All-Star 19 Year Old Gym Owner Needs Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have the same problem in our gym, the "kids " sign up in August, they know we will probably go to Worlds, they do not fundraise a penny all year and then come march, "I don't know how I am going to pay for Worlds, can anyone help me?" Every year the same kids!(young adults)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Young adults perfectly capable of picking up a couple extra shifts at work or taking some time to fundraise. You know the costs going in. If you can't afford it, don't sign up. Cheering isn't required, it's a voluntary extracurricular. I had several friends get handed hundreds through their Worlds gofundme, then saw them posting pictures of their brand new high end wallets/purses they bought the week before Worlds. Seriouslyyyyy?

You could go on GoFundMe a couple weeks before Worlds and there were HUNDREDS of accounts of cheerleaders asking for Worlds money.

Last edited:
Young adults perfectly capable of picking up a couple extra shifts at work or taking some time to fundraise. You know the costs going in. If you can't afford it, don't sign up. Cheering isn't required, it's a voluntary extracurricular. I had several friends get handed hundreds through their Worlds gofundme, then saw them posting pictures of their brand new high end wallets/purses they bought the week before Worlds. Seriouslyyyyy?

You could go on GoFundMe a couple weeks before Worlds and there were HUNDREDS of accounts of cheerleaders asking for Worlds money.
It is called being lazy and disrespectful when u ask for help but then buy stuff u don't really need!

I think you guys are forgetting something: She's 19 and trying to do this on her own. A bank is not going to lend her money. Daliana (her mom) allows her web space and floor space. Their parents and kids are doing fundraising as well. Everything the gym has done, from uniforms, USASF training, practice wear, skills training, competitions registration to you name it; she set up while she was in HS. But, she ran into a snag and her parents are not helping her, they're allowing her to work it out on her own.

Hallie used to cheer for CEA. I think hearing that CSP started the gym at 17 inspired her to do the same.

I am not forgetting her age. It is not an excuse but it is an obstacle but one she was well aware of, as were her parents, when she started down this road. Her parents can go to a business bank and sign the loan she can then enter a legal agreement with them in writing to pay it back. I paid for graduate school by doing this with my parents, and it was my idea because as someone making adult decisions about my future I chose to take responsibility for the money. When my brother turned around asking to borrow money he was PO that they made him put it in writing and make it legal. So it is very much possible that she can do this. If her parents are not able or willing to cosign on a loan it does not mean that she does not have options of other adult investors (at 19 she is considered an adult and can make legal documents even if a bank won't touch her). Go fund me is an easy out asking for something from strangers. If her business is that strong and there are grown adults with money who recognize and appreciate her business skills and ability to run a cheer gym then she should approach one of them to be a partner or ask them to cosign a loan. There is also a possibility, because she has her business, to use it as collateral that she very well could get a loan on her own. At this point she should have some sort of line of credit in the gym name for all the things she has previously paid for (uniforms, registrations for comps etc) having a clean credit history is a first step and I would say having done what she has done so far would make her a better candidate that many people much older than herself

Last edited:

my favorite was actually a level 6 team nearby (like the kind of level 6 that's really level 3/4 with a back tuck basket thrown in) set up a gofundme to help get them to worlds... before they ever got a bid. they ended up never getting a bid so where'd that money go? (if they got any, I didn't follow that closely, just giggled when I saw it)

I think you guys are forgetting something: She's 19 and trying to do this on her own. A bank is not going to lend her money. Daliana (her mom) allows her web space and floor space. Their parents and kids are doing fundraising as well. Everything the gym has done, from uniforms, USASF training, practice wear, skills training, competitions registration to you name it; she set up while she was in HS. But, she ran into a snag and her parents are not helping her, they're allowing her to work it out on her own.
Hallie used to cheer for CEA. I think hearing that CSP started the gym at 17 inspired her to do the same.

It is the beginning of the cheer season, she is in college, and she is in need of $20,000 (amount on GoFundMe). That's a relatively small business snag, however, there are too many red flags here for a bank loan or an investor. It sounds as though her parents have been very generous with their space and website, they both look fabulous. I love the fact she is young and has a dream, but as an investor, she has been in business a few years, she's 19, she is in college, she has hit an undisclosed "snag" and asking for money on a charity site. My suggestion is either take a break from school and get a job to bankroll the "snag", or with it being the beginning of the season, take a year off from the cheer business and get a job to bankroll the "snag".

Her parents have a reason for wanting her to work this out on her own.

my favorite was actually a level 6 team nearby (like the kind of level 6 that's really level 3/4 with a back tuck basket thrown in) set up a gofundme to help get them to worlds... before they ever got a bid. they ended up never getting a bid so where'd that money go? (if they got any, I didn't follow that closely, just giggled when I saw it)

I even saw spectators asking for money. I don't get it! Not going to Worlds is a thing.... I went 4 years straight then when I couldn't afford it I stopped going. It sucked seeing all my friends down there having fun but that's part of growing up, making grown up choices. I understand unforeseen circumstances arise sometimes but that "unforeseen circumstance" can't be you deciding to come out of retirement when a team asks you to fill in.

Last edited:
I get that she wants to go to college and run the gym but if you are a Kinesiology Major, why are you putting all your effort and money into a cheer gym you just started?
tumblr_mf5n2cX64n1rbrm08o1_500.gif

So in the first post, it says she "is no longer able to run this self ran business" by herself. In the Go fund me thing, it says she wants a tumble track. Those are 2 COMPLETELY different things. Which is it?

If she just wants a table track, she needs to have those kids fundraise the same way all kids fundraise for a tumble track.

If she actually cannot make ends meet as a business, she needs an investor and an advisor. Otherwise, as @Cheer Dad said, how is she going to use the money? What is she going to do in 6 months when it's gone?

And here's my last unsolicited advice: she needs someone to proofread that go fund me thing. There are a lot of spelling and grammar errors, which I wouldn't care about from a 19 year old usually, but she's asking for money as a business owner. My expectations are higher for that.

I agree the spelling mistakes were horrible and led me not to take her seriously as a business person. Spell check works on all computers.

Personal fave:

Looking at GoFundMe, then seeing said child with new sportsbras/bows every other practice.

Um. Instead of GoFundMe, GoPutSomeofthat$YouSpendOnBows&BrasinYourPOCKET

I am so over GoFundMe's....I saw one the other day asking for money so they could buy a house. I LOLed hysterically. Yeahhhh, how bout you get a job and I'll save money to buy MY OWN HOUSE!!!
I would have DIED. ugh

I wish this girl success but the sad reality is most new businesses fail for lack of capital and underestimating expenses.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned
Very much agree. And any business will fail if management skills are lacking and there is no business plan.

Back