All-Star Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Same thing happened at our gym. Our Junior team (who really only had a few girls above the Youth level) put in a ton of work and it showed because they did win a lot. Towards the end of the season our Senior 2 team did finally start putting in a bit more effort but never got a first place finish. In the packet this year I think they even added some additional codes of conduct relating to having a bad attitude and what not. I just don't get why you would want to do a sport where you don't want to put in the effort - especially something as hard as All Star Cheer. It's the diff between being on a Rec softball team vs a Travel team. Sure you can have fun on Rec but if you're paying the big bucks - it's not always about fun.
I know on our senior 2 a lot of the girls were new to all star, looking to get some experience to try out for high school. I don't think they truly understood what they were getting into as far a s hard work and commitment. It seems to happen a lot on that senior 2 team, because that is where pretty much everyone that doesn't qualify for youth and is new to cheer ends up because we typically have a J3 and not a J2.

Placements for my kid are going to be interesting this year. She ages off of youth, but doesn't have her tuck yet. She has all standing tumbling requirements for level 3 plus a punch front she lands some of the time. Assuming we don't have enough kids for a separate J2, I expect that she will end up on S2 unless they really need her to base or back on J3. We are a small gym and there is a chance they will need her size and strength on J3, even without the tuck.

this is an issue at our gym as well with the sr team
We had some of this happening on my college team last year. I didn't always give 100% myself last semester. I had some good reasons for it. Not so much bad days. I think sometimes with older athletes, people forget they still need the attaboys, or good jobs, and pats on the back they're peppered with as children. Not as often but, still need them.

This was my first year of All star and I was on senior 2. Now I'm aging out and I don't know whether to tryout for open 4 at another gym or not? (My gym is too small to get enough open aged athletes :( ) Has anyone jumped levels like this? I'm currently working on level 3 stunts with my Sr. 2 team but idk and tryouts for open 4 are on May 7th so I'm nervous!!

Howdy, I started at Level 4 and I definitely don't have tumbling skills, and I still don't even after moving up to an Collegiate OPEN 6. If you have good basics at the lower level with stunting/ flying and your jumps are clean. Transitioning up to level 4 and learning that skills set wouldn't be that hard. Tumbling is always a skill that can be worked outside of regular cheer practices and without your teammates as tumbling is somewhat a solo aspect. You can take some privates at a Gymnastics Gym, or even a cheer gym to work up to those skills.

We had the opposite problem at our gym. Seniors can get lazy and have bad attitudes at times. Our youth kids were silly sometimes, but were always at practice and easily refocused. Seniors were often out for school related activities and some of them didn't put in 100% effort when they were tired, having a bad day, practice wasn't going well, ect.
Our senior team was a hot mess of drama this year, it was just bad. Our junior team had some young girls, my cp being one of them, but they all worked hard and came together nicely as a team.

This was my CP this year. She just made the age cutoff for youth, is 5'1", looks much older than 12, and was on a youth team. Most of her peer group is in that 13-15 range too.
@cheer25mom, I am curious to know...How did your cp handled being 12, very tall, mature for her age and having trouble fitting in on a too youthful team?

Howdy, I started at Level 4 and I definitely don't have tumbling skills, and I still don't even after moving up to an Collegiate OPEN 6. If you have good basics at the lower level with stunting/ flying and your jumps are clean. Transitioning up to level 4 and learning that skills set wouldn't be that hard. Tumbling is always a skill that can be worked outside of regular cheer practices and without your teammates as tumbling is somewhat a solo aspect. You can take some privates at a Gymnastics Gym, or even a cheer gym to work up to those skills.
You make a good point, thank you! I have a pretty good understanding with stunting so I'm not too worried about that but I will definitely need to work on my tumbling lol

My CP has been at the same gym for 4 years. She tried out the end of April, hoping a level 4 would make. It didn't, however, and she was placed on a J3 for what would be the third year. (Started as a M1, J2, J3, J3). As much as she loves her gym and her team, she was really hoping for a level 4 so she could use the skills she has worked so hard to get (she has a full, whip, specialty passes, standing tuck, standing 3 to full and will soon start working on her double and standing full according to her tumbling coach) Her dream gym is a mega gym in Dallas area which is 2.5 hours away. So we made a compromise with her and her current gym and decided to let her tryout at dream gym, if she makes a 4 she can go there and she understands the time/drive commitment for both of us. If she makes a level 3 at dream gym, then we will stay at the gym we have been at for one more year. She is used to a Jr team, so a J4 is ideally what she wants...but a Y4 (as long as she can fly) will make her just as happy. Honestly, I'm just ready for tryouts to be over and know the results. I'm so excited for and proud of her for chasing her dreams. I know many will think I've lost my mind for driving her so far. But I've never seen a kid work so hard and be so passionate so I will support her as long as she loves it.

