All-Star Tryout Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you to everyone for the comments. I've actually considered everything you guys are saying. To answer some questions...the gym she has been at only has a level 1-3 team. Nothing higher. :( So basically my CP is at the top of the food chain there and wants so much more. She needs to be with other athletes who will challenge and inspire her. She is 10 and trust me I've counted just how many years of driving that could be, lol. My husband and I prayed long and hard about what to do and took everything you guys are saying into account. Practices are on Sunday and one week day (I know there will be more), so we plan on spending the Sunday together traveling as a family. There is so much to do in the big city! She doesn't get carsick, so she will be able to do homework on the way during the week. Her dedication to school (straight A student) and to cheer are so mature...if I had any doubt then there is no way I'd consider driving her that far. One thing to note, last season I had to pick up her teammate for practice on Sunday, long story, but that trip was an hour and ten minutes each way through the back roads. I'm thinking God was preparing me to drive this whole last season, ha. Again, thank you all for your comments, advice and best wishes. Oh and did I mention I'm going to workout while she is at cheer practice and invest in audiobooks for the car ride!

Going off this I think I know what gym your headed to. If it is the gym I'm thinking of there will plenty of youth/junior options for her. I'm guessing them only having up to level 3 is the reason they are so amicable about her leaving, most owners understand that if they don't offer the product you need you should be able to go elsewhere to get it. Look into carpools as well, you may be surprised that there are people traveling from your area to the gym and you end up only having to make the drive once a week (or less). Making it a family trip will help keep it from seeming like you are never home.
My cp's first year cheering I drove her over an hour to CA which was in Garland at the time. Just one year of that was enough. The following year we switched to a gym closer. Yes cp was upset at first and cried the first couple of practices but eventually she was fine. So don't think just because you try it out that you are locked in for life, if after a year it has a bad effect on your family you can always switch back.

If I were living back home I would think nothing of making a drive to Plano or Arlington. Even if that meant mad max driving up 35E. Living in the northern area of the country now where the winters can really add serious drive time I would have to think long and hard about making even an hour long commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since we're on the topic of driving long distances to cheer...
Parents, how far would you let your CP drive themselves to cheer? Is there a point where its too far to have them drive alone?
Assuming I know where you are 'sort of' located I would say either direction you want to head (north into Canada or south) both are terrible options for a new driver. South is bumper to bumper angry drivers and nonstop merging and north is 70Mph and dark roads at night.

17 beginning of season, 18 once competition season starts.

At 16/17 CP and some friends would drive just over 2 hrs each way for weekend practices. School nights were driven by an adult so kids could do homework or sleep. CP and a friend, both 18, just completed a 1,400 mile road trip so maybe I'm not the best person to answer either.

At 16/17 CP and some friends would drive just over 2 hrs each way for weekend practices. School nights were driven by an adult so kids could do homework or sleep. CP and a friend, both 18, just completed a 1,400 mile road trip so maybe I'm not the best person to answer either.

And my dad panicked about me (I'm 22) driving from Kansas City to St. Louis with two friends for a concert [emoji28]

ETA: it's roughly a 4 hour trip.

I am presently starting season 7 of my 2.5 hour each way commute to mega gym.
We started the spring when CP was in 4th grade for the same reasons as @LateKate3 . ( We were looking for level 5 ) Our gym at the time only had up to level 3.
I am so over it.... But CP is not! She has this year and next before she graduates. CP also has maintained great grades as well as a part time job. I have begged her to graduate early to escape 1 year of this driving torture.
It has prevented me from having any type of full time job. It actually is a full time job driving there and back 3 times a week.
My daughter would be absolutley devestated if we pulled her. So to the happy highway I go.
Add this to your points to consider... You can't take it back lol.

I'd say that it has been worth it for you! (You have a daughter on SS, right? I don't know if any parent could pass that up. How do you say no to that if your kid makes the team?)

Thank you to everyone for the comments. I've actually considered everything you guys are saying. To answer some questions...the gym she has been at only has a level 1-3 team. Nothing higher. :( So basically my CP is at the top of the food chain there and wants so much more. She needs to be with other athletes who will challenge and inspire her. She is 10 and trust me I've counted just how many years of driving that could be, lol. My husband and I prayed long and hard about what to do and took everything you guys are saying into account. Practices are on Sunday and one week day (I know there will be more), so we plan on spending the Sunday together traveling as a family. There is so much to do in the big city! She doesn't get carsick, so she will be able to do homework on the way during the week. Her dedication to school (straight A student) and to cheer are so mature...if I had any doubt then there is no way I'd consider driving her that far. One thing to note, last season I had to pick up her teammate for practice on Sunday, long story, but that trip was an hour and ten minutes each way through the back roads. I'm thinking God was preparing me to drive this whole last season, ha. Again, thank you all for your comments, advice and best wishes. Oh and did I mention I'm going to workout while she is at cheer practice and invest in audiobooks for the car ride!

Another important thing to ask yourself:

Sometimes, at Mega Gym, you go from being the Big Fish in the Small Pond, to being the Big Fish in the OCEAN with sharks and a whale.

What you think easily = Level 4 skills might actually be enough to get placed on a Junior/Youth 3 (with possible opportunity to crossover to a Level 4 if your gym uses them) based on that gym's standards. Sort of like how every kid at a Mega Gym with a full or double doesn't end up on Level 5 (some kids are placed on a Level 4. or cross to a 5R because the talent at that level is deep.)

With that in mind, ask yourself if you'd be willing to make that commute if your kid ended up making a lower level team.

