when CP was in 4th grade for the same reasons as @LateKate3 . ( We were looking for level 5 ) Our gym at the time only had up to level 3.
I am so over it.... But CP is not! She has this year and next before she graduates. CP also has maintained great grades as well as a part time job. I have begged her to graduate early to escape 1 year of this driving torture.
It has prevented me from having any type of full time job. It actually is a full time job driving there and back 3 times a week.
My daughter would be absolutley devestated if we pulled her. So to the happy highway I go.
Add this to your points to consider... You can't take it back lol.

My CP made her expected team- Senior 2. I think it is going to be an awesome team. They are on the young side of senior 2, but most of them have multiple seasons of cheer experience with only 1 or 2 that have never cheered before. Most of the team was on a level 2 team of some sort last year, and it looks like they will be starting the season pretty much maxed out skill wise.

2 hours would be my max, maybe a little over 2 if it were for say a "dream team" type situation. i cant imagine how anyone does more then that for any team, much less having the parent do it, personally i dont even know how some parents are able to make the drive period, considering most of the older generation (that i know) work 9-5 corporate jobs.
i could never figure out if a certain SE athlete who had mentioned she drove 4 hours for the team. If is was 4 hours each way or 4 hours total round trip.

Are you talking about from this past World's? She was on LoT and said it was 4 hours each way from WV.

Are you talking about from this past World's? She was on LoT and said it was 4 hours each way from WV.

But don't CEA teams only practice one day a week? That's always brought up when we complain about the crossovers and the burnout of the athletes.. I'm sure it was more leading up to Worlds, but driving down on say Friday and leaving Sunday night if staying with a teammate doesn't seem too horrible if family time/a social life aren't a huge deal.

I don't think that would be sustainable for multiple seasons, but if she was one of the kids they added for the new bid at UCA, that's, what, a month? month and a half? If she cheered high school, she wouldn't have been allowed to be on the team all season, anyway because WV has silly rules so if that's the case, I don't think it's insane. Unless they're in the car 8 hours in the same day for a round trip. That's insane.

But don't CEA teams only practice one day a week? That's always brought up when we complain about the crossovers and the burnout of the athletes.. I'm sure it was more leading up to Worlds, but driving down on say Friday and leaving Sunday night if staying with a teammate doesn't seem too horrible if family time/a social life aren't a huge deal.

I don't think that would be sustainable for multiple seasons, but if she was one of the kids they added for the new bid at UCA, that's, what, a month? month and a half? If she cheered high school, she wouldn't have been allowed to be on the team all season, anyway because WV has silly rules so if that's the case, I don't think it's insane. Unless they're in the car 8 hours in the same day for a round trip. That's insane.

I think they only practice one a week with stuff added in before competitions.

She did say this was her dream gym and her senior year, so definitely a one and done situation. No clue the logistics of how they made that work, but 4 hours each way is intense.

There is more than one athlete from CEA with a long commute so this may not even be the athlete the poster was asking about.

I am presently starting season 7 of my 2.5 hour each way commute to mega gym.
We started the spring when CP was in 4th grade for the same reasons as @LateKate3 . ( We were looking for level 5 ) Our gym at the time only had up to level 3.
I am so over it.... But CP is not! She has this year and next before she graduates. CP also has maintained great grades as well as a part time job. I have begged her to graduate early to escape 1 year of this driving torture.
It has prevented me from having any type of full time job. It actually is a full time job driving there and back 3 times a week.
My daughter would be absolutley devestated if we pulled her. So to the happy highway I go.
Add this to your points to consider... You can't take it back lol.

Kudos to your CP for doing it all!

I echo your last point...you can't take it back! We started commuting this year (short compared to yours) and there is no way I could stop because I'm tired of the commute as long as cp is happy. It's a commitment - hw done in the car is not done with the same focus as it is when done at home. CP's brother got her a reading light for Christmas so she could see her hw better in the car. Lol

Another thing to consider is commuting when you're sick. It's no fun when it's your day to drive and you feel like death warmed over, but she has practice and DH can't get off work to help you for the evening so off you go.

I ran into back issues because I wasn't used to sitting in a car for so long. I've had to work on stretching my back so it doesn't hurt.

I've also had to take CP out of school early a few times when the weather was awful on a practice day or she had to be competition ready for something at the gym on a school night. Luckily she is very responsible and her 5th hour teacher was very understanding and reasonable.

I second the need of being aware of extra time being pulled out of school to get there with full makeup or during bad weather. I also found that I would leave on Thursday directly from practice to a comp, when normal circumstances , she would probably have gone a half day to school. Justifying an additional three hours of driving wasn't worth it.

All in all , it has been a pleasant experience most days. We have some great conversations and she kept her grades up. Lots of extra expenses come with travel, food, car upkeep etc, but it is worth it. Just remember that even though you estimate that it is three times a week. It easily can be more with social commitments and extra practices.

I have a potential nine more seasons. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is more than one athlete from CEA with a long commute so this may not even be the athlete the poster was asking about.

I know, that is why I asked specifically if she was referring to the interview given at World's.

Back