All-Star Usasf Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In my experience uniofrm companies may have the ability to add extra length to the sleave, top, or skirt, but getting the rep to agree to it is like pulling teeth. My cp is long and thin. Anything that will fit her width wise will be too short. I would gladly pay extra money to get a uniform with sleaves that are the correct length but have yet to have that option given to me. When I asked about the possibility the last time we got uniforms (from Varsity), I was told by the rep it wasn't an option. (The year the gym had GK uniforms, they fit like a glove.)

Alisha -

No problem. Amanda is amazing! I am glad everything went smooth with your order and fitting!!! Not all of my fittings are horrible. Ive had some pretty smooth ones. Typically its that "one mom per gym" type situation that all goes smooth except that one mom weasels in to cause a ruckus!
Can you define the ruckus, sir?

Can you define the ruckus, sir?

I have worked and been sizing for GK for a little under three years. I was actually the first cheer rep ever hired. Anyway, that aside - I feel pretty confident that I can eye ball a kid who is up next for sizing and be pretty dead on. I am not 100%, but out of 100 kids, I would say I am right on at about 85 of them from eyeball alone. I had this one mom come with her kid to get a sized. I gave her what I thought was her size and she went to the bathroom to change into it. The mom came back out with her daughter (who was probably 12-13ish) and said that it didnt fit. She said the crop top was so tight her daughter could barely breathe and that it felt red marks indented in her skin it was so tight. The daughter was almost in TEARS, mind you. Anyway, I was shocked that I would have gave someone a uniform THAT mis-judged, but regardless, the mom asked for the next size up, and I catered to it. The daughter came out and the skirt was so long it looked like a Rec Cheerleading Skirt and the top was BARELY staying on her shoulders. I tried explaining to the mom that this size was OBVIOUSLY too big and showed her the key points of where we wanted it to be nice and fit. This particular gyms uniform was a custom design and had some cut outs in the back and shoulder so it needed to fit nice around the shoulders. I also explained about the skirt being too loose as it was going to almost fall below her hips. This mom was going around to other parents saying that her daughter got mis-sized, and its too tight she can't breathe, etc. I finally told this mom that I would pay for it if it didnt fit. She went and put on the one that was "cutting off circulation and leaving red marks" and it fit beautifully.

I hope I never come off ignorant at sizings. Not to brag, but typically parents that come to me and say "this is too small" or "I need this shortened or lengthened" I entertain them and allow their daughter to try the next size up. Typically they are end up saying "You were right, I am sorry" I would hope I would never ignore a parent and it was like "pulling teeth" to get anything done. I will say though, as I know many parents, esp. ones on here, know what they are talking about, I feel I have delt with ones that have no idea. GK Uniforms DO fit like a glove as someone else mentioned. Our sizers are TOP NOTCH when it comes to sizing and how they actually fit.

I must say, gym owners are very trustworthy of me and typically have my back with decisions. When I am wrong, Ill own up to it, but me personally, I have a pretty good track record with my sizings.

I have worked and been sizing for GK for a little under three years. I was actually the first cheer rep ever hired. Anyway, that aside - I feel pretty confident that I can eye ball a kid who is up next for sizing and be pretty dead on. I am not 100%, but out of 100 kids, I would say I am right on at about 85 of them from eyeball alone. I had this one mom come with her kid to get a sized. I gave her what I thought was her size and she went to the bathroom to change into it. The mom came back out with her daughter (who was probably 12-13ish) and said that it didnt fit. She said the crop top was so tight her daughter could barely breathe and that it felt red marks indented in her skin it was so tight. The daughter was almost in TEARS, mind you. Anyway, I was shocked that I would have gave someone a uniform THAT mis-judged, but regardless, the mom asked for the next size up, and I catered to it. The daughter came out and the skirt was so long it looked like a Rec Cheerleading Skirt and the top was BARELY staying on her shoulders. I tried explaining to the mom that this size was OBVIOUSLY too big and showed her the key points of where we wanted it to be nice and fit. This particular gyms uniform was a custom design and had some cut outs in the back and shoulder so it needed to fit nice around the shoulders. I also explained about the skirt being too loose as it was going to almost fall below her hips. This mom was going around to other parents saying that her daughter got mis-sized, and its too tight she can't breathe, etc. I finally told this mom that I would pay for it if it didnt fit. She went and put on the one that was "cutting off circulation and leaving red marks" and it fit beautifully.