Ex: If it's J3 and not Y4, are you still down to drive knowing that this gym is your daughter's dream place and that there is growth potential there? (e.g. she may make Y4 next year if not this year. Or she has the potential to be on a Worlds team in a few years, while your previous gym doesn't have that.)

Worth thinking about.

Last edited:
But don't CEA teams only practice one day a week? That's always brought up when we complain about the crossovers and the burnout of the athletes.. I'm sure it was more leading up to Worlds, but driving down on say Friday and leaving Sunday night if staying with a teammate doesn't seem too horrible if family time/a social life aren't a huge deal.

See also: One day per week is not awful if you have a rotation/carpool.

If you only drive once a month, it's totally doable.

I have even heard of some folks meeting other parents at a half way point in the event that no one in their area drives, so they can catch a carpool at least halfway.

Last edited:
And my dad panicked about me (I'm 22) driving from Kansas City to St. Louis with two friends for a concert [emoji28]

ETA: it's roughly a 4 hour trip.

All different perspectives. Tbh, I would be worried about driving to the concert as well only because of the increased chance of drunk or impaired drivers leaving after the show and concert concerts can attract some really creepy people sometimes

4 hours each way.
@quitthedrama @SL&AM

i was specifically referring to a girl on Senior Elite, i hate mentioning athletes names because its not of high importance of who it is. But she was definitely on SE. Her quote in general was something along the lines of "going to miss the 4 hour drives" and i couldnt figure out if it was round trip 4 hours or each way.
ill give her kudos on making that drive for how ever many days a week, i could not do it at that age and with going to school at the same time. Curiosity gets the best of me and id be curious to know how far of a drive she was making to the other NC gym before.

Sounds like you have made up your mind, and I wish your CP good luck in making the Sr4 team :)
We commuted and here are some things I wish I had thought of, or learned.

It really was expensive..Gas prices have fluctuated so much over the past few years, it was hard to budget. So just keep that in mind. And I have to change the oil in my car once a month. And make sure you have AAA or some sort of roadside assistance. Having car troubles far from home is a nightmare!

We had to do hotel stay overs a lot! Tumbling clinics, extra practices, show offs, etc., all meant not coming home, and sometimes missing school. So be prepared. Plus there were very few local competitions that were actually local for us. On the plus side hotel rewards programs, and Priceline's last minute deals are helpful.

We couldn't really participate in the fundraisers, because they often would cost is more $ to get to then they would make, so I would definitely look for sponsors form the get go.

Make an emergency box for your car: hair ties, brushes, socks, water, toothbrushes, clean underwear( if you unexpectedly have to stay over night), small garbage bags, flashlight, snacks, etc. Maybe even an extra pair of cheer shoes and practice clothes to keep at the gym just in case.
Thanks for the tips. Some I had thought of and some I had not. Seeing CP at the mega gym for tryouts made me sure that the drive will be worth it!
I'd also consider the caliber of student that your child is in any sort of long distance gym driving.

Example:

Kids who are straight A/B kids are going to be okay with (example) leaving 5th period to make it to practice 3 hours away. They're doing well. It's twice per week. They'll get the make up work/any extra help they need and get it done. They can do homework in the car with minimum support because they get what's going on.

In contrast, if you have a 4th grader who is struggling in school, has an F in Math and gets extra help in Reading, you may think twice about driving them 3.5 hours twice per week. They may not be able to do all homework independently in the car. They may actually need you to sit and do it with them, which is going to be murderous when you finally get home at 10:30 pm. Your child may also not be in a position to miss school should you need to pull them to get there on time (e.g. if you pull Suzy twice a week and it is always during her Reading help block, cheer may negatively impact school.)

All of that to say, know your kids and know what their needs are academically.
She is a straight A student...and knows the expectations for grades remain the same. :)

@quitthedrama @SL&AM

i was specifically referring to a girl on Senior Elite, i hate mentioning athletes names because its not of high importance of who it is. But she was definitely on SE. Her quote in general was something along the lines of "going to miss the 4 hour drives" and i couldnt figure out if it was round trip 4 hours or each way.
ill give her kudos on making that drive for how ever many days a week, i could not do it at that age and with going to school at the same time. Curiosity gets the best of me and id be curious to know how far of a drive she was making to the other NC gym before.

@mstealtoyou since you are with this program are you able to offer any insight to the question

Another important thing to ask yourself:

Sometimes, at Mega Gym, you go from being the Big Fish in the Small Pond, to being the Big Fish in the OCEAN with sharks and a whale.

What you think easily = Level 4 skills might actually be enough to get placed on a Junior/Youth 3 (with possible opportunity to crossover to a Level 4 if your gym uses them) based on that gym's standards. Sort of like how every kid at a Mega Gym with a full or double doesn't end up on Level 5 (some kids are placed on a Level 4. or cross to a 5R because the talent at that level is deep.)

With that in mind, ask yourself if you'd be willing to make that commute if your kid ended up making a lower level team.

Ex: If it's J3 and not Y4, are you still down to drive knowing that this gym is your daughter's dream place and that there is growth potential there? (e.g. she may make Y4 next year if not this year. Or she has the potential to be on a Worlds team in a few years, while your previous gym doesn't have that.)

Worth thinking about.
I actually considered this as well. During tryouts she did all level 5 skills (with the exception of a standing full), so I feel confident that she will make a level 4 team. Which is what she wants...she doesn't want to skip any levels. I don't care if it is youth, junior or senior...she is age eligible for any of them. We made a compromise with her and her coaches at the original gym that if she made a level 4 team she could go to mega gym, if she made a level 3 she would stay at current gym. She feels confident that tryouts went well. Now it is just a waiting game until the 19th.

Back