All-Star What Team Are You Or Your Cp On?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Level 1 kids on 4.2?
This is what my sister's gym did last season. There were no junior or senior level 1 or 2s in the gym. Anyone junior aged or above without tumbling made the senior 4.2 team. The coaches like to do that to push the stunting skills, making the transition easier when/if they eventually move up in levels.

I admit I was skeptical too. They started the year with probably five or six girls without tumbling and struggling to hit libs, and ended the season with only one or two girls without back handsprings - along with switch ups, full ups to the top and 1.5 to prep. And placed third at the Summit, so I'd say it was a successful year!

Last edited:
Level 1 kids on 4.2?

Yes, CheerKT described it best.

This is what my sister's gym did last season. There were no junior or senior level 1 or 2s in the gym. Anyone junior aged or above without tumbling made the senior 4.2 team. The coaches like to do that to push the stunting skills, making the transition easier when/if they eventually move up in levels.

I admit I was skeptical too. They started the year with probably five or six girls without tumbling and struggling to hit libs, and ended the season with only one or two girls without back handsprings - along with switch ups, full ups to the top and 1.5 to prep. And placed third at the Summit, so I'd say it was a successful year!

I guess it could work. The tumbling aspect wouldn't concern me as much as having inexperienced flyers/bases attempting Level 4 stunts. Although I think Level 4 basing seems to be more feasible to me for a Level 1 kid to learn and progress in than flying.

It just seems odd to me that such a large gym is plugging new kids in at such a high level rather than at the very least, a Senior 2 if nothing else. Is every new kid (as in never cheered before and has Level 1 or even no skills) at CEA placed Level 3 or higher?

Any other gyms placing Level 1 kids on 3, 4, or 4.2?

I can totally see that some kids can come in and pick up skills at that level in no time (especially younger kids) but what about those who can't?

I guess it could work. The tumbling aspect wouldn't concern me as much as having inexperienced flyers/bases attempting Level 4 stunts. Although I think Level 4 basing seems to be more feasible to me for a Level 1 kid to learn and progress in than flying.

It just seems odd to me that such a large gym is plugging new kids in at such a high level rather than at the very least, a Senior 2 if nothing else. Is every new kid (as in never cheered before and has Level 1 or even no skills) at CEA placed Level 3 or higher?

When I started cheer (in high school) I basically went from nothing to basing/backing extended one-legged stunts. It's definitely possible.

Any other gyms placing Level 1 kids on 3, 4, or 4.2?

I can totally see that some kids can come in and pick up skills at that level in no time (especially younger kids) but what about those who can't?
There was a definite learning curve for them. It was a little sketchy for a while (I think I've posted before that their showcase was ROUGH). But with the right combination of team members, coaches and dedication they came around. I wasn't at every practice, but I don't think any basics were skipped. They tried to fly my sister a few times at the beginning of the year and I remember there being preps and press up extensions involved. Personally, she went from a Youth 1 to a Senior 4.2 so we knew it was going to be an adventure from the get go. Lots of extra practices and staying late to nail down a stunt. My sister is "taking a year off" (sadly) but most of the girls from that team moved to level 3 I believe, and I know having that stunt background is going to be super helpful for that team.

just out of curiosity, where would junior and senior kids with level 1 skills go if they tried out for cheer extreme kernersville?

I'm not a coach either. By any stretch of the imagination. However we have a Jr 2 Enchanted and a Sr Coed 3 team. Not sure what the chances are for a new to Allstar kid making 4.2. Level 4 stunting for a beginner might not be an ideal situation.

Back