I hope I never come off ignorant at sizings. Not to brag, but typically parents that come to me and say "this is too small" or "I need this shortened or lengthened" I entertain them and allow their daughter to try the next size up. Typically they are end up saying "You were right, I am sorry" I would hope I would never ignore a parent and it was like "pulling teeth" to get anything done. I will say though, as I know many parents, esp. ones on here, know what they are talking about, I feel I have delt with ones that have no idea. GK Uniforms DO fit like a glove as someone else mentioned. Our sizers are TOP NOTCH when it comes to sizing and how they actually fit.

I must say, gym owners are very trustworthy of me and typically have my back with decisions. When I am wrong, Ill own up to it, but me personally, I have a pretty good track record with my sizings.
You make me giggle......or feel really old....

Every time I hear the word "ruckus" I immediately think of that line (can you define the ruckus, sir) from the Breakfast Club.

I think I just dated myself.

I fully believe that you can probably size 85 out of 100 right the first time, but as a mom of one of the 15 kids who is TOUGH to fit, I prefer to be there when my kid is fitted. I know her issues and what is more likely to work based on years of experience with cheer and dance, and not all reps are as good as you are. Some, more than many would care to admit, want to just shove a kid in the closest standard size and move on. That has never worked for CP. I have gotten some truly AWFUL fits when I wasn't there. I would much rather be there and be ure we got the best possible fit that to have to pray it fits when it gets here, or sendit back when it doesn't. I have had more than one unwearable dance outfit or cheer uniform. I know it would be easier to just fit without the parent, but really, you save yourself a lot of fallout hen something doesn't fit later by letting them check the fit.

I fully believe that you can probably size 85 out of 100 right the first time, but as a mom of one of the 15 kids who is TOUGH to fit, I prefer to be there when my kid is fitted. I know her issues and what is more likely to work based on years of experience with cheer and dance, and not all reps are as good as you are. Some, more than many would care to admit, want to just shove a kid in the closest standard size and move on. That has never worked for CP. I have gotten some truly AWFUL fits when I wasn't there. I would much rather be there and be ure we got the best possible fit that to have to pray it fits when it gets here, or sendit back when it doesn't. I have had more than one unwearable dance outfit or cheer uniform. I know it would be easier to just fit without the parent, but really, you save yourself a lot of fallout hen something doesn't fit later by letting them check the fit.

I totally understand parents know their kids better than I do. And I don't mind parents asking/saying/etc things like "Do you think its too short in the back" "Do you think we could try a size up to make sure it will last 2-3 years as Suzy hasn't had her growth spurt yet" so on and so forth, but to have your daughters breasts practically falling out because its so loose claiming the last one cut off circulation and left red marks is crazy. Its a respect issue. Hear me out on why one or the other is a better fit, and I will hear you out on why you think another is a fit. I will typically just respond "I totally understand your concerns, but you are the one paying. My preference and experience is to get the Adult Small, but if you think the Adult Medium is a better fit, I will order that one for you. However, I will tell you I think it will be too loose and the straps across the back won't lay flat. We do have a four way stretch in all of our GK Fabrics so even if Suzy grows rapidly, while some areas would grow snug in two years, it wouldn't be unbearable or to the point she wouldn't fit." Ultimately I would then call the gym owner over to help with the situation.

The other problem I tend to run into, is a lot of my customers this year have been Varsity customers. GK has a much different style, fit and make of uniforms compared to other companies. GK has an athletic fit that conforms with the motion of the body and is to lay snug against the body. Other uniform companies sometimes have a "boxy" or "loose" feel. A lot of people have struggled trusting my judgement with this different feel, but have been absolutely satisfied.

