All-Star 2012-2013 Changes To The Usasf Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

OK this is a little random but I've always wondered why the cut off ages are the way they are... Since 18 is the cut off for senior (and the one that makes the most sense) shouldn't the cut offs be in even increments, say every 3 years?
Example:
Senior: 18 and under (or 10 or 12 depending on level)
Junior: 15 and under
Youth: 12 and under
Mini: 9 and under
Tiny: 6 and under

With the age cutoffs like this you would have to be 13 to be on a senior 5 team, which in my experience makes more sense. There are not a lot of 18 year olds who are dying to be on a team with 12 year olds (potentially 11 all through camp).

I have heard more and more that all changes are due to safety. If you want to increase safety why not allow these kids 1 more year at each age division? Why is everyone (usasf, coaches, PARENTS) so focused on getting their athlete on a senior team? I know there are a lot of talented little ones but in my opinion you don't have to be on a Worlds team at 12... be a on a bomb jr or youth team, be a "big kid" and have something to look forward to.

I come from a small gym (this is our first season) and I LOVE the 10 bottom age for senior (1-4). I actually wish it was 12! In my opinion, there is no need for anyone 10 and under to be on a senior team. I don't care how talented you are, do a solo or stunt group! Welcome back senior flyers that know how to do proper motions, we've been waiting for you!

sorry rant OVER:p

While I don't necessarily agree with everything you said I agree with most of it and I have been thinking the same thing about the ages for year, I've thought why are the breaks not in increments of 3 years, 6,9,12,15,and 18 just as you said. It would make so much more sense! Probably easier to remember to:p

While I don't necessarily agree with everything you said I agree with most of it and I have been thinking the same thing about the ages for year, I've thought why are the breaks not in increments of 3 years, 6,9,12,15,and 18 just as you said. It would make so much more sense! Probably easier to remember to:p

That was the point I was making... I kind of went off an a tangent! I blame team placements and lack of sleep :)

That was the point I was making... I kind of went off an a tangent! I blame team placements and lack of sleep :)

Probably why I didn't 100% agree with the entire rant, lol, In theory I agree but with our placements we always have a handful of older kids pulling a team up to senior age rather then 1 or 2 younger ones pushing to be on that team lol Oh and that lack of sleep thing happening rite here:rolleyes:

OK this is a little random but I've always wondered why the cut off ages are the way they are... Since 18 is the cut off for senior (and the one that makes the most sense) shouldn't the cut offs be in even increments, say every 3 years?
Example:

i actually agree with your ages. while some kids would be crushed to be stuck on a junior team for another year, i think these ages could potentially help smaller gyms.

for developing gyms, it seems to be a trend that they are bottom heavy, both in ages and levels. when the senior cutoff was created as 10, many people complained that their one exceptional 7 year old couldn't be on the appropriate senior team, or their one 15 year old was too old for the appropriate level-junior team.

maybe i'm wrong and this would make it harder for small gyms... but everyone under 15 could be on the same team seems like it would help.

then again, i'm not a gym owner so what do i know :p

Reactions: VTX
Example:

With the age cutoffs like this you would have to be 13 to be on a senior 5 team, which in my experience makes more sense. There are not a lot of 18 year olds who are dying to be on a team with 12 year olds (potentially 11 all through camp).

I have heard more and more that all changes are due to safety. If you want to increase safety why not allow these kids 1 more year at each age division? Why is everyone (usasf, coaches, PARENTS) so focused on getting their athlete on a senior team? I know there are a lot of talented little ones but in my opinion you don't have to be on a Worlds team at 12... be a on a bomb jr or youth team, be a "big kid" and have something to look forward to.

I come from a small gym (this is our first season) and I LOVE the 10 bottom age for senior (1-4). I actually wish it was 12! In my opinion, there is no need for anyone 10 and under to be on a senior team. I don't care how talented you are, do a solo or stunt group! Welcome back senior flyers that know how to do proper motions, we've been waiting for you!

sorry rant OVER:p
YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO MAKE SENSE!!!!

So happy to see this as well as no crossovers from all star to all star prep to stack a team. Our former gym used to compete their half year teams under all star rec and then little by little add many of their full year all stars onto their rec teams to ensure a higher chance of winning. If I had been a parent of a rec kid on that team I would have been pissed.
This was a rule for some Jambrand events I went to this year, and it was ignored. Gyms not only had multiple crossovers from full year teams, even from higher levels, I even saw full year TEAMS compete as all star prep and even as Rec. Sadly, sandbagging has been worse than ever with this new division.

Les tweeted:

@Lesstella: Final version of Age Grid is up. No changes for bottom age on Sr teams or IO5. However IO5 teams can use the IASF Grid when attending Worlds

So it's back to age as of the year worlds takes place?

Les tweeted:

@Lesstella: Final version of Age Grid is up. No changes for bottom age on Sr teams or IO5. However IO5 teams can use the IASF Grid when attending Worlds

So it's back to age as of the year worlds takes place?

In short, yes. We just got word of this. My oldest daughter will now be able to compete at Worlds only with the team assuming they get a bid. From what we were told it is the same age grid as last year...... for IO5 only.

Back