My CP has been at the same gym for 4 years. She tried out the end of April, hoping a level 4 would make. It didn't, however, and she was placed on a J3 for what would be the third year. (Started as a M1, J2, J3, J3). As much as she loves her gym and her team, she was really hoping for a level 4 so she could use the skills she has worked so hard to get (she has a full, whip, specialty passes, standing tuck, standing 3 to full and will soon start working on her double and standing full according to her tumbling coach) Her dream gym is a mega gym in Dallas area which is 2.5 hours away. So we made a compromise with her and her current gym and decided to let her tryout at dream gym, if she makes a 4 she can go there and she understands the time/drive commitment for both of us. If she makes a level 3 at dream gym, then we will stay at the gym we have been at for one more year. She is used to a Jr team, so a J4 is ideally what she wants...but a Y4 (as long as she can fly) will make her just as happy. Honestly, I'm just ready for tryouts to be over and know the results. I'm so excited for and proud of her for chasing her dreams. I know many will think I've lost my mind for driving her so far. But I've never seen a kid work so hard and be so passionate so I will support her as long as she loves it.
What are the other Junior and Senior teams in your gym? Is the level 4 a senior team that she is too young to fly on, or do they not feel she is ready to fly level 4? Have you spoken to the coaches about their decision to keep her on a J3? I'm very curious as to the feedback you received regarding that.
I'm assuming she is under 11 because you mentioned she could still be placed on a Y4. Just keep in mind that 2.5 hours each way is a long drive to start now and continue until she ages out of cheer, if she stays with the sport. Many, many years of driving. Less time at home (for both her and you), less time with school friends, and even less time with the new gym friends because let's be realistic you are not going to drive her to a sleepover 2.5 hours away on a regular basis.
Good luck to your cp!

That's 5 hours in a car each practice day, which I assume will be at least twice a week, for an 11 year old (or even younger)? I'm sharing this with you because I think people sometimes really don't understand how challenging a long commute can be for a kid. I'm sincerely not trying to dissuade you, but I am very strongly encouraging you to really, REALLY think about what this means - not only for your young athlete, but also for you and your entire family.

This past season, my CP (who is 15 and finishing her Sophomore year) struggled so much that she's taking her Junior year off to focus strictly on her academics. Yes, she maintained a 4.2 GPA with AP and honors classes, but it took every "free" minute she had to do it. Her gym was an hour away, and this is what it was like for her... Wake up at 6am to finish whatever homework she didn't finish the night before. Get ready for school, eat breakfast, and out the door at 8:30am to catch the bus. School all day. Get off the bus at 4:10pm. Shove down some food, try to get some homework done (which rarely happened, because by the time she got started, she'd have to stop), get dressed for practice - out the door by 5:30pm. Pick up carpool teammate and drive to the gym - traffic was usually horrid. Practice started at 7:00pm - ended at 9:30pm... most nights we left the gym by 9:45pm. After dropping off carpool buddy, we would walk through the door by 10:45pm if we were lucky (and I didn't get caught speeding). She would shower, get ready for bed, and start working on homework by 11:30pm. At some point she would fall asleep - start all over again at 6am. Her practices were Tuesdays and Thursdays - and as you can imagine, due to her heavy courseload, M, W, F and weekends were alllll about homework - and that's if she wasn't taking privates, there weren't extra practices, and it wasn't comp season! During comp season, well... please tell me you get the picture, right?

All of that craziness is with her going to a gym AN HOUR away from home... and you're talking about your CP going to a gym TWO AND A HALF HOURS away.

I know some kids handle it just fine, and I know this is done all the time. Just please, PLEASE really map this out on paper to make sure it's doable for all of you BEFORE you commit to letting her go to the dream gym. I promise you that I'm not being snarky. I wish you and your CP the best of luck with everything!!! :)

That's 5 hours in a car each practice day, which I assume will be at least twice a week, for an 11 year old (or even younger)? I'm sharing this with you because I think people sometimes really don't understand how challenging a long commute can be for a kid. I'm sincerely not trying to dissuade you, but I am very strongly encouraging you to really, REALLY think about what this means - not only for your young athlete, but also for you and your entire family.

This past season, my CP (who is 15 and finishing her Sophomore year) struggled so much that she's taking her Junior year off to focus strictly on her academics. Yes, she maintained a 4.2 GPA with AP and honors classes, but it took every "free" minute she had to do it. Her gym was an hour away, and this is what it was like for her... Wake up at 6am to finish whatever homework she didn't finish the night before. Get ready for school, eat breakfast, and out the door at 8:30am to catch the bus. School all day. Get off the bus at 4:10pm. Shove down some food, try to get some homework done (which rarely happened, because by the time she got started, she'd have to stop), get dressed for practice - out the door by 5:30pm. Pick up carpool teammate and drive to the gym - traffic was usually horrid. Practice started at 7:00pm - ended at 9:30pm... most nights we left the gym by 9:45pm. After dropping off carpool buddy, we would walk through the door by 10:45pm if we were lucky (and I didn't get caught speeding). She would shower, get ready for bed, and start working on homework by 11:30pm. At some point she would fall asleep - start all over again at 6am. Her practices were Tuesdays and Thursdays - and as you can imagine, due to her heavy courseload, M, W, F and weekends were alllll about homework - and that's if she wasn't taking privates, there weren't extra practices, and it wasn't comp season! During comp season, well... please tell me you get the picture, right?