I totally understand parents know their kids better than I do. And I don't mind parents asking/saying/etc things like "Do you think its too short in the back" "Do you think we could try a size up to make sure it will last 2-3 years as Suzy hasn't had her growth spurt yet" so on and so forth, but to have your daughters breasts practically falling out because its so loose claiming the last one cut off circulation and left red marks is crazy. Its a respect issue. Hear me out on why one or the other is a better fit, and I will hear you out on why you think another is a fit. I will typically just respond "I totally understand your concerns, but you are the one paying. My preference and experience is to get the Adult Small, but if you think the Adult Medium is a better fit, I will order that one for you. However, I will tell you I think it will be too loose and the straps across the back won't lay flat. We do have a four way stretch in all of our GK Fabrics so even if Suzy grows rapidly, while some areas would grow snug in two years, it wouldn't be unbearable or to the point she wouldn't fit." Ultimately I would then call the gym owner over to help with the situation.

The other problem I tend to run into, is a lot of my customers this year have been Varsity customers. GK has a much different style, fit and make of uniforms compared to other companies. GK has an athletic fit that conforms with the motion of the body and is to lay snug against the body. Other uniform companies sometimes have a "boxy" or "loose" feel. A lot of people have struggled trusting my judgement with this different feel, but have been absolutely satisfied.
Absolutely, there needs to be respect on both sides. That is what I am saying, absolutely. Coach, parent, and company rep need to all be respectful and work together. I just think that cutting the parent completely out of the equation doesn't do anything to foster respect. It says that "we don't care what you think" and " you cannot possibly know what is best or your kid better than us" , and "we just dont want to deal with you" wether that is the intended message or not. Parents absolutely do not have the right to run the fitting or run over the rep or coach, but think they deserve the right to be there and ask questions.

What about super super small ones for the little ones?! I have to get mine altered (my daughter's that is).

What about super super small ones for the little ones?! I have to get mine altered (my daughter's that is).

Super small ones (CXS and CS) vary based on the childs shape, etc. Its hard to get a perfect fit. I usually size them looser as they will grow fast than say a 17 year old Senior. Small ones I typically get the parents input. I show them when I sized them up and also show them where the growing room is.

Super small ones (CXS and CS) vary based on the childs shape, etc. Its hard to get a perfect fit. I usually size them looser as they will grow fast than say a 17 year old Senior. Small ones I typically get the parents input. I show them when I sized them up and also show them where the growing room is.
My CP is usually a CM, but we run into fit problems as well. She is tiny, but has definite hips and is tiny in the waist and chest. Standard kids sizes are just too boxy. Her skirts always gap in the waist and have to be taken in, and full tops never fit in the chest/ upper body and lay correctly over the hip. Crop tos were easier, but unfortunately they are not going to be an option any longer. Do GK uniforms do better than Varsity as far as these kinds of fit issues, our is it just something that in universally a problem?

I was surprised with the final guidelines that given that Seniors will still be allowed half tops that they did not put more details as into length of half top. I guess that falls under the other guidelines as into appropriateness - but given that they did for skirts and having seen one too many teeny weeny half tops including on Seniors might have been helpful to some teams to give them a minimum because some teams apparently need that much guidance - have seen my fair share of wardrobe malfunctions and not only on those more well endowed girls. But personally very happy with USASF rules

You make me giggle......or feel really old....

Every time I hear the word "ruckus" I immediately think of that line (can you define the ruckus, sir) from the Breakfast Club.

I think I just dated myself.
dont even worry about it im only 18 and got it right away ;) (thank goodness my mother showed me all her lovely 80's films john huges was simply a brilliant man)

My CP is usually a CM, but we run into fit problems as well. She is tiny, but has definite hips and is tiny in the waist and chest. Standard kids sizes are just too boxy. Her skirts always gap in the waist and have to be taken in, and full tops never fit in the chest/ upper body and lay correctly over the hip. Crop tos were easier, but unfortunately they are not going to be an option any longer. Do GK uniforms do better than Varsity as far as these kinds of fit issues, our is it just something that in universally a problem?

Ive never seen a GK Uniform look too boxy on someone. In my honest opinion, I do feel GK has the best fit!