All-Star 2012-2013 Changes To The Usasf Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It doesn't make sense to turn 14 for something after it happens
It would be for eligibility for the following year. Pretty sure there's a typo and should have been December 31, 2012 for the 2013 Worlds. But the IO bottom age is being increased to 15 anyway for the 2012-13 season...16 for the 2013-14 season...17 for the 2014-15 season where as of now it seems it will stay. So turning 14 by December 31, 2012 would still not make that athlete eligible to compete on an IO5 team at the 2013 Worlds.

It doesn't make sense to turn 14 for something after it happens
It would be for eligibility for the following year. Pretty sure there's a typo and should have been December 31, 2012 for the 2013 Worlds. But the IO bottom age is being increased to 15 anyway for the 2012-13 season...16 for the 2013-14 season...17 for the 2014-15 season where as of now it seems it will stay. So turning 14 by December 31, 2012 would still not make that athlete eligible to compete on an IO5 team at the 2013 Worlds.

don't think it's a typo. it is the "year of competition." so, for worlds 2013, you must turn 14 at some point during that year... even if it is after the competition.

at least that's how the rule was explained to me.. correct me if i'm wrong.

don't think it's a typo. it is the "year of competition." so, for worlds 2013, you must turn 14 at some point during that year... even if it is after the competition.

Wow, that is strange. And that was only for the non-US IO5 teams, correct?:banghead:

Wow, that is strange. And that was only for the non-US IO5 teams, correct?:banghead:

Not only that, but US IO5 teams have a minimum age of 15. So, let's say you have two athletes, one US and one international, both born on Sept 1. The first year the US athlete would be eligible, she'd compete at Worlds as a 16 year old (she would be 15 on Aug 31). The first time the international athlete would be eligible, she'd compete at Worlds as a 13 year old (she would turn 14 before 31 December).

It's not a typo. That's the rule, and that was the rule this year for international teams too.

Not only that, but US IO5 teams have a minimum age of 15. So, let's say you have two athletes, one US and one international, both born on Sept 1. The first year the US athlete would be eligible, she'd compete at Worlds as a 16 year old (she would be 15 on Aug 31). The first time the international athlete would be eligible, she'd compete at Worlds as a 13 year old (she would turn 14 before 31 December).
This is precisely what is frustrating so many people, the different standards and rules for US versus non-US IO5 teams. And the inconsistency of responses by the rule makers when the age grid is violated.

It applies to US IO5 teams as well or just non-US?

I want to say it applied to US teams this year at worlds (Dec. 31, 2012). But ONLY for worlds, so I can't imagine too many US teams took advantage of it.

Next year I believe it only applies to non-US teams. So for level 6, a 15 year old who turns 16 in September is ineligible in the US, but eligible on an international team because he or she will be 17 before Dec. 31, 2013 (the year of worlds).

The same rule is in Olympic gymnastics. Have to turn 16 the year of to be eligible.

I want to say it applied to US teams this year at worlds (Dec. 31, 2012). But ONLY for worlds, so I can't imagine too many US teams took advantage of it.

Next year I believe it only applies to non-US teams. So for level 6, a 15 year old who turns 16 in September is ineligible in the US, but eligible on an international team because he or she will be 17 before Dec. 31, 2013 (the year of worlds).
I'm wondering if this applied to US teams last year as well. There's a team who I thought was illegal last year as they had an athlete who turned 14 just 2 months before Worlds on their IO Coed team, but maybe she was legal after all? Hmmmm.....

I'm wondering if this applied to US teams last year as well. There's a team who I thought was illegal last year as they had an athlete who turned 14 just 2 months before Worlds on their IO Coed team, but maybe she was legal after all? Hmmmm.....

Yes, this athlete should have been legal to compete this year at Worlds in IOC5.

http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM2//Worlds/2012_Cheer_Worlds_Registration.pdf

NEW: Competitor’s Age - “Year of the Competition” - ALL
International Open Divisions (Levels 5 & 6) will follow the ICU
World Cheerleading Championships age requirement (known as
the “International Standard”) for determining the required age of a
competitor. This standard is followed in most sports around the
globe. The age of a competitor will be determined based on the
date of birth falling during the “year of the competition.” Example:
A competitor who turns 14 up until December 31, 2012 will be
eligible to compete at the 2012 Worlds in an International Open
Level 5 Division.

OK this is a little random but I've always wondered why the cut off ages are the way they are... Since 18 is the cut off for senior (and the one that makes the most sense) shouldn't the cut offs be in even increments, say every 3 years?
Example:
Senior: 18 and under (or 10 or 12 depending on level)
Junior: 15 and under
Youth: 12 and under
Mini: 9 and under
Tiny: 6 and under

With the age cutoffs like this you would have to be 13 to be on a senior 5 team, which in my experience makes more sense. There are not a lot of 18 year olds who are dying to be on a team with 12 year olds (potentially 11 all through camp).

I have heard more and more that all changes are due to safety. If you want to increase safety why not allow these kids 1 more year at each age division? Why is everyone (usasf, coaches, PARENTS) so focused on getting their athlete on a senior team? I know there are a lot of talented little ones but in my opinion you don't have to be on a Worlds team at 12... be a on a bomb jr or youth team, be a "big kid" and have something to look forward to.

I come from a small gym (this is our first season) and I LOVE the 10 bottom age for senior (1-4). I actually wish it was 12! In my opinion, there is no need for anyone 10 and under to be on a senior team. I don't care how talented you are, do a solo or stunt group! Welcome back senior flyers that know how to do proper motions, we've been waiting for you!

sorry rant OVER:p

Yeah according to the IASF post the non-US teams are Dec 2013 but the US teams are Aug 2012.

Yes she was legal for worlds only (2012 worlds only). If she was 13 and competed with them to get their bid though then she was illegal at those competitions.

Yeah according to the IASF post the non-US teams are Dec 2013 but the US teams are Aug 2012.

Yes she was legal for worlds only (2012 worlds only). If she was 13 and competed with them to get their bid though then she was illegal at those competitions.
This was for 2011 Worlds. And I think they actually did not compete with them until they got their bid.

Back