All of that craziness is with her going to a gym AN HOUR away from home... and you're talking about your CP going to a gym TWO AND A HALF HOURS away.

I know some kids handle it just fine, and I know this is done all the time. Just please, PLEASE really map this out on paper to make sure it's doable for all of you BEFORE you commit to letting her go to the dream gym. I promise you that I'm not being snarky. I wish you and your CP the best of luck with everything!!! :)

I echo this a little---it's all fun and games for the first few months; you get into a routine, you know what to expect, you catch up on stuff during the weekends and think all will be fine. But then, then competition season starts and it's game over on your time, your energy, your ability to just breathe.

I drive my almost 8 year old about an hour each way---we pass three other gyms in the area because this is the one she wanted, but I will not lie and say it's easy. I'll also not lie and say it hasn't been hard on her too. We had to seriously sit down and consider what to do about next season.

@LateKate3 it is definitely a lifestyle change to do this commute for so many years. We did just over a 2 hr, each way, commute for a couple of years and it takes its toll on the kids as well as the adults.

When considering this please take into account the cost of the trip. More oil changes, more gas, tires wear faster, etc. as for homework you can pretty much rule out anything really productive on practice nights unless cp can operate on little sleep.

I'm our case cp was older and for extra weekend activities we could utilize trains or busses and teammates for lodging so we didn't need hotels to stay over.

Also what may be a local 1 day comp, 3-4 hr drive from gym, could be an overnight for you.

It really is your decision to make but just trying to give you a few mods things to consider.

**Autographs for sale**

@cheer25mom, I am curious to know...How did your cp handled being 12, very tall, mature for her age and having trouble fitting in on a too youthful team?
She ended up as alomost a junior coach. She was often put in charge of leading the team conditioning at the beginning of practice, she took little ones to the bathroom at comps, helped soothe the ones with nerves, she helped spot new stunts being taught, ect.(the flyers were all under 50 lbs and my kid is 5'1" and 125lbs with 4 years experience so it was safe to let her help) She was the "ok, enough silly, lets get to work" voice on her team. She often took her stunt group to the side to run stunts while the coaches worked with another group. The coaches did look to her for leadership, and she had a lot of responsibility. She did a good job of it, but probably would have enjoyed a team her own age and maturity level better. Her stunting ability vastly exceeds her tumbling ability, so we are in the position of balancing the 2.

Thank you to everyone for the comments. I've actually considered everything you guys are saying. To answer some questions...the gym she has been at only has a level 1-3 team. Nothing higher. :( So basically my CP is at the top of the food chain there and wants so much more. She needs to be with other athletes who will challenge and inspire her. She is 10 and trust me I've counted just how many years of driving that could be, lol. My husband and I prayed long and hard about what to do and took everything you guys are saying into account. Practices are on Sunday and one week day (I know there will be more), so we plan on spending the Sunday together traveling as a family. There is so much to do in the big city! She doesn't get carsick, so she will be able to do homework on the way during the week. Her dedication to school (straight A student) and to cheer are so mature...if I had any doubt then there is no way I'd consider driving her that far. One thing to note, last season I had to pick up her teammate for practice on Sunday, long story, but that trip was an hour and ten minutes each way through the back roads. I'm thinking God was preparing me to drive this whole last season, ha. Again, thank you all for your comments, advice and best wishes. Oh and did I mention I'm going to workout while she is at cheer practice and invest in audiobooks for the car ride!

What are the other Junior and Senior teams in your gym? Is the level 4 a senior team that she is too young to fly on, or do they not feel she is ready to fly level 4? Have you spoken to the coaches about their decision to keep her on a J3? I'm very curious as to the feedback you received regarding that.
I'm assuming she is under 11 because you mentioned she could still be placed on a Y4. Just keep in mind that 2.5 hours each way is a long drive to start now and continue until she ages out of cheer, if she stays with the sport. Many, many years of driving. Less time at home (for both her and you), less time with school friends, and even less time with the new gym friends because let's be realistic you are not going to drive her to a sleepover 2.5 hours away on a regular basis.
Good luck to your cp!

Her flying skills are in line with her tumbling. Her coaches have told me she is definitely ready for a level 4 team, but the rest of her team was not ready to bump up. We are in a position that moving could be an option in the future if driving doesn't work for us. At this point we feel like we needed to give her the opportunity to be a big fish among a sea of other big fish and some even bigger fish. So if she makes a level 4 then we shall drive. Thank you for your well wishes. Parenting is so hard sometimes. Lol.

Back