All-Star 2012 Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes, making all these size changes sound good in theory, but in practice very few are able to put it into practice.

1. Design multiple teams of very large size with multiple athletes
3. Profit!

It is not places 1-5 that these rules are designed to help, it is places 6 - 400. Because 6 - 400 being healthy, strong, in business is what creates an industry for 1 - 5 to compete in. If Rays, CEA, ACE, CA (both of them) WC disappeared tomorrow would allstar cheer go away? If everyone I DIDNT mention disappeared what the heck would we do?

I had a conversation with a very respected gym owner who has been in the cheer world longer than alot of you have been alive. I asked him what his perspective on the whole idea of changing the numbers of kids in the divisions. He made such a good point and I thought I would share it.

He says (and I am using numbers just for easy math) If I have a team of 20 - and they pay 100 per month for 10 months - then from that team my gym is netting 20000. I have to pay 2 coaches for that team. If I have a team of 36 and they pay 100 per month then I am netting 36000 and I have to pay 2 coaches. In other words having large teams is more profitable than having small teams. So, if medium is the new large - then the gym loses money - assuming the kids will go other places to be on a worlds team. Profit is not a bad thing - and a profitable gym is a lot happier place to be!

I thought this is a cool example to provide. It helps show there are many perspectives to this (as with all) discussion. They are all a matter of your gym's situation and perspective.

Ok, just to make sure my intent is clear on this subject...
@ShutItDown said: "such as T&S and other large limited teams could add girls and be large all girl. now i feel like this medium division is taking away from something good that they have done to make this even." -- T&S NEVER starts their season with a team larger than 27-28 kids on it, ever. We are a medium sized gym with 150-180 athletes. This season we had the following (this is our main and biggest location):
Mini 2 - 12 kids
Youth 2 - started with 21, ended with like 28ish.
Youth 4 - 20 kids
Junior 3 - started with 20, dropped to like 16ish, then combined them with senior 2 to make a large junior 3 with 26 or so kids, then RIGHT before NCA we added more to have like 34-35.
Junior 5 - 20 kids
Senior 2 - 10ish kids, ended up combining them with junior 3 and putting the 1 senior aged kid on senior 4.
Senior 4 - 20 kids
Senior Coed 5 - started with 26-27 kids, filled the team later in the season when going for a bid
T&S has had many large limited teams the past few years. there was talk that they may go large senior last summer, idk whether that was true or not. but if you have a large limited with 36 athletes, even though you always start with 27 and fill it later, you dont think t&s could get 30 for an all girl? since this medium is happening im changing my stance from keeping large at 36 to large at 30 give or take.
*my mistake, i always thought of t&s as a large gym. only used you as an example because of the large all girl rumors, then you went large limited.

@ShutItDown -- I knew you weren't trying to say anything bad about T&S, but since you used us as an example, I wanted to show everyone WHY 36 doesn't work well for us. ;) And had we went large all girl this past season, we still would've started out with 26 or so girls and would've stayed there until December-ish. THEN the owner starts trying to find kids to fill the team from school teams, past T&S cheerleaders, etc. Oh, and I WISH we were a large gym. lol ;)

Just saw the first part of your post -- Yes, whether all girl or coed, having the medium division at 30 will help us TREMENDOUSLY!!! :)

just another thought: it will be SUPER easy for international AG teams to go medium all girl next year. 24 vs 25??? pretty simple transition, only one more person. granted, that is only in the cases of gyms with international teams where all members are high school age eligible (plus "super seniors"). could add a potential competitive twist

just another thought: it will be SUPER easy for international AG teams to go medium all girl next year. 24 vs 25??? pretty simple transition, only one more person. granted, that is only in the cases of gyms with international teams where all members are high school age eligible (plus "super seniors"). could add a potential competitive twist

I don't see how it would be super easy for Rockstar considering 20 out of my 24 girls are in College, and most are too old to compete in Senior divisions. I bet Gym Tyme has mostly college girls as well. Only teams who are Senior teams in International could to that. We're truly an Open/Collegiate team

I don't see how it would be super easy for Rockstar considering 20 out of my 24 girls are in College, and most are too old to compete in Senior divisions. I bet Gym Tyme has mostly college girls as well. Only teams who are Senior teams in International could to that. We're truly an Open/Collegiate team

Same with all our open teams.

I think what you will see happen more often is the Jump from medium to large coed is a bit huge. IOC 5 hit a sweet spot with 12 boys (kinda like Semi). I see IOC5 taking a lot of boys from Large.

i know most international teams do have older kids, but some do not. thats why i said "granted that they are senior age eligible"

And, by that argument teams should be unlimited in the size they can be.

I always like to post this reminder for the newbies to show that teams really could be unlimited in size.

Back